2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Concavity difference in front and rear wheels?

10-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

Concavity difference in front and rear wheels?

This may sound like a noob question but is it ok for the front and the rear rims to have different concavity? I ordered the Avant Garde M510 beskpoke wheels and I am seeing that the rear wheels have significantly more concavity than the front wheels (barely any concavity). I thought that was a little odd but I don't really know much about wheels and in the past, I've only had stock wheels.

Wheels pic: http://www.carid.com/images/avant-ga...w-5-series.jpg

Last edited by sickwithit; 10-27-2013 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
SDf10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 YMB M3

Yes that is normal on those wheels. They are staggered (wider on the back) so it allows for more concavity. I have the same wheels on my wife's e92.
      10-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks sdf10. I figured as much. I just wanted to check because I've had a staggered stock set on both my e46 and f10 and I've never seen that before. I guess different rims, different styles. I'm not sure I like it but I'll just have to get used to it.

Speaking of wheels, my tire shop put on these wheels all wrong so I'll now have to go back to them. So on the driver side they did they right but on the passenger side it looks like they have the front and rear wheels reversed so I have the wider wheel in front. Obviously the tires on that side don't match the rims. I am actually surprised they were even able to put them on since one is 8.5 and the other 9.5. Anyway, I already drove on them for a good 25 miles or so and I'm wondering if this is horrible for the tires. I intend on going in and getting this fixed the moment I can do it, but that may be a couple of days out so I'm wondering if I will be ok to drive that car around or if I should use my other car instead.

Last edited by sickwithit; 10-27-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwithit View Post
Thanks sdf10. I figured as much. I just wanted to check because I've had a staggered stock set on both my e46 and f10 and I've never seen that before. I guess different rims, different styles. I'm not sure I like it but I'll just have to get used to it.

Speaking of wheels, my tire shop put on these wheels all wrong so I'll now have to go back to them. So on the driver side they did they right but on the passenger side it looks like they have the front and rear wheels reversed so I have the wider wheel in front. Obviously the tires on that side don't match the rims. I am actually surprised they were even able to put them on since one is 8.5 and the other 9.5. Anyway, I already drove on them for a good 25 miles or so and I'm wondering if this is horrible for the tires. I intend on going in and getting this fixed the moment I can do it, but that may be a couple of days out so I'm wondering if I will be ok to drive that car around or if I should use my other car instead.
Wait, they installed the wider wheel on front? and the 8.5 on the rear?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Its perfectly fine

These are my other rims also with some more concavity out back

10-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAM951 View Post
Wait, they installed the wider wheel on front? and the 8.5 on the rear?
Yes, on the passenger side, they did. If they actually put the right size tires on them I would have been a little less worried. But now I have a setup where on the passenger side, I have

Front: 9.5" wide rims with tires for 8.5 rims
Rear: 8.5" wide rims with tires for 9.5 rims

I know it's messed up. Is it drivable even for 100 miles without doing permanent damage?

Thanks MELLOWYELLOW06.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
sanyomats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535, 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
Its perfectly fine

These are my other rims also with some more concavity out back

Which wheels are those? Your second set? Looks very nice!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Wow, thats messed up. I would seriously think twice about going back to them ever again after you get this corrected. I understand mistakes and I have had places make mistakes as well but installing the wrong tires on the wrong wheels and then putting those in different places on the car.

Were they drinking while working on your car too! Do they know the meaning of quality control. Didnt anyone walk around and check the car or did anyone pay attention to the work being done at the time. Just bad, bad service. As long as your car is not all wheel drive, driving like this wont hurt the car but get it corrected as soon as possible. Not good at any level. Does it drive/handle sloppy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwithit View Post
Yes, on the passenger side, they did. If they actually put the right size tires on them I would have been a little less worried. But now I have a setup where on the passenger side, I have

Front: 9.5" wide rims with tires for 8.5 rims
Rear: 8.5" wide rims with tires for 9.5 rims

I know it's messed up. Is it drivable even for 100 miles without doing permanent damage?

Thanks MELLOWYELLOW06.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
Wow, thats messed up. I would seriously think twice about going back to them ever again after you get this corrected. I understand mistakes and I have had places make mistakes as well but installing the wrong tires on the wrong wheels and then putting those in different places on the car.

Were they drinking while working on your car too! Do they know the meaning of quality control. Didnt anyone walk around and check the car or did anyone pay attention to the work being done at the time. Just bad, bad service. As long as your car is not all wheel drive, driving like this wont hurt the car but get it corrected as soon as possible. Not good at any level. Does it drive/handle sloppy?
Oh, I got it corrected a day later so I didn't really get to drive it much like that. Just didn't want to take any chances. But yeah, I would be embarrassed if I'm that tire shop. It's inexcusable!
Appreciate 0