2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Playing with Numbers: The 'Feel' of a 550i and a 535i

05-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #67
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the 3.0 R6 (I owned a 330i E90 back in 2005) but IMHO the 3.0 atmo is a bit too soft for that big elegant elephant on wheels called F10/F11. Even the 520d feels more powerful because of the torque
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
This comment is a good example of why some engines suit one driver, and not the preferred option for another.

I'm the exact opposite. I love the lazy feel from the V8 or the I6 diesels. So if I had to choose a 3.0 litre petrol I'd have the 535i with twin scroll turbo over the NA engine, just to get the low to mid torque band. That is not saying I don't like revs, so the 535i would be a good engine compromise in the range.
I'd actually love to try out a turbodiesel in a 5er, so it's a shame that they're not offering them in the U.S. They operate so much more efficiently than petrols, and yes even a 520d will give very nice in-gear acceleration from all of the torque. I think a 525d would be just about perfect. I'm actually ok with widely varying types of engines and powerbands, just so long as it's a well-executed powertrain including transmissions that don't leave me wanting, operates in a polished and refined manner, and isn't so powerful that I can't enjoy it which leads to frustration on my end.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #68
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
A 550 would just be suicide around here. I already opened it up to get around some traffic going east on Rt. 50 back in April. I don't even think I had gotten off the gas when I flashed by the Arlington County copy going 72 in a 45. Ask me how I know my exact speed...
Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbazo View Post
Given your scenario, you did save $15k and that is a fact that cannot be ignored, your decision to go with the 528 was influenced by this $15k, it was not the only factor, but it was part of the decision.
No.

With what we're offered in the U.S., and based on where I live right now, my favorite is clearly the 528 regardless of price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Even if the 528 and 550 were the same price I would STILL buy the 528. It's just what I like and prefer period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbazo View Post
I went for the 550, I realized going with the 535 was a cost savings decision, but I really wanted the 550.
In a way, I envy you because you can be happy with the 528; I have this "handicap" , a weakness for cars, the best cure I can afford is a 550.
I think you just proved my point. It's NOT about the money, it's about getting what you want and what you would like best. Yes I'm lucky that I don't have to spend extra to get what I want, but that's primarily location dependent. If I was in Germany or out in the midwestern U.S. where I used to live I'd probably be in the same exact boat as you, trying to be satisfied with the 535i as the more "reasonable" choice. Except when I matted the F10 535 from about 45 to 90 I just wasn't impressed. It didn't feel any faster than one of the Toyotas I have right now, and mag test numbers show it's not just a perception thing either. They're actually pretty close! So the 550 is what I would really want for a real speed thrill, too.
Appreciate 0