2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Confession time - (what is wrong with me?)

07-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Confession time - (what is wrong with me?)

Unfortunately I got rear ended few days ago. Typical fender bender, driver behind me managed to stop on time, but not the one behind her.
I chose to not let this bother me much, these things happen and everyone's fine, damage (for now - only been to body shop but not the actual service area) doesn't seem extensive and it's getting fixed fairly quickly by BMW body shop with great reputation. At the end of the day it's just a car that will be repaired properly.

Which brings me to my "what is wrong with me?" question.

I decided to have some fun with the rental in the meantime and picked up Dodge Ram "Outdoorsman" among sea of Kias and Hyundais off the rental company lot. I just wanted to try something "different" I guess.

I know next to nothing about these things and while they would serve my current active family lifestyle well, never really even so much as played with the idea of truck ownership. My initial reaction was "whoa, this thing is big" and cynical "just as I thought, of course it has great cup holders", but few days into it and I must admit that nice little 5.7L - V8 Hemi, 395 HP with apparently 400 lbs of torque is starting to grow on me. Cabin is incredibly well insulated, and engine and transmission seem very well sorted out. It handles, well, like I would expect a huge pick up truck with 17" wheels and massive sidewall tires would, but it's amazingly comfortable long distance cruiser.
With current (11K off) promotion for cash purchases, truck like this can be had brand new for 38K CAD "all in", (for comparison that doesn't get you into base BMW 320 these days). This one is pretty basic, besides 4x4 I don't think it has many options, and it is literally brand spanking new (3K km on the clock), but I'm starting to feel that I could maybe live with this for a while - I must be honest, a little ashamed of myself at the time....lol

PS. Trip to the gas station yesterday offered some sobering facts and managed to ruin this honeymoon phase quite quickly.

Last edited by Bbb34; 07-23-2017 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Unfortunately I got rear ended few days ago. Typical fender bender, driver behind me managed to stop on time, but not the one behind her.
I chose to not let this bother me much, these things happen and everyone's fine, damage (for now - only been to body shop but not the actual service area) doesn't seem extensive and it's getting fixed fairly quickly by BMW body shop with great reputation. At the end of the day it's just a car that will be repaired properly.

I decided to have some fun with the rental in the meantime and picked up Dodge Ram "Outdoorsman" among sea of Kias and Hyundais off the rental company lot. I just wanted to try something "different" I guess.

I know next to nothing about these things and while they would serve my current active family lifestyle well, never really even so much as played with the idea of truck ownership. My initial reaction was "whoa, this thing is big" and cynical "just as I thought, of course it has great cup holders", but few days into it and I must admit that nice little 5.7L - V8 Hemi, 395 HP with apparently 400 lbs of torque is starting to grow on me. Cabin is incredibly well insulated, and engine and transmission seem very well sorted out. It handles, well, like I would expect a huge pick up truck with 17" wheels and massive sidewall tires would, but it's amazingly comfortable long distance cruiser.
With current (11K off) promotion for cash purchases, truck like this can be had brand new for 38K CAD "all in", (for comparison that doesn't get you into base BMW 320 these days). This one is pretty basic, besides 4x4 I don't think it has many options, and it is literally brand spanking new (3K km on the clock), but I'm starting to feel that I could maybe live with this for a while - I must be honest, a little ashamed of myself at the time....lol

PS. Trip to the gas station yesterday offered some sobering facts and managed to ruin this honeymoon phase quite quickly.

Nothing wrong with owning a truck. I have a Chevy Silverado along with my M5 for when I have to haul wood and stuff.
I would just say before you settle on Dodge give Ford and Chevy a test drive also.

I owned a Ford F-350 Dually King Ranch that I bought new in 2006 and that was the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. The seats were like Lazy Boy recliners.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      07-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

I debated between truck and the 550i when I was shopping. And am now toying with replacing wife's 335i with a truck and giving her the 550i for kid hauling duty, and I'd take truck for daily.
I would recommend taking a look at the F150 XLT. IMO a lot nicer than the Ram. With their 3.5L Ecoboost turbo you get same power as the Ram but better mileage. Even the 2.7L is impressive.
The Chevy/GMC is nice too, I their V8s get decent mileage, they cut cylidners out during low load, so essentially it's a V8 when on the gas and V6 when cruising.

Been a few years since I drove all 3 back to back, but the Ford wins for me. Had a Ram 3500 rental for a week, had to exchange (bad tire) it last two days for a F350, wished we had the 350 the whole time.. That PowerStroke diesel is amazing!
Matt
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      07-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Bro! you gotta have a truck! i can't live without my truck. i use it for everything. from moving, picking large items from the store or towing things around. love my Nissan Titan so much i lifted that *itch!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      07-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Ha ha, thanks guys, you made me feel a bit better, but still....
What I didn't communicate properly in my first post is that I'm as far as one can possibly be from every having any interest in owning a truck. Every other house in the neighborhood has one, and I was never even slightly tempted.

Yes I have rented few trucks while ago, but never really saw the appeal. I always assumed you buy one if you "needed" one, be it for business, towing or living in rural area, using it for farming duties and what not. But what this one did for me is, uhm... yeah, I kinda get it now, this isn't so bad at all. From what my friends tell me, for whatever their opinion is worth (one is Ford F15 owner), Dodge isn't what they would personally pick, but honestly I found there's lots to like. I'm sure V8 helped me form favorable opinion as this is otherwise pretty stripped down truck when it comes to options/luxury.
For sure I would compare few of them before picking my favorite.
(I personally like the look of Ford trucks the best, a bit "square" but I find them most "rugged"- though that's subjective of course)

We're also very active family, mountain biking, skiing, camping, frequent trips to lakes, on the go all the time, and have brutal winters where we live, so 4x4 can't hurt (though my RWD is still fun, even during the winter ). So now when I "saw the light" and gave it a bit of thought, this would indeed fit into our lifestyle perfectly. Who knows, maybe one day.

Trips to gas station are just brutal though, if I ever decided to get one, I'd most likely look for diesel.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

my truck is a longbed so she hold 37 gallons! great for long trips but same in my neighborhood. every house hold will have a truck sitting out front. i can't tell you how useful a truck is especially being a home owner. and that's why i gotta have my sport sedan and a lifted truck. best of both worlds! good luck with whatever you decide!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
my truck is a longbed so she hold 37 gallons!.....
YIKES!!!!!! At Costco that would be about $88 for a fill here!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
gas at Sam's Club is $1.94 so that's $71.78 at least here in OHIO
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
Trips to gas station are just brutal though, if I ever decided to get one, I'd most likely look for diesel.
With right truck/engine combo you will get same MPG as the 535i in most cases, atleast compared to our 335i and 550i.
Twice the fuel capacity is what hurts, but if you only fill up 1/2 as often, it's not any different.

Just stay away from the smaller diesels (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and new Ford F150 Diesel), very unimpressive when you step on the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

I just got my Tacoma a few months ago.. this is my segway into the truck world and surprisingly, i love it!! Im on the fence about buying out my tacoma as im currently leasing it. im leaning towards the big trucks next but this tacome 6 spd manual has been pretty awesome!
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      07-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
Abacus
Rep
Drives: F11 320d msport

Quote:
Or $218 in the uk (that's not a typo, $218!!)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #12
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Beast_NYC View Post
I just got my Tacoma a few months ago.. this is my segway into the truck world and surprisingly, i love it!! Im on the fence about buying out my tacoma as im currently leasing it. im leaning towards the big trucks next but this tacome 6 spd manual has been pretty awesome!
The Taco's are nice trucks, great looking and as reliable as the universe, but I hear the ride quality will beat you to death. One of the few vehicles you can drive a few years and still sell it for about what you paid for it
      07-25-2017, 11:24 PM   #13
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
Quote:

Nothing wrong with owning a truck. I have a Chevy Silverado along with my M5 for when I have to haul wood and stuff.
I would just say before you settle on Dodge give Ford and Chevy a test drive also.

I owned a Ford F-350 Dually King Ranch that I bought new in 2006 and that was the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. The seats were like Lazy Boy recliners.
Yeah... I used to scoff at domestics until I rode in a coworkers F150 lately... i don't know what trim... but it had every bell and whistle imaginable... including massaging seats that rivaled a S Class.... better than my lumpy F10 massage!
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      07-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Yeah... I used to scoff at domestics until I rode in a coworkers F150 lately... i don't know what trim... but it had every bell and whistle imaginable... including massaging seats that rivaled a S Class.... better than my lumpy F10 massage!
Hard to believe. I'm sure the truck may have been nice, but honestly incomparable to an S-class.
      07-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
saad2605
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White 528i

Garage List
2021 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
gas at Sam's Club is $1.94 so that's $71.78 at least here in OHIO
Down here in California, we wish we could see those types of prices. Right now, the lowest prices in my area at a Costco or Sam's are about $2.50. I'm in the Inland Empire/Riverside County. If you come down to Los Angeles the cheapest price anywhere is about 2.60 and on Cash. So filling that up would get pretty close to $100. Not to long ago I was actually filling up my SUV at about $2.70 in the IE.

Edit: plus the way things are heading down here with all the new taxes and laws, it might be going back up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #16
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by saad2605 View Post
Down here in California, we wish we could see those types of prices. Right now, the lowest prices in my area at a Costco or Sam's are about $2.50. I'm in the Inland Empire/Riverside County. If you come down to Los Angeles the cheapest price anywhere is about 2.60 and on Cash. So filling that up would get pretty close to $100. Not to long ago I was actually filling up my SUV at about $2.70 in the IE.

Edit: plus the way things are heading down here with all the new taxes and laws, it might be going back up.
The Costco near me has premium for $2.699.

Yeah; I heard that the gas taxes alone will add up to almost a dollar per gallon I CAN'T WAIT to move out of this jacked-up state!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #17
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Hard to believe. I'm sure the truck may have been nice, but honestly incomparable to an S-class.
The massage function only. It's foolish to say a F150 in every way would rival a S Class.... go to the Ford dealer and check it out. It actually has kneading function in the seats!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
saad2605
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White 528i

Garage List
2021 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saad2605 View Post

The Costco near me has premium for $2.699.

Yeah; I heard that the gas taxes alone will add up to almost a dollar per gallon I CAN'T WAIT to move out of this jacked-up state!!!
Oh that's sounds like so much fun. But yeah for premium it's the same here. The prices I mentioned were for 87 assuming that the titan doesn't take premium. But if I saw those prices after living here I might just fill up premium for the hell of it... well probably not but you get the point.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #19
gulfstream69xr7
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Why choose between a truck, SUV, of F10?

Buy one of each.

F250
Discovery II
535XI

Last edited by gulfstream69xr7; 07-29-2017 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      07-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #20
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Beast_NYC View Post
Yes, the ride is a bit bouncy on new york roads. I might go for a full size truck as next. and yes, the taco's have great resale value. im currently leasing it and im only paying $300/mo on it including maintenance. : )
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #21
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

I have a 2014 Laramie Ram 2500, and surprisingly I'd say the electronics (Dash, Radio, iPod/iPhone Control, Voice Command, etc..) is light years ahead of my F10. It also has heated and vented seats which should be standard on a 5-Series BMW, but isn't.

It's primary use is pulling a 35' Trailer, which is why I have the diesel. It is my second Ram diesel truck, and I have no interest in going back to gas. Better MPG, pulls like a freight train and rides extremely nice. For those that say diesel maintenance is bad, this is a BMW forum, trust me it is nothing compared to our F10's.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #22
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
You could do a beater for utility and keep the F10!

I agree with folks here, even with a short bed, it's been tremendously useful for home improvements. I get the same MPG... which is a function of my right foot @ 8 mpg!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0