2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pepper Spray or Mace in Car?

08-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
f10inSD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
OP, I wouldn't advise PS or mace. Simple things, like wind, can make things go sideways for you. Plus, it'll likely just piss off your attacker even more.

Instead, invest in some good self defense training if you feel the need. Krav Maga is a great start.

As others have mentioned here already, situational awareness and preparedness is your first line of defense. Practice and implementation are free, and it's a great tool to have on your side!

Compliance is a great way to avoid situations, and giving them your keys is all well and good in a carjacking scenario. Unless your baby is strapped into a car seat. Compliance turns to resistance in that situation. You just never know. I've been held at knife point and easily diffused the situation by throwing the dude my wallet. What that thug doesn't know is that he was 2 seconds from a dirt nap. Thankfully he left and I didn't have to shoot him.

I carry a weapon, and am prepared to use it if necessary. I've been shot at before and I'm glad I have one. But I also shoot 3-5,000 rounds annually, have TCCC training, CQC/shoothouse experience, etc. Owning and carrying a gun is a right in this country but I also believe it's a tremendous responsibility. It can be a force multiplier, but it's more of a liability than an asset in untrained hands.

Arm yourself as you see fit in your area and based on your needs. You'll get the, "Can't you just fight them off? Or call the cops?" Bottom line is I'm a husband and father, and I'm neither arrogant enough to assume I can Chuck Norris my way out of a situation, nor ignorant enough to assume the cops will have a lightning-fast response time.

You and only you are the first line of defense for yourself and your loved ones. Plan accordingly.
+1,000

Pepper spray and mace can turn into your worst enemy if you don't have training or experience with it. The effective range varies depending on wind and a bunch of other factors. Not to mention it doesn't do much to people who are drunk or high on drugs.

I'll get off my soapbox but one more thing... carrying a weapon without the proper training doesn't make you safe... it just ensures there's always something present to harm you when something happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #24
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Here is my Mace......

Comes loaded with hollowspray technology

Previous
2019 540, 2018 M3 CS, 2015 M3, 2011 550i, 2013 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10inSD View Post
+1,000

Pepper spray and mace can turn into your worst enemy if you don't have training or experience with it. The effective range varies depending on wind and a bunch of other factors. Not to mention it doesn't do much to people who are drunk or high on drugs.

I'll get off my soapbox but one more thing... carrying a weapon without the proper training doesn't make you safe... it just ensures there's always something present to harm you when something happens.

We'd be friends in 'real life'