2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealer Says New Head

03-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
NC M550 VADER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i x-drive

Dealer Says New Head

About three weeks ago I started having extended cranks (not so much at cold start up, but routinely upon warm restarts). I wasn't particularly concerned as the car is still under warranty and I had a few minor nagging issues that I wanted to have the dealer address anyway. Well, last week I got the dreaded CEL and "drive train malfunction, drive moderately" warning so I immediately brought the car in for service.

Just before dinner the SA emails me and says "our foreman has determined that you need a new head as the injectors are loose. BMW has authorized the repair and we will get it completed ASAP."

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I sure am glad that this happened on their dime. That said, should I be concerned about the long term health of the car? I did notice that my mileage was pretty ghastly before this went down, but I am usually in sport-mode and it's mostly local driving.

I have only owned the car for about 6 weeks and I LOVE it, having just completed phase one of my mods. Hopefully, this is a routine procedure and shouldn't cause me any anxiety, but I would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Just one head?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
NC M550 VADER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just one. Should I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Just wondering about the other bank. I don't think I would be concerned if they've tested it and found it is free of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Hmm.....i would confirm its just one head/bank that they are replacing.

2011-2013 550's are notorious for injector issues so i would push for all the injectors to be replaced with the latest and greatest as well as both heads being swapped out. Hell for me i think I would even try to get a new crated motor because i don't have much faith in the bmw mechanics doing such a big job.

Alan
      03-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqyankee View Post
About three weeks ago I started having extended cranks (not so much at cold start up, but routinely upon warm restarts). I wasn't particularly concerned as the car is still under warranty and I had a few minor nagging issues that I wanted to have the dealer address anyway. Well, last week I got the dreaded CEL and "drive train malfunction, drive moderately" warning so I immediately brought the car in for service.

Just before dinner the SA emails me and says "our foreman has determined that you need a new head as the injectors are loose. BMW has authorized the repair and we will get it completed ASAP."

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I sure am glad that this happened on their dime. That said, should I be concerned about the long term health of the car? I did notice that my mileage was pretty ghastly before this went down, but I am usually in sport-mode and it's mostly local driving.

I have only owned the car for about 6 weeks and I LOVE it, having just completed phase one of my mods. Hopefully, this is a routine procedure and shouldn't cause me any anxiety, but I would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!
CPO car? Care to share your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
NC M550 VADER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
CPO car? Care to share your dealer?
Original warranty. Performance in Chapel Hill, NC.
Appreciate 0