2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions 3 steeering wheel related fault codes after SZL with HBA button installation

03-21-2024, 05:09 PM   #1
mikola
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Garage List
2016 BMW 528i  [9.00]
3 steeering wheel related fault codes after SZL with HBA button installation

I couldn't wait to get my mirror with FLA camera and the SZL with the HBA (or FLA, whatever) button that I bought on ebay. Now that I've got them, I was ready to do my FLA retrofit on my F10 528i, 2016.

I was looking for the part 61319354048
(reference https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2348)

I found 61319245625, which is Bilaterally exchangeable as per this reference
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=61319354048

My steering wheel is M one with shift paddles.

Now, I've replaced the SZL with great pleasure, everything went smoothly. All the turn signals, light flashers, wipers, BC button, everything works as it used to. But, now I have 3 fault codes:

CF2101 - No message (operation of shift paddle, 0x207): Receiver EGS, transmitter FEM/SZL)
C98C04 - LIN bus, steering wheel electronics communication fault
C98402 - Message (control, vibration, steering wheel,110.1.2) missing, receiver steering column

I haven't done any coding yet. If we forget about the HBA feature for now, do we need to code just because of replacing the SZL?

Also, I've now noticed that the original listing of the SZL on eBay indicated: "FOR HEATED STEERING WHEEL" and maybe that caused the issue.

Sorry, I'm new to this Esys, let alone the BMW realm, that's why you might come across lots of noob questions. I'm trying to know if the part I bought is faulty, or if there's some other issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:31 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

You do need to code SZL to match your current VO and errors should go away. Only add HBA coding once you have completed your wiring and you should not have any errors
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:11 AM   #3
mikola
Azerbaijan
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 528i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
You do need to code SZL to match your current VO and errors should go away. Only add HBA coding once you have completed your wiring and you should not have any errors

Yeah, you were right. I did the following: (I know it's the basic stuff, but just for any newbie like me)

1. Connected the car to Esys (mine is 3.30 with Launcher Pro 2.81)
2. Read the FA(or VO), activated it by right clicking and choosing Activate(I'm not sure though whether activating the FA was necessary, but anyway)
3. Then I clicked Read All ECUs
4. In the left pane scrolled down to find the SZL. There was no CAFD file there
5. With SZL selected, on the right pane, clicked Detect CAFD for SWE button. There I selected version that was closest to my I- Step software version and clicked ok.(You can find out your software version by going to the VCM menu on the left, from there to Master tab, there in the I Step section press the Read button . There you'll find your current software version, along with the last and initial software versions)
6. The CAFD file must be listed now under SZL. Right-clicked on the SZL and select Code. Waited until it finished
7. Did the step 3 again and scrolled down to SZL to make sure all the entries are black under SZL.

Sorry, I don't have any idea about what to do ina rainly day scenario.

After that, I went ahead to ISTA and performed the Angle sensor adjustment procedure. And then deleted all the codes and read them again. The following codes were no longer there:

CF2101 - No message (operation of shift paddle, 0x207): Receiver EGS, transmitter FEM/SZL)

I still have the following though:

C98402 - Message (control, vibration, steering wheel,110.1.2) missing, receiver steering column

I think it's something related with my steering wheel not having the heating and/or vibration feature. I think I'll need to switch that off too somewhere. Currently I don't know how.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:55 PM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikola View Post

I think it's something related with my steering wheel not having the heating and/or vibration feature. I think I'll need to switch that off too somewhere. Currently I don't know how.
I don't see it in your posts, so just making sure....did you update your steering wheel control unit to ensure it supports all your functions on your steering wheel? Although P/N 61317848640 covers all the option, I wouldn't assume that's the P/N installed in your wheel from the factory....it's Find Number 3 in the parts catalog here.

Not sure I've captured the exact configuration of your car and steering wheel options, but you should ensure that the

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 03-24-2024 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:07 AM   #5
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Yeah, you were right. I did the following: (I know it's the basic stuff, but just for any newbie like me)

1. Connected the car to Esys (mine is 3.30 with Launcher Pro 2.81)
2. Read the FA(or VO), activated it by right clicking and choosing Activate(I'm not sure though whether activating the FA was necessary, but anyway)
3. Then I clicked Read All ECUs
4. In the left pane scrolled down to find the SZL. There was no CAFD file there
5. With SZL selected, on the right pane, clicked Detect CAFD for SWE button. There I selected version that was closest to my I- Step software version and clicked ok.(You can find out your software version by going to the VCM menu on the left, from there to Master tab, there in the I Step section press the Read button . There you'll find your current software version, along with the last and initial software versions)
6. The CAFD file must be listed now under SZL. Right-clicked on the SZL and select Code. Waited until it finished
7. Did the step 3 again and scrolled down to SZL to make sure all the entries are black under SZL.

Sorry, I don't have any idea about what to do ina rainly day scenario.

After that, I went ahead to ISTA and performed the Angle sensor adjustment procedure. And then deleted all the codes and read them again. The following codes were no longer there:

You did not actually update your VO. The SZL is coded to your current non-HBA VO coding, so certain FDL codings are not set properly, which is what is giving you the errors.

VO Coding tutorial

You want to add 5AC to the VO. Since your car did not come with paddle shifters, I'm going to assume you had the normal transmission, so replace 205 with 2TB to get the paddle shifter coding and a sportier transmission experience. While you're at it, you might as well remove 5AP to get the Variable Light Distribution (VLD) feature. After writing the VO to the car, go back to your coding section and just code every ECU to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:12 PM   #6
mikola
Azerbaijan
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 528i  [9.00]
Unspec, in fact, I've added the 5AC to the VO and did almost everything as you said, except I did not remove 5AP, as my headlights are just Adaptive Xenon, not LED, so I can't have variable light distribution anyway, can I?

And, btw, my car is equipped with paddle shifters and I have Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes, so my tranny is not an ordinary one.

Just to not flood the post with extra information about FLA retrofit details, I decided to skip that part.

Thanks for the answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:15 PM   #7
mikola
Azerbaijan
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 528i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
I don't see it in your posts, so just making sure....did you update your steering wheel control unit to ensure it supports all your functions on your steering wheel? Although P/N 61317848640 covers all the option, I wouldn't assume that's the P/N installed in your wheel from the factory....it's Find Number 3 in the parts catalog here.

Not sure I've captured the exact configuration of your car and steering wheel options, but you should ensure that the
M_Bimmer , by steering wheel control unit, do you mean the SZL, or is it something else? If it's something else then I haven't done anything regarding that one
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:39 PM   #8
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
M_Bimmer , by steering wheel control unit, do you mean the SZL, or is it something else? If it's something else then I haven't done anything regarding that one
I provided a hyperlink my post, but here it is again.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...oogle_vignette

It's item 3, and no it's not the SZL (or clock spring), and I've attached a picture of the steering wheel control module below, and is tucked away on the side of the steering wheel at about the 3-4 O'Clock position.

Do not assume that the steering wheel control module originally installed in your steering wheel supports all possible steering wheel functions...it does not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:45 AM   #9
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Unspec, in fact, I've added the 5AC to the VO and did almost everything as you said, except I did not remove 5AP, as my headlights are just Adaptive Xenon, not LED, so I can't have variable light distribution anyway, can I?

And, btw, my car is equipped with paddle shifters and I have Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ modes, so my tranny is not an ordinary one.

Just to not flood the post with extra information about FLA retrofit details, I decided to skip that part.

Thanks for the answer.
I have adaptive xenon and the VLD works. It's the anti-dazzle highbeam that doesn't work on xenon.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 01:57 PM   #10
mikola
Azerbaijan
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 528i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
I have adaptive xenon and the VLD works. It's the anti-dazzle highbeam that doesn't work on xenon.
Wow, I didn't know that. I'll give it a try and post back
Appreciate 0