2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK dash cam

02-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #45
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Thanks. The 0803 that Craig has looks really good on Techmoan but it gets a pasting for reliability on Amazon.co.uk. Need to look into this.
I think that the main issue appears to be overheating causing the unit to lock up. I've only been running mine since October so only in a cold environment. In that time I've had one lockup which was reset by letting the battery go flat. Will have to see how it behaves when things warm up.

Fitment wise I think the integration is about as seamless as you can get which for me is a big plus point.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #46
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
The BMW internal camera/ sensors are front facing and flush with the windscreen. There is nothing on the back; so mounting anything under or close to the mirror housing cannot cause any blockage/interference.
Here's the camera / sensor I was referring to. Sorry for photo quality, couldn't get a good snap

and an even poorer focussed interior one

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ticle=autobeam

this seems to be what I'm seeing so I will need to mount my camera without blocking the sensor

Last edited by evan15281; 02-21-2015 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #47
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Id like to see how you have hidden the wiring down the pillar and into the usb port.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #48
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Id like to see how you have hidden the wiring down the pillar and into the usb port.
It really is very easy. First I ordered a right angle USB lead to make the cabling out of the camera look neater. Fitting is simply a case of routing under the mirror casing, then under the front edge of the headlining, down the inside edge of the pillar trim. Then the only bit I removed was the door seal but only slightly to route the cable down to just below dash level. Finally from there into the glovebox. I seen to recall removing the lower dash trim to aid routing but that's a real easy job.

When done you can't see any external traces of wiring. I could take some photos if you wish but as it's hidden you won't see much
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #49
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

[QUOTE=evan15281;17438404]Here's the camera / sensor I was referring to. Sorry for photo quality, couldn't get a good snap

Photo of my F10 with the Headlight auto assistance, I posted this photo in a different tread about the sensors!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #50
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

[QUOTE=martin mustang;17446729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan15281 View Post
Here's the camera / sensor I was referring to. Sorry for photo quality, couldn't get a good snap

Photo of my F10 with the Headlight auto assistance, I posted this photo in a different tread about the sensors!
That picture shows it well, thanks. Just don't want anyone to screw up their expensive options by putting a dashcam in front of a sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #51
Chrissy_bwoy
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520D M sport

I put mine to the left of the mirror but as its a Blackvue the lens is offset so its nigh on centered
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #52
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Hi Guys,

I'm lurking over here at present - thinking of changing my F30 for an F10.

This thread http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=944517 shows the installation I did of a Blackvue 380G into my F30 last year - hard-wired into the power feed in the mirror housing.
It starts up with the ignition and shuts down about 1 min after ignition off.

Not for the faint hearted, or those who don't solder!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:25 AM   #53
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilonen View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm lurking over here at present - thinking of changing my F30 for an F10.

This thread http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=944517 shows the installation I did of a Blackvue 380G into my F30 last year - hard-wired into the power feed in the mirror housing.
It starts up with the ignition and shuts down about 1 min after ignition off.

Not for the faint hearted, or those who don't solder!
Do you get the motion recording option with the way you set yours, i.e. when the car parked and switched off the camera will start recording if motion is detected?
The main reason why I am considering one, I had couple of times Assholes scratching my car at car parked and taking off without leaving any details the last one cost me 400 Euros to fix needed paint work, BMW camera comes with motion sensor, the screen is on it hence on the big side, what I like about the Blackvue it is more discrete and out of view when on the driver seat!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #54
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Do you get the motion recording option with the way you set yours, i.e. when the car parked and switched off the camera will start recording if motion is detected?
Not with this setup, but I believe there is a permanent live feed in the same cluster which would give you the motion sensor function. Only risk is there is no way to control battery drain with such a setup.
Some may argue that a battery in good condition, in a car driven near-daily, will not drain significantly with a dashcam to be a problem, others will argue it's not worth the risk of being stranded with a duff battery.
If the car is being left for long periods (holiday) the camera can always be unplugged to avoid the problem, but that defeats the purpose of the motion sensing!

Blackvue do the Power Magic module which will monitor and prevent battery drain, but this is a separate hard-wired setup best fitted by the pros, and the camera cable will be run down the A pillar as "normal".

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #55
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilonen View Post
Not with this setup, but I believe there is a permanent live feed in the same cluster which would give you the motion sensor function. Only risk is there is no way to control battery drain with such a setup.
Some may argue that a battery in good condition, in a car driven near-daily, will not drain significantly with a dashcam to be a problem, others will argue it's not worth the risk of being stranded with a duff battery.
If the car is being left for long periods (holiday) the camera can always be unplugged to avoid the problem, but that defeats the purpose of the motion sensing!

Blackvue do the Power Magic module which will monitor and prevent battery drain, but this is a separate hard-wired setup best fitted by the pros, and the camera cable will be run down the A pillar as "normal".

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the detailed answer! one ideal scenario is camera with it's own backup battery charges when on the move and used when car switched off!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #56
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I see people spending good amount of money to have all sort of options ticked on their cars.
But when it comes to dashcam, most of photos give you beamer a cheap look!

Sorry, cannot resist it but that is fact.

If you can invest in your car then invest to have a decent camera with decent shape which should suits you FX.

One example is blackvue!
I have a Blackvue DR500GW-HD and I wouldn't buy Blackvue again. After 18 months the internal battery failed (normal on this model) meaning that the time and date is always wrong by a random amount ranging from 1 to 2 years, even though it has a GPS signal. The battery is very difficult to get to and change.

At least with a cheapie you won't feel so annoyed if it fails soon after the warranty expires. I reckon the next batch of 0806 cameras may be worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #57
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
I have a Blackvue DR500GW-HD and I wouldn't buy Blackvue again. After 18 months the internal battery failed (normal on this model) meaning that the time and date is always wrong by a random amount ranging from 1 to 2 years, even though it has a GPS signal. The battery is very difficult to get to and change.

At least with a cheapie you won't feel so annoyed if it fails soon after the warranty expires. I reckon the next batch of 0806 cameras may be worth a look.
Sorry to hear that. I did not know that....

I have Lukas and has it for approx 18 months. I preferred that as night time video was better than Blackvue and its going strong.

My other friend has Blackvue 500GW-HD. So, I must warn him.