2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Rear Left wheels pokes more than the right wheels

10-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
mubay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G35 - E92 335i AW/CR - F10 BSM

Rear Left wheels pokes more than the right wheels

I have recently put on 20" adv with aggressive offset and install BC coilover at the same time. For some reason, rear left wheels pokes out more than the rear right, may be 2-3mm more if I have to guess. Is this strictly alignment issue or I have mismatched offset? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubay View Post
I have recently put on 20" adv with aggressive offset and install BC coilover at the same time. For some reason, rear left wheels pokes out more than the rear right, may be 2-3mm more if I have to guess. Is this strictly alignment issue or I have mismatched offset? Thanks.
Check whether they both have the same offsets, first. Then if the wheels have the same offsets then perhaps camber alignment issue. I had a similar case on a different car a few months back and it turned out that the camber on the front passenger side is off..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
mubay
Private First Class
Rep

This is the left side, passanger side in Indonesia

This is the right side (driver) with 3/4 tank.

Last edited by mubay; 10-06-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Lightbulb I'm located in Jakarta too LOL

Quote:
This is the left side, passanger side in Indonesia

This is the right side (driver) with 3/4 tank.
I'm located in Jakarta too Anyway, looks like you've got a wrong offset from the pics..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
mubay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaleke View Post
I'm located in Jakarta too Anyway, looks like you've got a wrong offset from the pics..
Really? I will swap the rear wheels and see what happens. My tyre is outside/inside type, shouldn't be a problem i guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Really? I will swap the rear wheels and see what happens. My tyre is outside/inside type, shouldn't be a problem i guess.
Looks like it. At least to me. Try this, unmounts the wheel in question, look at the back of the wheel, you should see a writing "ET", and compare it to the other side
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

I highly doubt the wheels have different offsets then each other. Being that you're on coils make sure they are evenly lowered.
I know from experience that the right rear sits lower then the left which will make the wheel camber in more.

Tip, You might want to lower your rear right a bit more or raise your rear left a bit to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
mubay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
I highly doubt the wheels have different offsets then each other. Being that you're on coils make sure they are evenly lowered.
I know from experience that the right rear sits lower then the left which will make the wheel camber in more.

Tip, You might want to lower your rear right a bit more or raise your rear left a bit to compensate.
Did you mean raise the rear right or lower the rear left? Since the rear left is the one that is poking out. I will try to measure the height on each corner to make sure that the rear left needs more drop.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Did you mean raise the rear right or lower the rear left? Since the rear left is the one that is poking out. I will try to measure the height on each corner to make sure that the rear left needs more drop.
What LACSTER meant to say is that try lowering the side which your wheel is poking out
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
FElleven
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 M550d

As I was told by BMW representative, that is normal (rear axle off center), I have oem mpeformace wheels on my f11 (self leveling air suspension on the rear axle) and my rear right wheel is tucked in 3mm more than left one, same as in your case.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
mubay
Private First Class
Rep

I just got an alignment to run more camber on the back, around -2.20 and that side is still rubbing. Do you guys think running stretched tires would resolve the problem? I'm afraid that the wheels poke too much where the lip would hit the fender anyway (with stretched tires) if I ran into big dip on high speed. The highway pavement in Indonesia is really bumpy.
Appreciate 0