2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Main unit died, unit replaced but no sound

08-01-2023, 05:36 PM   #1
PCWhz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535xi M-Sport

Main unit died, unit replaced but no sound

just at the title says, Main unit died, unit replaced but no sound.

my main unit died, it would just endlessly reboot to the BMW logo, but there was still sound so the amp sound be good. I replaced it with a numbers matching unit from ebay. the unit powers up perfectly and everything seems to work fine (iDrive,music selection, etc) but there is no audio at all, no door chimes, no radio, etc.

i found a thread that talked about someone that got a US based unit that is in the EU and they had to code a change to get it to work. this leads me to believe that there is HOPEFULLY something i can code etc to get this to work. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Its been awhile since i coded anything on my car but i need this fixed. i cant afford or justify paying what the dealer quoted me at $3000!

also the link in the forum on how to code isnt working...
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

You will have to code it to match your vehicle’s build. If not, the amplifier in the trunk may not match what is in the donor vehicle so audio may not work. When doing this, you will also need to update the FSC as well. If not, your navigation and some drivers aid will not work.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #3
PCWhz
United_States
Rep

ok Great do you know what that entails. what I need to do exactly?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 03:21 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

You will need at least E-SYS to do this. It doesn’t take long to do this but I recommend having a coder to do this since you don’t have much knowledge on this. You can accidentally brick the car if you don’t know what you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 04:58 PM   #5
PCWhz
United_States
Rep

yeah i am pretty tech savvy so not worried to much about bricking it.

now onto the GREAT news..... I was able to fix it!!!! I used BimmerCode phone app to do it.

It was the AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC selection. it was set to hifi but it needed to be set to top_hifi. see pic below.
Attached Images

Last edited by PCWhz; 08-02-2023 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 12:53 AM   #6
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Bummercode can only change values like what you did. It can’t write VO and load FSC into your HU which you will need to do if you want it to be like how it was originally before you replace the HU. It’s like patch work which will work but not ideal because if you somehow have to flash the unit, it will revert all changes back to how you just installed the HU into your vehicle. If you write VO, no matter how many times you flash the unit, it will work just like your old HU because it knows what your vehicle options are.
Appreciate 0