2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Esso Premium Diesel and F10 2011

01-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Esso Premium Diesel and F10 2011

I had never experienced such a positive change in car dynamic on account of a brand of fuel. In the past I tried Shell super diesel with no observable effect on my car performance, acceleration or smoothness of its motion.

However since I started using Esso Premium diesel in the past two months or so, the acceleration is better, the gear changes are almost imperceptible. The car now moves as if is in a Sport mode all the time . This is a first year F10 that does not have driving modes option. The car is so smooth now that I am almost not sure whether I should go ahead with my G10 order as the main reason that made me order G30 was on account of relatively poor driving dynamic of my F10 not long ago. I am talking of a car that has done 100,000 miles.

I actually tried to rule out a placebo effect by trying ordinary Esso diesel, I went back to Shell Super diesel as well as BP Premium diesel. The only fuel that came close was BP Premium diesel

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Last edited by babaikram; 01-18-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
I had never experienced such a positive change in car dynamic on account of a brand of fuel. In the past I tried Shell super diesel with no observable effect on my car performance, acceleration or smoothness of its motion.

However since I started using Esso Premium diesel in the past two months or so, the acceleration is better, the gear changes are almost imperceptible. The car now moves as if is in a Sport mode all the time . This is a first year F10 that does not have driving modes option. The car is so smooth now that I am almost not sure whether I should go ahead with my G10 order as the main reason that made me order G30 was on account of relatively poor driving dynamic of my F10 not long ago. I am talking of a car that has done 100,000 miles.

I actually tried to rule out a placebo effect by trying ordinary Esso diesel, I went back to Shell Super diesel as well as BP Premium diesel. The only fuel that came close was BP Premium diesel

Has anyone noticed anything similar?
Not me, all seem the same, I stick with sainsbury now, tried them all though.
Winter diesel is not as good as summer diesel for smoothness and MPG.
The anti-crystallizing content does not help.
      01-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #3
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Same here, nothing noticeable on premium diesel but haven't tried esso yet. Will try it at next fill
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I've used BP Ultimate diesel since new exclusively but my reasons are for it's supposed cleaning properties not any performance ones.
To be honest , even if there were potential performance benefits, I doubt I would be able to pick up on that in real world driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I've used BP Ultimate diesel since new exclusively but my reasons are for it's supposed cleaning properties not any performance ones.
To be honest , even if there were potential performance benefits, I doubt I would be able to pick up on that in real world driving.
I have read somewhere that its good practice to put in the occasional tank of premium diesel for this very reason. I haven't bothered to date but would be interested to hear of any benefits, improved performance or otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

My son's X3 runs on BP Ultimate long term, one of the smoothest and refined BMW diesel engines I've come across. He had to put Tesco fuel in awhile back, turned it into a bag of spanners. Back to normal, with BP Ultimate.

He's recently taken on one of his guy's Fiesta work vans. Been fuelled with anything available and running quite poorly with low mpg.

My son has been fuelling it with Ultimate and it took several tanks to get it running smoothly, it's now got more power and much better mpg.

I used to fuel my 330d with Ultimate as the preferred fuel, mainly to reduce deposits and keep the engine in the cleanest condition. Helps keep an engine at optimum performance. Less soot load on the DPF, particularly for short journey use. Better running and MPG benefits are a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My son's X3 runs on BP Ultimate long term, one of the smoothest and refined BMW diesel engines I've come across. He had to put Tesco fuel in awhile back, turned it into a bag of spanners. Back to normal, with BP Ultimate.

He's recently taken on one of his guy's Fiesta work vans. Been fuelled with anything available and running quite poorly with low mpg.

My son has been fuelling it with Ultimate and it took several tanks to get it running smoothly, it's now got more power and much better mpg.

I used to fuel my 330d with Ultimate as the preferred fuel, mainly to reduce deposits and keep the engine in the cleanest condition. Helps keep an engine at optimum performance. Less soot load on the DPF, particularly for short journey use. Better running and MPG benefits are a bonus.
Over the years I've done all the premium and basic diesel fuels , found it pure blarney made no difference at all.
      01-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Interesting, think I may give it a trial run for a few months and will feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

as regards engine cleaning , BMW do also sell an additive which is supposed to be put on everytank ful I believe.

I am no expert as regards bp ultimate and I am only going by their documentation
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I have never noticed any difference between types of diesel fuel and therefore fill my 530d with... diesel.

Super Diesel seems like awesome snake oil. The manual even tells you that there is no need to use it and it won't have any effect?
      01-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox530 View Post
The manual even tells you that there is no need to use it and it won't have any effect?
I'm not disagreeing with you but the manual can't know. If an oil-company produce an improved fuel your manual (printed years previously) cannot say that the fuel doesn't offer any advantages.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

As I mentioned above I noticed the difference and it is not a placebo effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As I mentioned above I noticed the difference and it is not a placebo effect.
To be fair, people subject to the placebo effect don't realise they are subject to it.

Try getting you car fueled by your other half every week and then try and identify the fuel that week. That would be a better test but still would be regarded as biased by proper research standards.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
To be fair, people subject to the placebo effect don't realise they are subject to it.

Try getting you car fueled by your other half every week and then try and identify the fuel that week. That would be a better test but still would be regarded as biased by proper research standards.
Depends what we are measuring. One of the marked differences in diesel fuel is masked these days with the DPF.

When smoke levels of different fuels were easily seen by a following car, (or in your mirror), you could literally 'see' the difference in combustion.

I know that one of our Golf TDI engines was so different for smoke levels on acceleration, comparing Standard BP with BP Ultimate. I remember following it one day and the smoke was really bad, questioned what fuel they were running. My son tells me it had a tank of standard BP fuel, he'd also noticed the smoke he was leaving behind.

Different smoke levels are a sign of combustion variations. That has science to back it up.

I first got involved with different diesel fuels having different combustion efficiencies, way back in 1990s. Cold starting was another area where diesel showed its differences.

We get back to the additive package and how that balances engine cleaning properties, carbon deposit control, combustion enhancers, etc.

Not so easy to measure in our varied use in cars. Best get data from engines running constant loads like power generators, where costs and engine efficiencies are measured and calculated for the whole life of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

I filled up a few days ago with ASDA, yep asda crap, a full tank, and on my usual commute of 20 miles same cold conditions, same roads and speeds, car showed 43MPG, that's 3 MPG better.
Car is running like a watch.Never used that shite before.
PS) my exhaust outlets are Cristal clean too.
      03-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #16
F36 435d
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Individual Speed Yellow 435d M

I only ever use Bp Ultimate Diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, in the owner's handbook for G30, Shell fuel is recommended on page 287. Quote:

BMW recommends
Shell Quality fuels
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, in the owner's handbook for G30, Shell fuel is recommended on page 287. Quote:

BMW recommends
Shell Quality fuels
They recommend whatever they I have never bothered with Shell on any "M" car never mind a STD one.
You pays your money and make your choice,I found regular Esso or Salinbury's 97 petrol suited my Petrol BMW's.
      03-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If you believe Honest John, manufacturers are allowed to run the tests (mpg, emissions etc) using any fuel generally available. They all use Shell V-power so their engines are optimised for that. How much difference it actually makes and whether you can tell is another question.

Every car I have owned for the last 25 years I have tested over a few months to see if I can get better mpg from premium fuels and I can't. However, apparently, better economy comes in small turbo-charged engines and none of mine were.

As it is,. I use premium fuels because they may be better and it's only a few quid.

Homeopathy, though, that is bollocks.
Appreciate 1
SEF13.50
      03-06-2017, 03:29 AM   #20
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Homeopathy, though, that is bollocks.
It sounds like you'd benefit from a course of Moxibustion and Aromatherapy
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #21
dmcsweeney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE ED

I filled my X-type with a certain brand last year and my only managed 480 miles on a fill. Filled up in Topaz (an Irish brand only as far as I'm aware) on the next fill and saw a 20% increase in economy for 5c a litre more. I'll never make that mistake again! I've only filled my 520d once so far but I seem to be getting fantastic figures from Topaz. I've also been by mechanics that it's the best fuel in terms of protecting the fuel system.
Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #22
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi chaps

I'm glad this thread has begun because for a long period of time since my z4 in 2007 I have being asking myself the same question regarding premium grade fuels. Now I'm my f10 diesel I have the same question running.

I have always used non supermarket fuels but cannot answer to myself this very question of the premium grade of fuels.

I personally do fill up with v power diesel or bp ultimate diesel but for a while now I have been using regular shell or no diesel with the premium grades in between fills to help clear the system with the extra additives they use. I personally have felt iv got more mileage out of the nitro or ultimate but primarily use it for the cleaning and protection properties.

I have felt the car slightly more responsive on v power but cannot confirm if this is a placebo effect.

My friend who had a Subaru wrx sti was telling
me on his car the difference in performance was very apparent when using v power and the car is very sluggish upon using regular 95. He said the difference in performance in my 520d in his eyes would be unnoticed. I stated that I'm happy paying extra for the premium grade for my car for the protection properties alone.

If anyone here does find some solid information to shed light on this subject please let us know.

Ps iv have yet to try esso synergy.

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0