2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dinan Need Help!

04-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Strada1198
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0 MSport Dinan S3

Garage List
2011 X5 5.0  [0.00]
Dinan Need Help!

I'll start by saying I am an X5 (2011 5.0 M Sport) owner but am posting here as there seems to be more dinan users / experience with dinan here. My issue is the car now goes into limp mode during any kind of hard acceleration.

I bought the car used with dinan stage 3 and exhaust. Love the thing seriously bad ass and enjoying life. Got the car in September and life was good until driving in the mountains over thanksgiving when it first happened. Accelerating hard and then boom, dramatic fuel cut as the car goes into limp mode. The Dealer was initially baffled and the assumption was that the software was causing the issue but the problem was hard to duplicate at first. If the car did go into limp mode, simply shutting it down and re-staring it clears the fault and life is back to normal. As time has gone on, the car will now very easily go into limp mode at the first sign of aggressive acceleration, the fault code when read by the dealer, indicates an over boost situation causing the car to kill power in order to protect itself.

Well, it's now April and the mystery is still not solved. Dinan appears to have taken responsibility and even states that there is a customer in AZ driving a 550i and having the exact same issue. I was believing this to be a dinan thing as well as a few months back we flashed the car back to stock and we were unable to duplicate the problem. Well, last weekend Dinan sent a revised stage 3 package hoping to fix the problem but as soon as I got on it... Back to limp mode. Well back to stock we go while dinan tries to figure this out. I was ok to go to stocks while they sort things out but now the car goes into limp mode in stock trim!

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Anyone here ever experience this same limp mode due to overboost problem?

Sorry for the long post, really hoping to sort this out. Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Boardman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 550

Oh damn that's not good.

Sorry don't have any solutions...but curious...did you get the inter coolers with stage 3?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
captnbeer
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xdrive

do no know if it is the same feeling as yours but, I had stage 4 with inter coolers, and exhaust, when I put the car into a real acceleration mode like put the pedal to the metal at about 60 to 70 mph the car shuts down for about 2 to 3 seconds and then catches itself and continues on as one would expect, thought it was me not paying attention, but never had another car do this and I have owned quite a few, anybody else out their, my car was done January 31 of 2013. by dinan corporate at morgan hill, ca.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Strada1198
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5 5.0  [0.00]
No infer coolers with stage 3, not needed until stage 4 as far as I know.

I have felt the car hesitate a few times but nothing like you describe for 2-3 seconds. Mine is basically shutting it self down into limp mode, feels like I slam on the brakes when it happens because I go from full acceleration to no acceleration while still at half to full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada1198 View Post
I'll start by saying I am an X5 (2011 5.0 M Sport) owner but am posting here as there seems to be more dinan users / experience with dinan here. My issue is the car now goes into limp mode during any kind of hard acceleration.

I bought the car used with dinan stage 3 and exhaust. Love the thing seriously bad ass and enjoying life. Got the car in September and life was good until driving in the mountains over thanksgiving when it first happened. Accelerating hard and then boom, dramatic fuel cut as the car goes into limp mode. The Dealer was initially baffled and the assumption was that the software was causing the issue but the problem was hard to duplicate at first. If the car did go into limp mode, simply shutting it down and re-staring it clears the fault and life is back to normal. As time has gone on, the car will now very easily go into limp mode at the first sign of aggressive acceleration, the fault code when read by the dealer, indicates an over boost situation causing the car to kill power in order to protect itself.

Well, it's now April and the mystery is still not solved. Dinan appears to have taken responsibility and even states that there is a customer in AZ driving a 550i and having the exact same issue. I was believing this to be a dinan thing as well as a few months back we flashed the car back to stock and we were unable to duplicate the problem. Well, last weekend Dinan sent a revised stage 3 package hoping to fix the problem but as soon as I got on it... Back to limp mode. Well back to stock we go while dinan tries to figure this out. I was ok to go to stocks while they sort things out but now the car goes into limp mode in stock trim!

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Anyone here ever experience this same limp mode due to overboost problem?

Sorry for the long post, really hoping to sort this out. Thanks in advance for any help.
If it is going into limp mode in stock mode as well, I would pretty much rule out the Dinan tune as the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Strada1198
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 X5 5.0  [0.00]
Update,

Spoke to dealer again today and was told that the stock flash came from Dinan and that is the reason the car is still not working right. Sounds a little shady to me but I really don't know what to do any more.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
primetime1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i F10

Please keep us posted
Appreciate 0