2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum On/Off button

08-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive M sport

Question On/Off button

according to the description of comfort access keyless entry, it says with it you could push on/off button without inserting your key
I thought with the on/off button you don't have to insert keys in at the first place, or you do before pressing it?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
on F10 there is no key inserting with or without comfort access.

there is a dummy key holder.

comfort access option only add comfort entry.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
flyguy708_2000
535i Dark Graphite Metallic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i

Be sure to press the on/off button twice, once turns off the engine and the second time it turns off the radio etc. If you don't you will run your battery down.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
If you only hit the on/off button once to leave the radio on, the radio will turn off on its own when the computer goes to sleep (about 20 minutes later). Also, if you lock the car, via the remote, the radio will turn off immediately.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
In the 530d demo car I had a few months ago. I tried an experiment.
The car was started and I walked away from car and noted it carried on running. I should have found out when it would stop the engine but didn't have time. I may try it when I get mine.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
The car was started and I walked away from car and noted it carried on running. I should have found out when it would stop the engine but didn't have time. I may try it when I get mine.
I'm pretty sure it'll continue running until it has no more fuel. The only time I've ever left the car while it was running is to pick up my mail when someone is in the car. The computer screen brings up an error message about the remote not being detected, but the engine continues to run.

FYI, the radio and all power accessories also shut off if you use comfort access (touch the door handle on the grooved area) to lock the car.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
The car was started and I walked away from car and noted it carried on running.
I had an Infiniti "M" with keyless start and,once or twice,I walked away from the car,still running,with the keyfob in my pocket.It would beep and,upon hearing the beep,I immediately went back to the vehicle so I,like you,am not sure what would have happened if I kept walking.One would think for several reasons,however,that it would stop running at some point.but that's just a hunch on my part.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
I had an Infiniti "M" with keyless start and,once or twice,I walked away from the car,still running,with the keyfob in my pocket.It would beep and,upon hearing the beep,I immediately went back to the vehicle so I,like you,am not sure what would have happened if I kept walking.One would think for several reasons,however,that it would stop running at some point.but that's just a hunch on my part.
It doesn't stop running until the on/off button is pressed or until it runs out of fuel. I know because on a couple of occasions, I had my car valeted but took the key fob with me. The valet parked the car and shut it off, but he couldn't bring it back to me because he had no way to restart the engine without the fob. daa . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
tk005x
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Yeah the car will keep running, because if you were actually driving somewhere without the key you wouldn't want the car to shut off.

The car will beep though once the key is a certain distance away.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
Bandman
eyeing July 2011 for European Delivery!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Z3 Impala Braun 2.8

We had an "almost" bad experience the other day. My wife had the fob in her pocket but I was driving. I dropped her off at work - and almost forgot to get the fob from her! Would have been ugly had I continued on to work, shut off the car, then be stuck. . .

I suppose the screen would have warned me had she traveled too far away from the car. But it scared me all the same. . .
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

Comfort Access FOB Questions

I am planning to order the comfort access with the 535. I assume that if both my wife and I have a FOB in our respective pocket or purse that dropping off my wife at work and driving off would not be an issue since there will still be a FOB in my pocket.

Is it true that you can lock the car by merely touching the door handle. Also do you lock the car in the same manner. Can you lock and unlock the car in a similar manner to a convention FOB. Sorry for the dumb questions but I have never owned a car with this new sort of FOB. Finally thanks to this forum for posting a number of different situations that could occur with this newfangled FOB. It appears that you have to get accostomed its quirks.

One final question. At the dealer, I notice that with comfort access the trunk opens and closes electronically. Can you close and open the trunk from the FOB? I also notice that there are two switches on the trunk lid to close the lid. When you press on, the trunk closes. The other switch is marked with a "locked car" symbol. I assume that when you press this buttom, the trunk closes and then locks. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Whistler
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

kjando-

Comfort access allows you to lock/unlock doors and unlock trunk with the fob still in your pocket. You can always push the buttons on the fob in the conventional manner to do the same.

I've had this feature since my 2007 328i coupe and wouldn't go back to not having it. Very convenient feature to just walk up to the car and grab the handle.

Grab the handle to unlock the door, touch the "spot" on the handle to lock all doors. Similarly, walk up to the trunk and grab the handle to unlock the trunk.

The "lock" button inside the trunk lid will lock all doors upon trunk closure. Procedurally, drive home, get out of the car and open the trunk, remove bags, push lock button, close trunk, and walk away. The car will flash the lights when the truck closes to indicate that the car has been locked.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

Whistler,

Thank you for the excellent description of the comfort access. I think I now understand how it works. However, I have one scenario which may be a problem. I normally go with my wife to a supermarket and park the car in the lot about 30 ft from the entrance. Suppose I lock the car and then enter the supermarket. Suppose I am at the checkout stand which is again about 30ft from my parked car. Does that mean that an interloper in the parking lot could press the handle on the car and enter while I am at the checkout stand or is the FOB designed that it's range is limited to less than say 5 ft?

What about if I mistakenly leave the FOB in the car, i.e. on the console between the driver and passenger seat? Is there an interlock such that I can't lock both the doors and the trunk when I step out of the car? I can also see a scenario where I exit the car and then open the trunk of the car to retrieve something and then press the button with the lock symbol on the trunk lid to lock both the car and the trunk. I assume that it will place the car and trunk in the locked state but again anyone can open the car by pressing the driver door handle.

Any clarification from you or anyone else with experience with the BMW comfort access option on the F10 series or previous BMW models would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
alex_c
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjando View Post
Whistler,

Thank you for the excellent description of the comfort access. I think I now understand how it works. However, I have one scenario which may be a problem. I normally go with my wife to a supermarket and park the car in the lot about 30 ft from the entrance. Suppose I lock the car and then enter the supermarket. Suppose I am at the checkout stand which is again about 30ft from my parked car. Does that mean that an interloper in the parking lot could press the handle on the car and enter while I am at the checkout stand or is the FOB designed that it's range is limited to less than say 5 ft?

What about if I mistakenly leave the FOB in the car, i.e. on the console between the driver and passenger seat? Is there an interlock such that I can't lock both the doors and the trunk when I step out of the car? I can also see a scenario where I exit the car and then open the trunk of the car to retrieve something and then press the button with the lock symbol on the trunk lid to lock both the car and the trunk. I assume that it will place the car and trunk in the locked state but again anyone can open the car by pressing the driver door handle.

Any clarification from you or anyone else with experience with the BMW comfort access option on the F10 series or previous BMW models would be greatly appreciated.

The Comfort Access system has many antennas around the car, inside and out. You can't open the car unless the key is very close to the door you are unlocking. Around 2 to 3 ft.

The system also detects if the key is inside or outside the vehicle. You can't lock the car if the key is inside.

If you are inside the vehicle with the key (also inside), and lock the door, nobody will be able to open the door from the outside.

The whole Comfort Access was designed to work as expected. No surprises. Maybe with the exception of the time when I dropped off my wife at the mall, she had the keys in her purse, I got back home and I realized that if I stoped the car, I would not be able to lock it or re-start it again to go pick her up... had to drive right back and ask her for the key. Ughhhh!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #15
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
The whole Comfort Access was designed to work as expected. No surprises.
My dealer demonstrated some of this, threw the fob in the trunk and closed it. Car dinged and trunk opened automatically. It's a slick demo.
Appreciate 0