2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 14 535i Accident Repair, and where it goes from there...

05-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #23
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

I really like to follow the progress!

Very well documented as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #24
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton View Post
Thank you for creating this thread it is most enjoyable to follow.

I have one question, the 2 support bars attached to the suspension turrets and then to the plate at the front of the engine bay between the fenders and over the radiator, did they just collapse in the impact and therefore saving the turrets from damage?

I know from experience that thinking about taking pictures (and then posting about it) during a restoration like this can be a pain so kudos to you for keeping us informed.
Those support bars that go from the upper lateral tie bar, back to the strut towers on a 45 degree angle are actually originals to the car. They weren't bent in any way and bolted right back on with no fuss. They are tubular aluminum but are going to buckle in a bad collision no doubt. The pictures of the car before tear down really do look worse than it really was. There is so much plastic and impact structure at the nose of the car to dampen a reasonable hit before getting into the actual frame of the vehicle.

I enjoy taking pictures and documenting so no worries there will be plenty more
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #25
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

I am most definitely impressed!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #26
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Well this evening was very busy. I went by the dealer to pickup my new MSport rocker skirts, reflectors, some other misc parts then headed home.

Tonight project was reinstalling the black sunroof cassette and headliner.

Installing the cassette was an absolute bear with those grab handle brackets riveted in the way. I easily spent 2 exhausting hours trying to push, pry, coax, finagle etc that MF'er into position. I would not wish this job on anyone. Don't do it!

Now for the headliner, which was a walk in the park by comparison. It slides right in the rear door, up to the roof and clicks in place with numerous pop snap fasteners.

Sorry installed photos shall have to wait until tomorrow as I'm exhausted from ~4hrs in the hot garage following a 10 hour work day.... And the lighting is no good anyway.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #27
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

OK, this evening after work I had a customers car waiting on me when I got home, I knocked that out and got back to my F10.

I finished up installing the headliner, all I had left was the 2 rear grab handles, the b-pillars, and the 5 torx screws that go through the open sunroof threshold down into the front of the head liner to hold it up. All of that was straight forward.

The sunroof was only working manually at this point, no one-touch operation and not tilt operation. I figured it needed to be reinitialized being it was from an entirely different car. The procedure for the F10 is the same as other BMW's. With the engine running hold the TILT button up for 15 seconds and the roof will begin to move through its full range of motion. Pinch protection is disabled during the initialization run in so watch the fingers! Once the sunroof and slider moves through all positions it will park itself in the normal closed position and you're done. One touch and all operations now respond as before.

I also went ahead and recharged the AC system with 30oz of R134a and got it blowing nice and cold. With the AC now working I sat in the car and had a chance to play with the NBT system. I noticed the previous owner left some music on the onboard storage but could not figure out how to clear it out.

Hard to take pictures of a black headliner at night but I tried. Don't mind the dust, it still needs a wiping down with a damp microfiber towel.

The black suits the rest of the interior so much better than the factory original beige.

Last edited by Stück; 05-25-2016 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #28
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
"I noticed the previous owner left some music on the onboard storage but could not figure out how to clear it out."

This might work:
In the iDrive menu, go into any of the Settings menu's submenus, then "right-click" (choose "OPTION" on the iDrive controller), and there may be an option to delete all personal data, or something to that effect. I remember clicking into that option and seeing a warning that the car would have to be left alone for 15 or more minutes.
      05-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
korrosive
Rep
Drives: F10

Garage List
2012 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post

The sunroof was only working manually at this point, no one-touch operation and not tilt operation. I figured it needed to be reinitialized being it was from an entirely different car. The procedure for the F10 is the same as other BMW's. With the engine running hold the TILT button up for 15 seconds and the roof will begin to move through its full range of motion. Pinch protection is disabled during the initialization run in so watch the fingers! Once the sunroof and slider moves through all positions it will park itself in the normal closed position and you're done. One touch and all operations now respond as before.

First off I'm subscribed!! Wish I lived by you as I'd want to join in the fun. I too bought a rebuildable E60 some years ago and it was such a blast to work on to bring it back to it's original glory. Exchanging experiences with a fellow rebuildable adventurer on the forums was fun.

Unfortunately my selection process from ridesafely was not as Jedi-like as yours and I ended up with a flood damage vehicle. Repairs were well enough, but I never ever got the sound working in that ride. A post like this gives me the confidence to try it again.

Having said all that, thanks, for the tid-bit on recalibrating the sunroof. I will try that tonight as my F10 that just got back from the repair shop (collision) has an issue with the auto-operation and I think it needs to be recalibrated too.

Appreciate 2
      05-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #30
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Keep dem updates comin' braaaaaah!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #31
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #32
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the lack of updates last night, I did work "on the car" I drove all of the new and used body parts needing paint across town to my paint shop, Imperial Collision. They will be prepping and painting all of the parts Alpineweiss 3 for me.

This evening when I got home from work my task was to remove both damaged fenders, both base model rocker skirts, and the base model rear bumper. Removal of all parts was quite simple with bolts in logical locations and pop snap type fasteners everywhere else.

With the rear bumper off I also swapped out both intermediary plastic pieces between the bumper rebar and cover to the MSport variants as they are in fact just a bit different.

Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #33
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of updates last night
We'll let it slide this time, just make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm gonna use this thread with my dealer, "why can't you guys have fraction of attention to detail and care this guy has".
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #34
auaq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 530i

Nice one Stuck!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #35
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Its not too late for a twin turbo ls3
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #36
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Painter just sent this over to me, they just finished shooting the AW3 base.

Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #37
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

OK this evening I installed the driver side seat belt pretensioner, as the original one was deployed in the accident. Straight forward, 4 bolts to release the seat, then roll it on its side for access to the pretensioner. 2 wire connectors to R&R it.

You can see the difference between the new and the cinched down one:

Thinking I'd rectified all of the safety system related issues I finally went to clear the codes. Everything cleared successfully except one... "Belt force limiter, drive. Short-circuit to ground".... grrr... Initial poking around looks like I'm going to need a new drivers seat belt too. Looks like the little SOB has an airbag detonator in it as well. Belt still pulls and retracts normally however so its is entirely usable so long as you don't mind the airbag light....

Yay for more surprises!
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #38
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

This morning I called my local dealer up (again) and placed an order for the driver seat belt *grumble*

I went outside and decided it was time to get the headlights installed. The right side on my car looked intact but was badly damaged on the back side. I instead got this good used lamp assembly taken from a parts car, but I changed over all of my original bulbs/modules into it. It works flawlessly.

The drivers side on the other hand I had to buy brand new. My modules and bulbs survived the accident and were changed over onto the new headlight. Xenon bulb and turn signal are all that work however. No LED halos or accents functioning. Autel Diagnostics on the FRM3 show a LIN bus communication error with one of the driver side headlight control modules.

I swapped the RH control module from the car the RH headlight came from into the LH headlight, still the same problem... probably needs to be coded. I'm now installing ISTA-D on my laptop so I can get a more concise idea of what the problem is, and it should allow me to code/learn in a used module.

These cars are definitely a lot more electrically complex than what I'm used to working on.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #39
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

this has got to be an enjoyable build for you as i know i would be! i thought about it a few times to pickup an auction car that has some damage but didn't have enough resources like you do for discounted parts and what not. Kudos to you and keep up the build!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #40
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Alright I probably spent the better part of 6 hours downloading, installing and fighting terrible broken English instructions on where to put what files but I finally got ISTA-D up and running on my laptop with an ENET cable. Once actually installed with the right files in the right places it works phenomenally.

As expected the LH headlamp driver module was non responsive, as evidenced by the ISTA-D module tree:

I asked it to calculate a test plan, and the first suggestion was to check for power. Armed with the wiring diagrams provided through ISTA-D I now knew what wires to probe. The main supply line to the STML module was dead. Next logical move was the check the fuse notated as feeding the module in the diagram, F127 in the rear trunk fuse box.

Checking said fuse revealed it was in fact popped. Yes some progress. I looked at the fuse chart included with the car tucked in the box and it is a joke... BMW clearly does not want owners working on their own cars.

Now as soon as I replaced the fuse the passenger side headlight halos started flickering like a HDD activity indicator lamp Unplugging the drivers side headlight stopped the passenger side from flickering. I concluded the STML module on the drivers headlight is bad and causing disturbance on the bus.

I did have a spare from the donor headlight I believe ought to be good, so I swapped it in.

The passenger side headlight was happy now, but still no joy from the drivers side. I figured at very least the module I'd swapped it was from another car, and the right side at that so it needed to be calibrated.

I went through the test plan until I found the procedure to learn-in the LED's and told it to carry out the calibration. Oddly enough the left side immediately fails, and if you tell it to continue the right side goes through calibration bringing the left side online with it.

I still had NO communication with the STML, but for whatever reason the LED functions on the LH headlight were illuminated.

Unfortunately as soon as I power cycled the ignition the LH headlight went dead again. Re-running the learn-in calibration would bring it back up as before, but still with zero communication from the module.

My best guess at this point is that I need to buy a new STML module, but I hate to spend $360 on something like that (in stock at the dealer) when its a non returnable item and I don't 100% know for sure its my problem... pretty sure it will be but not 100%

Last edited by Stück; 05-29-2016 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #41
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Quote:
My best guess at this point is that I need to buy a new STML module, but I hate to spend $360 on something like that (in stock at the dealer) when its a non returnable item and I don't 100% know for sure its my problem... pretty sure it will be but not 100%
Why don't you try one of the online OEM parts sites?

Last edited by UA_civ_eng; 05-29-2016 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #42
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng View Post
Why don't you try one of the online OEM parts sites?
Because I have a wholesale account setup with my local dealer, I get 25-30% off list. Its pretty rare that they cannot beat an online price, and have it local, in my hands in minutes.

$480.73 is list price on the control module in question.

ECS seems to have the best online price.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/63117427607/
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #43
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

see...he got the hookup on discounts!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #44
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

This is a great thread. Congrats on your progress and attitude... I think they compliment each other!
Appreciate 0