2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Thinking of a 5GT for the wife......

04-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Mb23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It's a BM

Thinking of a 5GT for the wife......

Hey guys, New here on the GT forum and a long time BMW driver. I have had 5 x5's and an X6 at the moment. My wife has always had 3 series and I am now contemplating the 5GT for her. We are expecting in a few months and I think she will need something a bit bigger and something I can enjoy as well.

I currently have the 5.0 with ecu upgrade and I am wondering how the 535 is? Would I be happy with the engine? Do I need the 550? Is there any real big issues with the car?

Also if anyone has recently leased one, whats the average price points at no money down leases?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

While it's a big car, the low-end torque and the 8-speed transmission is more than adequate to stay in front of traffic and merge - it will easily cruise at 100mph or higher (I picked mine up in Munich) all day long. On a long trip, it can exceed the stated mpg if you're just cruising and aren't the leader of the pack (I got over 30mpg on the trip home from the PC in SC with an x-drive). It got good safety ratings when tested, and unless you go into a 7-series, you won't find another BMW with more room in the rear, and then, you'd need the long-wheelbase version to get it.

I
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
BMWMC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 528i Sedan and X5 4.8i SAV

Get her one! I had a 535GT for a few months and my wife drove it more than I did it seemed like. It's a car to get used too, but if you can handle a X6 as far as backing and handling, then you will be able handle the GT. Mine averaged almost 25mpg from what I remember!

The 535 was plenty of power for me...and I just recently got rid of a 550 sedan which had extreme power...but was better in a sedan than I think it would be in a GT. I had the GT for about 4 months - 16,000 miles and didn't have any issues with it; not one warning malfunction. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb23 View Post
Hey guys, New here on the GT forum and a long time BMW driver. I have had 5 x5's and an X6 at the moment. My wife has always had 3 series and I am now contemplating the 5GT for her. We are expecting in a few months and I think she will need something a bit bigger and something I can enjoy as well.

I currently have the 5.0 with ecu upgrade and I am wondering how the 535 is? Would I be happy with the engine? Do I need the 550? Is there any real big issues with the car?

Also if anyone has recently leased one, whats the average price points at no money down leases?

Thanks!
Personal--> '09 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV - Winter Frost / Charcoal
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
gmblack3
Paint Polishing Perfection
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335is '12 535i GT

Garage List
My wife loves "her" 535i GT. I'd agree that the 535i is plenty and the increased MPG is a plus. We just drove down to central FL, she drove and kept the cruise at 79, computer claimed 29.5 which I find to be .75 to 1 MPG on the plus side.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Great car. Got my wife one 4 months ago. Ordered 535 graphite on cinnamon with matt wood sports package... Etc
Fantastic looking car, especially when moving and passing by. Though I wanted the 550, I had to be a bit sensible since it would be the family car and 535 is capable even with such a hefty car. My wife loved the '09 X5 I had gotten her and wasn't sure she'd love the GT. sure enough she does.
I drive a ZCP e92 M3 and this car or any such large car would be hard to replace the driving experience. But the GT is great at cruising. Even when you enjoy driving a spirited and sharp car like an M3, you somehow would rather relax and cruise in the GT. its a great highway cruiser.
We went from the family car being a loaded X5 with 3rd row option to the GT. with 3 car seats I was worried. But it works. Sure there is no third row and not the largest trunk/hatch space. But you can get a lot of extra room when you need it by pushing rear bench forward to what would be a normal car's knee/leg room and unlatch the solid bulk head to lean up against 2nd row and suddenly you get easy 20% more cargo room.
That's only when you need it for airport luggage trips and such. Even with three little ones, we find that for us, massive train strollers aren't necessary, and hence we can keep a car like this vs an SUV or god forbid, a minivan
It's a unique car that car look fantastic so long as you build it right or find the right one built.
A few months ago were pretty good residuals on them. Don't know about now. All depends on how you build it and whether you special order or not. You may pay from upper 7s for a well equipped 535 and up. A 550 plus a bunch of options with no money down gets pretty expensive. I almost got a loaded 550 off the lot. But once it gets to around 80 with options and the V8, there is no way to keep the payment low. Consider euro delivery if your time allows. It may make enough of a difference in your monthly payment to make it worth your while. and euro deliveries in the right time if the year can be amazing.
I'll never forget mine in my M3 from a couple years ago.
Check it out on forum.
And if you have any more questions you'd like directing to me, PM me for I don't frequent the site often nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Mb23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It's a BM

Thank you so much for the insight on this....

Seems like I will be just fine with a 535GT for her and I think we will really enjoy it. I'm still about a year away but I am anxiously getting ready!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
BMWMC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 528i Sedan and X5 4.8i SAV

Sounds great man, private me if you have any questions or thoughts about the GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb23 View Post
Thank you so much for the insight on this....

Seems like I will be just fine with a 535GT for her and I think we will really enjoy it. I'm still about a year away but I am anxiously getting ready!

Thanks again!
Personal--> '09 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV - Winter Frost / Charcoal
Appreciate 0