2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Isofix child seat little space for seat belt

11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Isofix child seat little space for seat belt

Hi folks,

Wondering if any of you with child seats find it very hard when bukling the seat belt, I have couple of Britex seats group 2-3 (4y to 12y) and it is always a nighmare when putting the seat belt on my kids 4 and 7y find it impossible unlike when in my wife X3, and I find that I am always negociating this with the very litle space between the seat and the belt.
In fact I winder how safe it is if you need to get out of the car urgently.

Do other seat have the same issue, i.e. is it down to the Britex seat? I has no problems with my ex E60, and both car come with out the option of split rear seats, if I knew this option give me proper cassing for the isofix hooks I will gone for it.

Any of you folks have the problem with BMW junior seat I- II, without ISOFIX?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

No problems here. I have the BMW junior seat I- II, with ISOFIX and it works a treat!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

It is a terrible design flaw on BMW's part, IMHO. I was extremely frustrated each morning trying to buckle my son up (he is 6 and uses a booster seat) until I found the "Bubblebum" booster seat, which is the narrowest booster seat available and is recommended by the IIHS as a "Best Bet". This one fits perfectly but it takes sometime to learn how to thread the seat belt through. If your child is the right size, this can solve your problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
No problems here. I have the BMW junior seat I- II, with ISOFIX and it works a treat!
Hi psyxologos, thanks for your response, your ok because with the F11 you get the option as standard the one to do with the isofix hooks in a casing rather than hidden between seat.
What I am after is if other car seats like the BMW one, leave space for the belt when the car is not fitted with seat recline option (4 doors F10), when buying my car I never realised that the reline option give you easy access to the Isofix hence maybe also more space for the belt.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpgomez2 View Post
It is a terrible design flaw on BMW's part, IMHO. I was extremely frustrated each morning trying to buckle my son up (he is 6 and uses a booster seat) until I found the "Bubblebum" booster seat, which is the narrowest booster seat available and is recommended by the IIHS as a "Best Bet". This one fits perfectly but it takes sometime to learn how to thread the seat belt through. If your child is the right size, this can solve your problem.
Hi juanpgomez2, Sound like an option, I like to check this out I am not sure if this is ok with the regulations in Ireland, if sold in the UK should be fine as they tend to be the same rules.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

The seat belt latch locations in the F10 rear seat are terrible. With a booster, they are located under the booster rather than beside. I have to slide over and angle the booster against the side bolster of the seat back to get access to the latch. As a result the seat does not fit flat against the seat back, rather it is slightly angled and all the pressure from the weight of my son is focused to one small edge of the booster against the seat back. Now I have a small tear in the leather because of this. I'm glad I purchased the lease protection - always a good idea when you have small kids.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
The seat belt latch locations in the F10 rear seat are terrible. With a booster, they are located under the booster rather than beside. I have to slide over and angle the booster against the side bolster of the seat back to get access to the latch. As a result the seat does not fit flat against the seat back, rather it is slightly angled and all the pressure from the weight of my son is focused to one small edge of the booster against the seat back. Now I have a small tear in the leather because of this. I'm glad I purchased the lease protection - always a good idea when you have small kids.
Thanks for the pictures, this somehow clarifies to me that even with the option folding rear seats and casing for the isofix the space between the isofix hooks and the seat belt is still the same, what a screw up from BMW, how they managed this I am not sure, especially when the E60 was fine a nice clearance between the two, hence easy job for my kids and myself.
I see no difference between the Britex car seats I have and the BMW one, since they are the same Britex seats rebranded, I be testing one next time at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

a video from youtube on the issue

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Thanks for the pictures, this somehow clarifies to me that even with the option folding rear seats and casing for the isofix the space between the isofix hooks and the seat belt is still the same, what a screw up from BMW, how they managed this I am not sure, especially when the E60 was fine a nice clearance between the two, hence easy job for my kids and myself.
I see no difference between the Britex car seats I have and the BMW one, since they are the same Britex seats rebranded, I be testing one next time at the dealer.
Resurrecting a dead thread, but I am working the child seat issue so I thought I would share some data points.

First off, the spacing on ISOFIX and LATCH are specified by EU/DOT/whoever. BMW didn't decide on the spacing of the fittings, but they did decide on the location and structure.

I bought this car to replace an e46 330i when we had our third child. Our kids are currently 5 (booster), 2 (forward facing convertible), and 4mo (bucket). I ended up with 2x Diono Malibu for the older kids, and a Chicco Keyfit bucket in the middle. The bucket is a little bit wedged in between the two other seats, but it clicks into the base without too much effort. I had to buy a seatbelt extender for the passenger side seat, as there was no way to get at the buckle in between the two seats. But in the end, all three fit and I get to keep a sedan, and don't have to drive an SUV or minivan everyday.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

[QUOTE=mko9;16247942]Resurrecting a dead thread, but I am working the child seat issue so I thought I would share some data points.

First off, the spacing on ISOFIX and LATCH are specified by EU/DOT/whoever. BMW didn't decide on the spacing of the fittings, but they did decide on the location and structure.

God help us with the freaks down in Brussels screwing us in every corner of life, while at a desk with nice fat public salary, they do come up with non-sense to justify the $ they getting, I simply don’t see how it is safe to not be able to open the seat belt right away in emergency if you need to vacate your vehicle fast.

Going back to the subject, the rule must be new because my previous car was a 2008 facelift e60, had no issues, in fact my now 9 year old was able to buckle up with no issue, but once we moved to the F10 this was simply not possible without the extensions, today with my 9, 6 and 2months old baby, we simply use my wife x3 it is simply a pain in the back side to use the F10, fitting a rear facing seat with 2 boosters plus the limited leg room is simply not practical, kids like space so the X3 is the car for family trips.
Appreciate 0