2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK BMW ProtectX

08-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

BMW ProtectX

Evening all..

So I am just about to sign on the dotted line for a 14 plate 520, one of the things offered to me is the ProtectX treatment.

Now firstly I have no intention of paying for it, or certainly not the full price, but do any of you have any experience with the results.

I'm thinking if I can negotiate with it and get it for £100 or so it may be worthwhile?

Or is it just a complete waste, and spend the money on my own products!,
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I have it on mine. I don't think you ever need to polish the car ever again once it's been done.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
I have it on mine. I don't think you ever need to polish the car ever again once it's been done.
As long as you never take it to your local hand carwash where they spray you down with TFR (traffic film remover) first......say goodbye to your paint 'protection'.

Personally I don't think any of these things are worth it unless your getting a ceramic paint protection package which will cost significantly more and take a damn sight longer than the pdi valeters will take!
      08-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
Bazn
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 Alpine White 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post
As long as you never take it to your local hand carwash where they spray you down with TFR (traffic film remover) first......say goodbye to your paint 'protection'.
What Silo said... I'd put the money towards your own detailing gear if you like looking after your own car, or prepare for a professional detailing session once a year if you take it to your local car wash.

I spent 2 days preparing my wife's Antara - clay, polish, wax, etc. - had it gleaming when unknown to me she took it to our local car wash a few days later 'to keep on top of keeping it shiny'. It came back stripped of all the protection by their chemicals and had swirls back in the paint from them using their cloths that have been dropped '000s of times and water that never gets changed. To say I was p*ssed is putting it mildly!

But she has been educated and now means I get more time out 'playing' with the cars to keep them clean!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

Let's just say they wanted quite a lot of money anyway so its all down to me to get my products out!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Look up a local detailer and arrange for your new car to be delivered there without any dealer preparation. They will remove all the transit protection and apply ceramic coatings etc without introducing swirl marks etc. Many dealers do lots of damage to car paint in the first few hours. Any decent detailer will be happy to discuss what's best for you without any obligation. However this will be more than a 100. The technology and space-age chemicals used nowadays are not expensive but good old fashioned expertise and time-spent are as costly as ever.

Update : I've just realised that the car is not new. In which case take it to your detailer for an assessment. It is almost certain to need work before any protection is applied. There is no point sealing in the swirl marks.

Last edited by MrPogle; 08-03-2016 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Look up a local detailer and arrange for your new car to be delivered there without any dealer preparation. They will remove all the transit protection and apply ceramic coatings etc without introducing swirl marks etc. Many dealers do lots of damage to car paint in the first few hours. Any decent detailer will be happy to discuss what's best for you without any obligation. However this will be more than a 100. The technology and space-age chemicals used nowadays are not expensive but good old fashioned expertise and time-spent are as costly as ever.

Update : I've just realised that the car is not new. In which case take it to your detailer for an assessment. It is almost certain to need work before any protection is applied. There is no point sealing in the swirl marks.
+1 Take it to a detailer, it will most likely need a mop to remove any swirls before applying a ceramic coat. Will cost more but no point sealing a car which already has paint imperfections...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Agree that a detailed is your best option, they'll have it looking like new and easy to keep up to. I didn't bother with the BMW protection package and have looked after it myself, avoiding hand car wash places and there aren't any swirls in the paint, it's in great condition for a 20month old car with 45,000 miles. Apart from the stone chips.....

It was different with the Porsche. I paid for Swissvax treatment and 2.5 years down the line with 6 monthly top ups (by me), it's still pretty much self cleaning and very easy to keep looking great.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:41 AM   #9
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all, confirmed my thoughts.

Well they wanted £250 in the end do it, that was never going to happen.. I had very similar replies on detailing world as well. I'm looking forward to keeping my next BM clean, I hardly bothered with my merc I had in between!
Appreciate 0