2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Photography and the LAW!

11-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Photography and the LAW!

Soo...when you guys go out and shoot, and the Policia comes around the corner, what do you tell them? This can go for cars/portraits/etc..

They've always told me I couldn't be in that area at that particular time..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMDUBS

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
Just be honest! I just tell them that I'm taking photos to better my photography skills. If they tell me that the place is restricted during that time I just leave and go back another time.

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

It's kind of a vague question. Mainly because there are certain places that you will get harassment when photographing. Post 9/11 harassment mainly. Power plants, refineries, certain bridges, etc... will often be more secure and more apt to having law enforcement ask you to leave or refrain from taking pics. But typically if you're in a public place, not drawing a huge crowd, you're within your rights to be there and photograph what you want.

If you're shooting cars and possibly obstructing traffic, of course they can ask you to leave. But again in a public area, shooting a portrait you should be fine unless shooting a hot naked chic. Then you would likely need a permit, if it were even possible. (to do legally of course) A permit may be necessary if you're going to draw a crowd because security or crowd control could be necessary.

Also, certain cities have other laws they can fall back on to get you to leave as well. Such as loitering, curfew, etc.... You do have a right to take pictures of what ever you want as long as you're in a public place. But you do have to take into account the rules and laws that govern that public place.
      11-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep

Well stated MPOWER. Yea I have to agree; Post 9/11..it gets hard sometime when you're trying to snap some pics of a state/city/whatever monument. Guess we all have to take the risk for a cool photo huh

derekL - LOL all the places I've been to that asks me to leave..I try to come back at another time, but that doesn't work cause they ask me to leave again..Damn security cameras!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

I took this picture of secret service.
As you can see, he doesn't look every enthused. About 30 seconds later a Sheriff whips around the corner and starts asking me what im doing... on my own driveway. Asked for my name and birthday. Kept asking what I was doing over and over. He demanded he see my drivers license but I denied. I just gave him my name and told him I lived here. He said he was simply "doing security". I took a few hundred photos of police hiding in the bushes and on other houses balcony's. I thought it was funny. I guess they thought I was paparazzi with my big lens or something.

He went to his laptop, looked me up and drove off. I mean whats he going to do, come into a gated community and steal my memory card and tell me I can't take photos from my own drive way? 70-200L FTMFW.
      11-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

I have a document that lists your rights in the U.S. when it comes to taking photos that I got in my photography class.

I'll see if I can scan it and post it here tomorrow or so.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep

Lmao that is awesome! Yea, right..70-200 ftw!! You live near a former president or something?

Yea scan that list.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

About a year ago I took my dslr to the mall and I had my 55-200 lens on with the lens hood on so obviously the camera looked huge. I was in the food court and I decided to take a picture of a pretzel at the pretzel place and the employee started yelling at me and threatened to call security. I just told her to go ahead and call security. What are they gonna do, tell me not to take a picture of a stupid pretzel.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsu07 View Post
Lmao that is awesome! Yea, right..70-200 ftw!! You live near a former president or something?

Yea scan that list.
It was a Barbara Boxer fundraiser with Joe Biden as a guest speaker. I've got some photos of a large ass caravan. All flown in from Wisconsin.... awh, fiscally conservative!
      11-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmthree View Post
About a year ago I took my dslr to the mall and I had my 55-200 lens on with the lens hood on so obviously the camera looked huge. I was in the food court and I decided to take a picture of a pretzel at the pretzel place and the employee started yelling at me and threatened to call security. I just told her to go ahead and call security. What are they gonna do, tell me not to take a picture of a stupid pretzel.

Many malls have signs posted saying "no photography." Not sure why, but since it is their property, they could tell you to not take a picture of a stupid pretzel.....

As I said, I don't really know why. The mall isn't exactly a "destination" for photographers.....
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep

Ah, I see...Nice! Must've been some nice shots you got.

pretzel! I guess if it was a franchised place then they have copyrights, and don't want you taking pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

You just need to have boobs...works for me.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
bpsu07
Major
United_States
Rep

LOL Nice! and very true to an extent!

Most woman cops...well..most of the time..this:

Harder for men don't you say?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Many malls have signs posted saying "no photography." Not sure why, but since it is their property, they could tell you to not take a picture of a stupid pretzel.....

As I said, I don't really know why. The mall isn't exactly a "destination" for photographers.....
Well, I have never seen a sign at that mall saying no photography allowed. Plus, this mall gets TONS of tourists everyday taking pictures so i highly doubt that. I think the lady was just mad that she works at a pretzel store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsu07 View Post
Ah, I see...Nice! Must've been some nice shots you got.

pretzel! I guess if it was a franchised place then they have copyrights, and don't want you taking pictures
Possible, but I could stand far away and still take the pics without them knowing.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
great thread
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Are they kidding as? Cops are so naive. If I were a real spy I would have a camera implanted in my eye or disguised as a shirt/coat button whatever. But here I am an honest, law abiding citizen, taking pictures out of pure curiosity and being subjected to questioning.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]

i get pulled over, kicked out and lectured, but never a fine or a ticket. been going on for 3 years or so now.
      11-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

^
I thought the cop just wanted to hang out with you guys...at least that's what someone said in the thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

legally, you can shoot virtually anything if you're standing on public property - except where a reasonable amount of privacy is expected, like a bathroom (meaning you can't stand on a public sidewalk and shoot the open window of a residence bathroom, or the restroom of a public park). the other exception is some government/military places.

if you're on private property, they can ask you to stop shooting - if you continue to do so, then they can call the police. but no one (badge or not) has any right to make you delete your photos or take your camera/memory card - this needs a court order every time.

Malls are private property, but private or not, a court order is needed to delete/take your photos/memory.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Quote:
^
I thought the cop just wanted to hang out with you guys...at least that's what someone said in the thread.
he did not sound pleased at all :\
      11-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
legally, you can shoot virtually anything if you're standing on public property - except where a reasonable amount of privacy is expected, like a bathroom (meaning you can't stand on a public sidewalk and shoot the open window of a residence bathroom, or the restroom of a public park). the other exception is some government/military places.

if you're on private property, they can ask you to stop shooting - if you continue to do so, then they can call the police. but no one (badge or not) has any right to make you delete your photos or take your camera/memory card - this needs a court order every time.

Malls are private property, but private or not, a court order is needed to delete/take your photos/memory.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
What about in an airport? This doesn't really apply since it's overseas but I took pics in Heathrow Airport in the UK and 5 officers/employees ran to me and started yelling at me to delete the 2 pics i took. I didn't notice the sign saying no pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
he did not sound pleased at all :\
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #22
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
What about in an airport? This doesn't really apply since it's overseas but I took pics in Heathrow Airport in the UK and 5 officers/employees ran to me and started yelling at me to delete the 2 pics i took. I didn't notice the sign saying no pics.
I guess it's possible they can confiscate your camera equipment for the sake of "national security"?