2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Looking at a 2013 535i...

06-25-2017, 05:00 AM   #1
S.Hunter
Rep
Drives: 4th-Gen F-Body

Looking at a 2013 535i...

So, I'm looking for an F10, 535i with or without X-Drive.
Either White or Blue [REAL Blue], Professional Navigation (Bigger Screen), Heated Seats, and the Adjustable Suspension (I don't remember what it's called).
And Premium Audio system.

There is a nice Blue one without heated seats or adjustable suspension. It's cool, but why have an F10 without heated seats in IN?!?
I did find this one that has all the options I want, and X-Drive.
Though I really don't know if it has the Premium Audio.

Here is the Link:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=535IXD

Here is the CARFAX:
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=ATD_U

What do you guys think??
I'm only skeptical, because it's been for sale for so long, and there are some weird things in the CARFAX.
It only shows 2 Oil Changes on the CARFAX, one at 17k miles and one at 34k miles. I would Hope it was changed more often than that and had regular oil changes between 34k & 51k!
But then the 2nd Owner bought the car last September, and didn't even own it for 2 Months before it was for sale again, at another Dealer where it is currently for sale at.

This 535i X-Drive has just 51k miles. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time looking at a lemon.
What do you guys think?!?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

The website bmwvin dot com is very helpful in seeing how a car is actually equipped versus the dealer's attempt to describe them. Cross-reference it to a 2013 order guide (available somewhere on this site) and you'll know any BMW's DNA.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I'd pass on that. The first red flag is when I opened the CarFax and it says "Accident reported".

It also depends on your budget?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #4
S.Hunter
Rep

Well - The 'Accident Reported' was during the first 6 Months when the car was New.
It would have been professionally repaired at that point. Many cars have been in 'Accidents'. My Dad purchased both his vehicles New, and had 'Accidents' on Both.
(His Car was a light hit and run, just damaged the hood. And he backed into someone with this other vehicle and it didn't get but a tiny scratch)
My Brother has an E46 325i, and his was in an accident which was kind of bad, ran over a median.
But the car was straight and drives good once everything was replaced.

Most Cars that are in Accidents aren't badly damaged. And you can tell if a Car was badly damaged when you look at it & test drive it. And Accidents are more of a concern if they happened after the 1st Owner or right before the 1st owner gets rid of the car. In this case, the car was still New, and was still under a Lease for an additional 2+ years with the same owner and same State.
The CARFAX showed that the Accident was Reported 6-19-13, and that the Car must have been Repaired.
It was returned at the end of it's lease in May of Last Year.

My Concern was about the Service. But I looked at CARFAX's on other F10's, and many of them don't even show Oil Changes on the CARFAX at all. So, I guess it's not as big a deal. My Car has 0 Service on the CARFAX, and I bought it when it was 4 years old.
But then, the 2nd Owner didn't even own the car 2 Months. That doesn't make any sense.
Not every place reports things to CARFAX. I've had a lot of work done on my car, and many things like Oil Changed and Brake Replacement I've done myself.
Though how likely is it that someone Leases a new 535i with allot of Options, and changes the oil at 17k mile intervals?? Isn't it supposed to be 12k miles??

Last edited by S.Hunter; 06-26-2017 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

since the mileage showing due to the second owner is only 2K miles, and the "listed for sale" was only a month or so after purchase, I'd suspect the dealer is the second owner. Maybe they used it as a loaner, or a personal car for someone at the dealer. Either way, the dealer should be able to get the service records for you assuming all service was done at a BMW dealer, and assuming the non-BMW dealer that is offering it can get those records.

You may want to look a bit more closely for a CPO directly from a BMW dealer (that's what I did). You'll know what's been inspected (they have a 4 page checklist they should give you) and there is a warranty associated with the CPO. A 2013 is probably too old for CPO, but you may be able to find a 2014/2015 CPO in a similar price range.

When I was looking, "accident reported" was a non-starter, regardless of what it might have been.
      06-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
S.Hunter
Rep

Zinengineer - What do you mean by 'Non-Starter'?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
After 50K miles these cars require some major maintenance. The condition of the interior should be inspected very thoroughly because BMW's don't do so well being out in the sun. In addition, check for any rust underneath the vehicle.

At 50K miles especially if the vehicle has been driven hard will require most likely new bushings, shocks, fluid change (oil, transmission, brake flush etc.). Spark Plugs too? I believe Inspection II is at 50K miles. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Could be an oil leak and most likely a windshield washer fluid leak as well.

Not trying to push you away from buying the car but just remember to check all of the items listed above because paying for the maintenance is a PITA.

Can't give you a solid yes or no with the quality of pictures as well and not being able to put the car on a lift to inspect. But you can do all of those things before purchasing!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #8
johnhva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix

Garage List
14 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
04 BMW 325cic 5MT  [0.00]
16 BMW R1200RT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Hunter View Post
So, I'm looking for an F10, 535i with or without X-Drive.
Either White or Blue [REAL Blue], Professional Navigation (Bigger Screen), Heated Seats, and the Adjustable Suspension (I don't remember what it's called).
And Premium Audio system.

There is a nice Blue one without heated seats or adjustable suspension. It's cool, but why have an F10 without heated seats in IN?!?
I did find this one that has all the options I want, and X-Drive.
Though I really don't know if it has the Premium Audio.

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/DDU67239/EN

It does have heated front and rear seats and heated steering wheel. Also has driver's assist/lane departure and backup cameras but just standard audio.
      06-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Hunter View Post
Zinengineer - What do you mean by 'Non-Starter'?
non-starter = I take a hard "pass" on even considering it....not even start the conversation about purchase