2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW M550d X Drive Road Test by Chris Harris of Drive

03-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #23
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcapote View Post
Agree. This is the vehicle I want to talk my dad into getting instead of the X6, but this review was weak. "I dunno, something's missing."
Well you're fresh out of luck in South Florida. This car isn't coming here to the states...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
cidair
cidair
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive

I did consider the M550dx for a while to replace my 550ix. Low fuel consumption, good traction with xdrive, blablabla...
But then after selling the M3, and having owned a BMW diesel, I remembered the thrill of owning/driving a true M car .

Itīs so different from all other BMW cars. A tighter feeling in all aspects.
And a petrol engine is always better sounding/responding.
M = drivers car 100%.
      03-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #25
BLITZ
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E34 525i M-Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
They have an M badge just like the old M535i and M635i, but they aren't badged as true M cars you need to understand the difference. I know a guy who used to have an M635i so I know firsthand what that car was like and from what I'm reading, these new M Performance cars live up to their badging.

They are half-way M cars, designed for someone who wants a car that is a little sportier than a regular 5 series but doesn't need (or want to pay for) the full M5. You can't just look at the base price of the M5, you have to remember that M cars require Inspections every 15,000 miles which are a $1-2,000 expense the regular cars do not need, insurance rates are a little higher for M cars, gas mileage is significantly worse, etc. etc. there are plenty of reasons for a person to want a more understated sporty car. BMW's press releases indicate that these cars have firmer bushings than regular series production cars, unique suspension, hydraulic power steering instead of the electronic system in the normal cars...the bushings and power steering alone would make these cars worth it to me. I am very seriously interested in an M135i or M235i if I ever decide to let go of my E82.

Most people who are fanatical enough about BMWs to spend time on this forum would prefer the actual M5, that's obvious, but there is still a market for these cars and I'm glad they are finally making them.
The M635 is a proper Motorsport car. Its just how it was named, I'm sure it was called M6 in the US.

Dont look like an M30 to me

03-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #26
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Well you're fresh out of luck in South Florida. This car isn't coming here to the states...
He's in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
He said he was expecting more.

Well simply put...he was expecting a M-car. After all BMW put a M-badge on it.

What he drove was a high powered diesel car, nothing else.
Get over yourselves. Some "True M" owner always hops in all defensive-like when this topic comes up.

The M Badge has been amorphous from the start, it's been on inumerable body styles, engine configurations and cars with completely different intentions and reasons for being. Is there really anything in common between say the E30 M3 (built for homologation, small displacement straight four, light and nimble, 2 door), and the latest M5, (big heavy grand tourer that has so much power it can peel back asphalt with the tap of a foot)?

Why can't BMW try this new iteration of M on for size?

If your so concerned with M remaining sacrosanct, do you love the way your car drives, or your badge? True enthusiasts will still be able to pick the sports car out of the line-up (like the 1M), they won't be looking for badges or numbers (i.e. an S instead of an M or an N).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler
Quote:
He said he was expecting more.

Well simply put...he was expecting a M-car. After all BMW put a M-badge on it.

What he drove was a high powered diesel car, nothing else.
Get over yourselves. Some "True M" owner always hops in all defensive-like when this topic comes up.

The M Badge has been amorphous from the start, it's been on inumerable body styles, engine configurations and cars with completely different intentions and reasons for being. Is there really anything in common between say the E30 M3 (built for homologation, small displacement straight four, light and nimble, 2 door), and the latest M5, (big heavy grand tourer that has so much power it can peel back asphalt with the tap of a foot)?

If your so concerned with M remaining sacrosanct, do you love the way your car drives, or your badge? True enthusiasts will still be able to pick the sports car out of the line-up (like the 1M), they won't be looking for badges or numbers (i.e. an S instead of an M or an N).
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post

Don't get so butthurt because I speak the truth.

The video speaks for itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:

+1

These arguments always come from someone who thinks anything other than his personal M3 isn't a true "M" car lol. When in reality an "M" car is simply a high-performance variant of the line-up, whether it's the 1,3,5,6,7,X or Z series, and yes diesel series too.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #31
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
+1

These arguments always come from someone who thinks anything other than his personal M3 isn't a true "M" car lol. When in reality an "M" car is simply a high-performance variant of the line-up, whether it's the 1,3,5,6,7,X or Z series, and yes diesel series too.

Chris was expecting more. BMW led him on with the badge.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #32
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Chris was expecting more. BMW led him on with the badge.

Cheers
Yes, the video does speak for itself, it's a big steaming pile of sh*t, wish I could have those 10 minutes back, what rubbish. Don't get me wrong, I love this car, just didn't care for the review which was more like an artsy attempt at acting in a film short than it was a car review lol.

Funny, since an M5 or M6 will smoke your M3's arse all day long, I guess that makes your M3 not a true "M" car by your twisted logic.

Last edited by YolkyPalky; 03-09-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #33
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't get so butthurt because I speak the truth.

Ok. Thank you for the thoughtful contribution to the forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #34
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Yes, the video does speak for itself, it's a big steaming pile of sh*t, wish I could have those 10 minutes back, what rubbish. Don't get me wrong, I love this car, just didn't care for the review which was more like an artsy attempt at acting in a film short than it was a car review lol.
      03-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #35
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
It has more torque than the space shuttle

I don't think that "torque" means what he thinks it means.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #36
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Would it be cheaper to get a Dinan upgrade than getting a half-assed M car?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Lot more hate than I expected in here...

I wonder how many have actually driven a high-ish performance diesel? They really are awesome...not the same as the petrol engines, but still a great experience.

It's not as though this is replacing the M5, so I really don't see what the issue is with more options...not to mention one of the most advanced diesel engines in the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #38
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Lot more hate than I expected in here...

I wonder how many have actually driven a high-ish performance diesel? They really are awesome...not the same as the petrol engines, but still a great experience.

It's not as though this is replacing the M5, so I really don't see what the issue is with more options...not to mention one of the most advanced diesel engines in the world.
This is an interesting point. Aren't more options better? Isn't it nice that someone who isn't likely to have a chance to flog their V10 or V8 at 6k plus rpms on the way to work has an alternative? (Apparently the people at M thought so).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is an interesting point. Aren't more options better? Isn't it nice that someone who isn't likely to have a chance to flog their V10 or V8 at 6k plus rpms on the way to work has an alternative? (Apparently the people at M thought so).
I really don't understand why BMWNA isn't giving these cars a shot in the U.S. I would definitely be interested in them. I think if BMWNA marketed them correctly here they might be quite surprised at the market receptivity.

The marketing message could be something like "This isn't your father's diesel" while stressing the kick-ass M-performance numbers of HP and Torque, while at the same time highlighting the incredible gas mileage compared to equivalent performing petrol engines.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #40
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
They have an M badge just like the old M535i and M635i, but they aren't badged as true M cars you need to understand the difference. I know a guy who used to have an M635i so I know firsthand what that car was like and from what I'm reading, these new M Performance cars live up to their badging.

They are half-way M cars, designed for someone who wants a car that is a little sportier than a regular 5 series but doesn't need (or want to pay for) the full M5. You can't just look at the base price of the M5, you have to remember that M cars require Inspections every 15,000 miles which are a $1-2,000 expense the regular cars do not need, insurance rates are a little higher for M cars, gas mileage is significantly worse, etc. etc. there are plenty of reasons for a person to want a more understated sporty car. BMW's press releases indicate that these cars have firmer bushings than regular series production cars, unique suspension, hydraulic power steering instead of the electronic system in the normal cars...the bushings and power steering alone would make these cars worth it to me. I am very seriously interested in an M135i or M235i if I ever decide to let go of my E82.

Most people who are fanatical enough about BMWs to spend time on this forum would prefer the actual M5, that's obvious, but there is still a market for these cars and I'm glad they are finally making them.
+1000 Why cant you people understand the difference between an MX car and an MXXXi/d car? These are not pure "M" cars, dont get your panties in a bunch over it. That being said, I dont think its necessary to associate the d cars with the "M" marketing scheme as the diesel cars can stand on their own feet, but marketing is up to BMW. Though I am glad if the d cars get some candy restricted to the "M" lineup.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #41
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I personally don't think BMW should slap the M badge on these. But, there are many good points made here.

I feel in this review, he doesn't know what he wants. Its the perfect car, but sometimes he was expected to get whipped back in his seat with the rear end whipping around the turn. Not going to happen on an X drive.......

he was a confused soul on this one...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #42
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

There is a difference between M Performance and M.
Same difference has Audi with the S and RS models.
      03-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #43
ProperXI
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi, Space Grey, Coral Red

It's a 5series with 3turbos! How come people are not excited about that. It's a ridiculous advancement in motor technology.

I could only dream of adding a 20g turbo to my 2 14b's in the 335... I would push upwards of 600hp with a good tune.. I'd be eating Porsches and rarri's all day
Appreciate 0