2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK MSport suspension deletion

02-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

MSport suspension deletion

Does any one know if MSport suspension parts are of better quality than SE setup parts

The reason I ask is I don't want MS setup if I can help it but if this means I will be opting for poorer quality parts and fittings then I won't have it deleted from my planned 520d xdrive MS spec
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

How would you define "poorer quality"? What failure are you thinking may occur with one, rather than the other?

The M Sport springs, dampers and ARBs just have different settings/thicknesses etc. Neither are prone to failure.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
How would you define "poorer quality"? What failure are you thinking may occur with one, rather than the other?

The M Sport springs, dampers and ARBs just have different settings/thicknesses etc. Neither are prone to failure.
I wanted to find out whether the MSport suspension parts and assembly have superior tolerances not withstanding how the setup changes the driving experience

Considering the roads I drive on regularly the stiffer the setup the slower my progress due to loss of tyre contact and so I am keen to avoid the sportier setups / larger wheels . However not at the cost of parts s which have lower load bearing tolerances .

Hope this makes sense as I am no engineer !
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

The springs are more firm - not any better, but with less 'give'.

Compare it to 2 pairs of shoes. One set with 'give' built into the sole, one a lot more rigid.

If MSport suspension doesn't suit your usage, then don't have it. If it does, then have it. Neither is better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi IM 1

I have m sport deletion on my f10.

I do not have inside knowledge in terms of se suspension being of a lesser quality or m Sport being a superior quality but as others here have said it would safe to say they are of the same quality however they are suited to different functions.

In terms of load the se suspension on a m Sport car is more than capable as it just the body styling weight it is carrying if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise the rest of the car is the same whether in se or m Sport guise is a body trim difference.

In terms of reliability I would say both are hence why they are offered as an option when ordering the car.

Thanks
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:26 AM   #6
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Would have thought though if parts thicknesses differ then tolerances also would differ ?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #7
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi IM 1

I do not have inside knowledge in terms of se suspension being of a lesser quality or m Sport being a superior quality but as others here have said it would safe to say they are of the same quality however they are suited to different functions.

In terms of load the se suspension on a m Sport car is more than capable as it just the body styling weight it is carrying if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise the rest of the car is the same whether in se or m Sport guise is a body trim difference.

In terms of reliability I would say both are hence why they are offered as an option when ordering the car.

Thanks
Thanks SP , I really want the MSport look in the G30 but not the ride that goes with it . If I could spec 17 inch wheels then I would but think these don't fit round the brakes ?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 04:48 AM   #8
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im1 View Post
Would have thought though if parts thicknesses differ then tolerances also would differ ?
There is no given relationship between the two.

From reading your later posts, it looks like you are concerned about the ride. There is only one solution for you - adaptive drive. Better ride than SE, better* cornering than M Sport.

* IMO, having driven back to back.

There will now be people who will come on saying "the ride is fine in an M Sport", and so on - but I did extensive testing and found AD to be a brilliant solution. Also helps with the oversteer/understeer balance.

One snag about an M Sport car with or without adaptive drive, is that you get staggered wheel sizes. The rears, even in 18" form, are massively wide and heavy, and this is compounded by the weight of the RFTs. Your unsprung weight is out of control.

My non-RFT winters are 17" and go over the brakes, just, (2014 F10 535d M Sport) and the ride and handling are perfect. On my summers, the staggered 18" wheels really let the side down. Need to change them soon.

My summary:

If you care about ride and handling, go for AD with small non staggered wheels on non-RFTs.

If you care about "looks", then M Sport suspension (lower) with huge wheels and who cares what tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks SP , I really want the MSport look in the G30 but not the ride that goes with it . If I could spec 17 inch wheels then I would but think these don't fit round the brakes ?
17" wheels fits the 520d.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Does any one know if MSport suspension parts are of better quality than SE setup parts

The reason I ask is I don't want MS setup if I can help it but if this means I will be opting for poorer quality parts and fittings then I won't have it deleted from my planned 520d xdrive MS spec
With M Sport suspension you have 5 settings, Eco/Comfort+/Comfort/Sport and Sport+, so many options.
Can not understand why you would not want it.
      02-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi IM 1

Thanks
No problem im

To be honest if it helps you picture my setting I have a f10 m Sport with the optional 19" 351M wheels with the m Sport suspension deletion.

The car does obviously not have the stiff Sport orientated ride or firmness that a sporty driver would demand but for my needs the wafting along executive drive is what I was after with the smoothness. I regret the setup when I'm cornering fast or want to to drive it fast on large roundabouts but for straight line speed and smoothness it's perfect for me. Also looks are important for me hence wanted the m Sport guise and with the 19" wheels.

From your post you want the m Sport look without the stiff ride so definitely go for the m Sport deletion but please don't compromise in my mind and view the m Sport look with 17" wheels. The car is slightly larger and longer looking than the f10 and if sports look is important to you hence buying the m Sport 17" wheels will look too small and out of place. Stick with 18 or 19" and still you wheel enjoy the limo ride of the car without the harshness you want to avoid. If you feel 17" is the way forward than if they release a Sport line like they did with the one series these size wheels would suit that style of body kit with is in between se and m Sport body trims.
I think you are looking for the similar setup of what I was looking for in my car when I got it so hence the suggestions I made would be ideal for you. Only thing is with m Sport Suspension deletion the car sits slightly higher than a m Sport suspension hence the wheel arch gap is slightly high. However very similar size gap to m Sport with x drive as that used se suspension also. E.g. 335d x drive

Also I think if they use se suspension in x drives in m Sport 3 series that also confirms the quality and longevity and reliability of the suspension components.

Sorry for the long message

Hope it helps

Let me know what you did go for in the end and any pics.

Thanks
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
With M Sport suspension you have 5 settings, Eco/Comfort+/Comfort/Sport and Sport+, so many options.
That's not correct. Because you have VDC on your car, you get those driving options and you have SE suspension, not M Sport. Same on the G30.

Options are:
  • M Sport suspension (fixed dampers), firm, good cornering, lowered.
  • SE suspension (fixed dampers), soft, poor cornering.
  • SE with variable dampers (now you get all those driving modes), soft to firm but still not so good at corners due to the soft springs.
  • SE with variable dampers and hydraulic anti-roll (also with those driving modes), soft on the straight, very firm in a corner.

The reasons to not want M Sport suspension are: too firm, no VDC, no variable ARB.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #13
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep

You can even see what happens on the configurator (this is G30 but F10 was the same) when you click VDC on an M Sport car:

Name:  vdc-msport.gif
Views: 3840
Size:  94.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
As Pottsy illustrates, M-sport suspension is limited.

BTW, 704 M-sport passive suspension has only one setting, modes make no difference.

VDC and AD (F10/11) has three base damper suspension settings, Comfort+, Comfort, Sport. AD has two base settings, one for Comfort+ and Comfort, the other for Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Variations could come if BMW use different manufacturers for the parts. But that is debatable, may have slightly different and preferred designs, but quality should be identical. BMW will have a quality requirement, whoever supplies the actual parts. The suspension rating, no way directly equates with better tolerances.

Some would argue (with logical reasoning) that a softer suspension puts less stress on the parts, than a firmer setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #16
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
That's not correct. Because you have VDC on your car, you get those driving options and you have SE suspension, not M Sport. Same on the G30.

Options are:
  • M Sport suspension (fixed dampers), firm, good cornering, lowered.
  • SE suspension (fixed dampers), soft, poor cornering.
  • SE with variable dampers (now you get all those driving modes), soft to firm but still not so good at corners due to the soft springs.
  • SE with variable dampers and hydraulic anti-roll (also with those driving modes), soft on the straight, very firm in a corner.

The reasons to not want M Sport suspension are: too firm, no VDC, no variable ARB.
Totally agree. VDC and adjustable roll bars are combined in the AD (Adaptive Drive) option and it's the one I use most of all. It may not be cheap but it's extremely effective - best of all worlds to suit your desired driving style and prevailing road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Remember that the AD only is available for the 530d (not the 530i) and up.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for all the replies

The model I am going for is the 520d xdrive msport . I don't think AD is even an option else I'd forgo every other toy to fit this into budget .

Please correct me if I am wrong but I am coming to the following conclusions taking into account the excellent replies I have received so far

1. With my chosen model I may get SE suspension anyway as it is an xdrive ? Why then do they have the option for delete MSport suspension at no cost . I am going to tick it anyway

2. As regards runflats I believe the ride will improve if ditched . However I do a lot of motorway miles and like the idea of possibly extra protection against blowout . Not too bothered about the mobility aspect . I think therefore these will be kept

3. On the scared surfaces I also need to use daily I feel a softer suspension setup is less stressing on couplings

4. I don't think 17 s will fit on the G30 with MSport brakes so I'll stick with 18 s . The extra weight here I'll have to accept as I want the better MSport brakes ( this I am assuming to be the case ) .
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #19
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep

1. It appears that the x-Drive M Sport does come with M Sport suspension, so you will have to press the "delete" button to go to SE. Best to check with a dealer though.

2. I'm going to talk your language for this one! The runflats are heavier and so will put an extra load on your suspension bushings etc. The ride will be worse and the grip will be worse, especially on uneven roads. It's 22 years and 550,000 miles since I last got a puncture - so I have an AA card as my repair kit.

3. I wouldn't worry about the durability of the suspension. There is no track record of wear nor failures. Big wheels with RFTs are known to buckle or crack on bad roads though.

4. Don't know - but I'd be amazed if they didn't fit. They certainly fit on an F10 535d M Sport, and I would be surprised if they have changed this for the G30. The way to check, though, is to look on the tyre pressure plate on an M Sport G30 and see if they list 17" as a size (normally for winter tyres). The big brakes are just showy - they are designed for multiple heavy stops from Autobahn (140+) speeds. The smaller brakes will be just as powerful in normal use - they just may fade earlier on the race track or when stopping 3 times in a row, hard, from 150 mph. The big brakes also increase your unsprung weight, and reduce grip etc etc.

17" wheels on a 535d M Sport (17" on the front, 18" on the rear - during wheels swap):

Name:  17inch.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  244.3 KB

Finally - be sure that you want x-Drive before you order. It will add weight and complexity, it will use noticeably more fuel, it will not be any use in winter on summer tyres (summer tyres + 4wd is hopeless whereas 2wd with winter tyres is great) and a 520d doesn't have enough power for traction to be an issue. If, however, you plan to encounter a fair bit of snow and you are going to put winter tyres on, then it will be unstoppable.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #20
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Variations could come if BMW use different manufacturers for the parts. But that is debatable, may have slightly different and preferred designs, but quality should be identical. BMW will have a quality requirement, whoever supplies the actual parts. The suspension rating, no way directly equates with better tolerances.

Some would argue (with logical reasoning) that a softer suspension puts less stress on the parts, than a firmer setup.
Yes this is exactly what I think might be the case . Thanks for clarification
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

There seemed to be some initial confusion here, perhaps because this is the F10 section, but the OP is asking about spec on the G30 ?

I'm as fussy about ride as anyone, and I have the multiple spare sets of wheels in the garage to prove it ! I'm running a 535d F10 with AD, on non-RF 18s at the moment. But based on my 2 test drives so far, I think I would be happy with passive MSport suspension on the G30, even with wheels up to say 19". I would probably prefer it to SE suspension with or without VDC, which are your other options on a 520xd.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #22
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Random other thoughts:
- you are right about xdrive and msport suspension - on the G30, unlike the F10, you can have both, and so you would have to actively select not to have msport suspension if you pick the msport model;
- if you're thinking of getting xdrive for better traction in winter, I would be tempted to save lots of money by ordering the RWD msport model with the standard 18s and then, if you find traction is an issue or if you just want to, swapping the tyres for a set of non-RF Michelin Cross Climates. You'll get better control under acceleration AND braking, and they are very comfortable and quiet tyres. I imagine the ride on a G30 on Msport suspension and non-RF18s like those Michelins will be buttery smooth while still being pretty flat through the corners. I will be putting on a set on my 18s if I don't get a whole new car before my tyres wear out...
Appreciate 0