2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2015/2018 Audi S3 - My Thoughts

10-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #1
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
First of all, thanks to Sales Manager Ark and CA Preston.

I went to my friends at DTLA to try to see if I can get my hands on an Audi RS3. I knew my chances were rather rare because I couldn’t find any online as most cars companies are going through the 2017 to 2018, it is rare to find one at the moment. In this case, I wasn’t lucky enough to get myself into one. I DID see the 2018 Audi RS3, as it was just off a boat, literally completely covered with a car wrap. This Audi dealership wraps their cars completely with a wrap, including a zipper! So while I was able to see the 2018 RS3, I couldn’t drive it, I was totally in the front seat though :P but yes, I couldn’t drive the RS3 because I literally couldn’t. I didn’t bother taking photos this time sadly because all you would see is the car wrap, I took the photo of the badge though.

Anyway, I did get to drive the Audi S3, as it was… kinda close. The sales manager believes the S3 is close to the CLA45 than the RS3 would be. I didn’t want to sound like a snob but I know for certain this isn’t true. I’m still glad I got into the Audi S3, as I haven’t driven an Audi at all. However, I’ll post my thoughts on the S3. Again, personal opinion~

• One of the first things I noticed quickly with the Audi S3 is that, the car is muted interior wise. I couldn’t get a good feel of what the engine sounded like or the feel of the engine. Exhaust was the same, I had extremely hard time hearing the exhaust too. Believe I heard some minor burbles, when I drove under Sport but otherwise the S3 was very muted.

• Gas and Brake pedal has a good feel to it. The gas pedal reminds me of my old 2004 Jetta where you have to sort of heavy foot it a little, even in Sport, to push the car. Brake wise it was slightly different which threw me off. The Audi S3 brake has an immediate bite, so much so I had to apologize a few times to my friend and the CA because the brake bite came on so fast I didn’t expect it.

• I couldn’t get a good feel for the engine in the Audi S3. I couldn’t hear it well enough, it was too quiet and muted for me to have that feel of the car. Unlike the CLA45 AMG, I had a good idea of the car very quickly, it was different with the Audi S3. It felt too normal of a car with hints of it being sporty but I just couldn’t feel it. It could be my habit of driving cars similar in feel to the M3/M4 that is why I like the CLA45 AMG feel but not the Audi S3.

• Similarly, I couldn’t get a good feel for the exhaust either. I’m pretty sure the S3 is insulated well enough so that could be one of the reason why I couldn’t hear it. In Sport, I was able to hear some burbles but it was very muted in the cabin. Of course, this could be different on the outside but I drove with the windows down for a few minutes and even then I couldn’t hear it very well.

• The Audi 7-speed DCT is pretty good. The jerkiness and hesitation aren’t as dramatic as what I experienced with the Benz DCT in the CLA45 AMG. In Sport of course the DCT’s behaviors comes out but in general this isn’t generally there in the Audi S3. I figured because this isn’t the Audi RS3, Audi didn’t design it to be as dramatic with a personality, it just needs to be fast enough. The shifting was also pretty quiet. What I mean by that is, I had to sort of pay attention to know the car shifted. Unlike the M-DCT, you KNOW when the car shifts cuz BMW designed it that way. I didn’t get that from this car. This Audi DCT also has the automatic behavior, but the automatic slow crawl forward from a dead stop isn’t right away.

• The S3 still pulls though, once it gets going you do feel the car going fast. Despite that I feel the S3 being muted in general, once the car goes above a certain speed, you do very much feel the car going that speed. So that’s good.

• The suspension on the S3 is pretty stable on the street. That is about it. It was slightly stiffer because I was able to feel it during turns and the few times I was able to do a pull. It definitely wasn’t stiffer than the CLA45 AMG I drove. The suspension travel is more in between comfort and full sport. Audi probably did a compromise between wanting it to be sporty but not soo rough to irritate normal drivers. Didn’t feel bumps in the road being a bit exaggerated due to the suspension or feeling every little thing, the road has like the F80/F82. I’m unsure how different the car would be if it had the Audi Magnetic Suspension.

• Interior wise, there are parts I like and parts I don’t like. The rear seat is most definitely better than the CLA45 AMG by a pretty large margin. I didn’t feel cramped in the rear like I did with the CLA45 AMG. My friend who is once again with me, also told me this is by far WAY better than the CLA45 AMG, rear seat wise. The A3 – RS3 I think it’s a bit deceptive when it comes to the interior because it looks small interior wise but it wasn’t that bad either. I’m not a fan of the front dash being soft touch plastic. I complained about this out loud numerous times. To me it doesn’t belong in a lot of European cars. You can sort of argue about this for the Audi S3? But that is just me.

• Cup holder is in an awkward place.

• BANG & OLUFSEN!!! Honestly, having this in the Audi S3 Prestige almost makes the car in my eyes lol. I prefer B&O over HK.

• Infotainment wise w/o Virtual Cockpit, it is definitely better than the one in the Benz but isn’t better than the iDrive in BMW. Honestly, I’m not all that surprised anymore lol. I am so utterly spoiled by BMW’s iDrive I just don’t even expect others to come close to it. There are hints of the Audi Infotainment being great IF it is in the Virtual Cockpit form. If it is just as is w/o the Audi Virtual Cockpit than it isn’t as good. The Virtual Cockpit makes a huge difference when you see and use it. Too big of a difference actually lol. I'm well informed with computers that I know how computers work in general. The Audi infotainment w/o Virtual Cockpit has a noticeable lag. Now it could be that I am just nitpicking this but I noticed the lag and it bothered me. Audi Virtual Cockpit didn't have this lag so.

• Exterior looks is good. I thought I wouldn’t like it because it reminds me too much of a general Lexus look and I really don’t like Lexus cars but surprisingly, at least the Audi S3 and RS3, they do look good. The S3/RS3 needs the black accents to make it look better though. Some European cars look good with chrome accents, this is definitely not the case with Audi cars, they look funky without black accents. Which brings me to…

• My huge pet peeve with Audi is the way the package things. They are far worse than BMW. With BMW, you can put in some options as stand alone, not all of them but at least some. This is not the case with Audi. Everything is packaged. If you want one thing? Welp too bad you get everything else too. That has been the one thing I constantly criticize with BMW. So, with an Audi RS3 being 54k MSRP, you can easily balloon that car into 70k easy. Which is just… well stupid. Not only that, their packages are expensive. Usually above 2k per. Audi S3 packages isn’t as bad, it’s very bare actually but my annoyance with Audi and packaging still stands.

• One thing I do like with Audi is, as far as I know, almost all of their cars are now with Full LED lights front and rear. Which means, no Xenon, no Halogen. That is a major plus for me. I absolutely despise Halogen lights *cough* Benz *cough* Xenon is at the very least but all full LED lights across most of Audi’s lineup is great. I’m unsure of how good they are at night but hey, LED lights!

• Audi S3 is about 3,400 pounds and it did drive like it. I didn’t feel the weight at all which is a good thing. You can toss the car around but I think because of the heavier gas pedal, at least my initial impression was I have to heavy foot it a little, which is a tad weird. It DID however feel front heavy. I definitely felt the S3 lean in to the front more often than not during my test drive. The weight distribution is probably a problem. If even in the S3, I can feel the car lean forward a little, I worry about how the Audi RS3 would feel if I drive it like a maniac. I didn't feel the common Audi oversteer, but I do not track cars so I cannot tell you how bad this is. On the streets, this doesn't matter.

• Audi flat bottom steering wheel reminded me a lot of the Benz AMG steering wheel. I liked it. The Benz one in the CLA45 AMG I tested a few weeks ago filled my hand a bit more. The Audi S3 steering wheel didn’t completely fill my hand but it wasn’t a huge deal. So long as it isn’t small and tiny I’m okay with that.

All in all. The Audi S3 came pretty close to what I had expected the car to be. The one thing I wish The Audi S3 has is the umph. Either being able to hear the engine way more clearly, or the exhaust tone. I couldn’t hear either well enough to say I would like the engine sound and exhaust. However, that I suppose isn’t necessarily a bad thing either considering this car would be my daily and not having something constantly reminding you what you drive is sort of nice.

However, my problem with the S3 is still the fact it lacks the umph that I want my daily to at least have. The CLA45 AMG might have too much of this but the S3 lacks it by quite a bit. Of course, I can do something like Resonator Deletes etc but I don’t want to mod my daily. I still feel the RS3 would be something more on my alley of what I want my car to be for my DD. It is probably a bit overkill, in fact I know it is overkill but my “I Love Cars” part of me doesn’t really like to listen to reason.

It is indeed too early for me to really decide on my next DD. When I finally do part with my 3 series and my M4 (which should be within 1-2 months I assume at this point), then I will start seriously considering my options. I did slim this all down to a few cars now but until I go down to 2 cars in my head of what I want then… the potential search continues! I’ll post the sneak picture of the RS3 I saw fresh off the boat. I will also the link to the Audi S3 I test drove. The 2018 Audi S3 I saw, that the Audi dealership wants to put me in is a Audi S3 Prestige, fully optioned in Navarra Blue/Magma Red Leather, roughly 53k. Option wise and looks? It would look exactly like the other car posted here on the general area of what the OP eventually bought, down to the options and trim.

P.S. I forgot to mention the sales manager wanted me in a 2016 Audi S5 haha. It was his lease and he wanted me to test it/buy it :P What a kind dude~

http://www.audidtla.com/certified/Au...dcc706668.htm#
Attached Images

Last edited by Arcades; 10-21-2017 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      10-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Great detailed review of the S3.

We have a 2017 S3 in the garage currently. Ara Crystal Blue, Black Optics, Technology Package, Virtual Cockpit, etc. in Premium Plus trim.

A few comments/observations related to your post:

1. Pre-2018's had 6 speed DSG's. They went to 7 speed in 2018. This is a good change, at 80mph you are spinning at just over 3k rpms in the 6 speed, and it drones a bit. Overall I think the DSG is better than BMW's DCT. Less lurchy at low speeds, smoother engagement, etc.

2. The Virtual Cockpit is very cool. It makes the interior. Audi really got this right.

3. The Resonator Delete is available as a factory option. Our car has it. It greatly improves the sound, a must have in my opinion. Further, the sound is not artificial as it is in the M3/M4. I like the sound of the car. Authentic and not overdone.

4. As you indicated the B&O sound system is a VERY good.

5. Did the car you drove have adjustable dampers? Ours does, and there is a substantial difference between Comfort and Dynamic modes. Dynamic really flattens the car out.

6. The car drives smaller than it is. It is very flickable compared to the M3/M4. Steering is light. In the 2017's and 2018's, they have reworked the Haldex logic for more rear power bias. I find our car has very little understeer. Great handling for the street.

7. I think the car has good power for the street, and plenty of low cost tunes are available to take it north of 400hp.

8. The car is more sensitive to the heat than the M3/M4. We had a few 110 degree days a month or so ago and the S3 felt a little heat soaked around town. Never had that in the M4. Makes sense given the more track oriented focus of the M4.

9. Dealers in SoCal are ready to negotiate on these cars. I was able to get 13% off MSRP with some arm twisting, I might have been able to do a bit better.

10. Gripes - the car is a four door obviously, and the doors are small. This means the B pillar is right next to your head if you are taller than about 5'9", and there is little armrest to use if the seat is back to accommodate a taller person. I really wish they made this car in a coupe version. Leftmost display on the Virtual Cockpit always defaults to the MPG screen, and there is no way to override this. Also, I've had some handoff issues with Apple CarPlay, where the system gets confused whether the MMI or the iPhone has control. A firmware update would likely address this, but I've been too lazy to look into it.

Other than that, the car has been tight, rattle free, and no issues thus far.

A great car overall!

Last edited by blschaefer1; 10-21-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
Arcades8162.00
      10-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Audi sales people seem to have this delusional belief that RS models trump their AMG/M counterparts.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      10-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Audi sales people seem to have this delusional belief that RS models trump their AMG/M counterparts.
RS, AMG, and M each have their own personalities and one does not trump the other.

I do think Audi has the best interiors, and the RS models are indeed more rare than AMG or M.

I also respect the fact that Audi has not sold out the RS brand like BMW has done with M and Mercedes has done with AMG. You don’t see any RS branding on a non RS car. Meanwhile BMW has destroyed the exclusivity of the M brand and Mercedes is heading in that direction with AMG.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
RS, AMG, and M each have their own personalities and one does not trump the other.

I do think Audi has the best interiors, and the RS models are indeed more rare than AMG or M.

I also respect the fact that Audi has not sold out the RS brand like BMW has done with M and Mercedes has done with AMG. You don’t see any RS branding on a non RS car. Meanwhile BMW has destroyed the exclusivity of the M brand and Mercedes is heading in that direction with AMG.
Thanks Rare is something I would hesitate to say to be honest. I live around an area where I can safely say we have a lot higher end cars. The only place that would beat where I live is probably Beverly Hills due to movie stars. So I use that as kind of a measuring stick for cars. I have seen a handful of Audi RSs only here, none of them happen to be the Audi RS3. Mainly RS7 and R8. We have way more M3/M4 here by a large margin than we do with AMGs.

I also didn't know about the DSG to DCT change. I would have to get my hands on the 2018 S3 to feel the difference between the two gearbox.

Pricing wise I'm not too positive. They were willing to give me a price on the 2018 S3 almost right away below MSRP because they consider me a VIP but they told me the RS3 price they usually sell above sticker price and that won't work for me. I know I can push the price down on a RS3 from them but it would be hard to negotiate on it if they sell the RS3 usually above sticker price. I can easily aim at the CLA45 AMG I saw and posted about few weeks ago and get that at a very good price because that is a 2017 not 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
It is more of a perception sort of thing. Us M owners obviously dislike the fact that BMW is going down a route that will dilute their M cars too much as a BMW M doesn't have a standout feature that is unique to BMW alone. Aside from everyone knowing what a BMW M3 is, there isn't much aside from that. Unlike Benz AMG where the real AMGs are hand build engine, or a Audi RS being an RS. Audi definitely doesn't dilute their car line ups too much with the S, and R being there. They are the only brand I know of that separates into three clear tiers of performance. That is very commendable.

It is just how us humans happens to be. We get a certain car on a price range and want to feel unique somehow but major car companies are sadly driven by sales. Can't say I'm super upset with BMW but I wish they would tone down the M on non-M cars a bit. I don't mind the M240i, I have a bit of a problem with the M550i...
      10-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I also didn't know about the DSG to DCT change. I would have to get my hands on the 2018 S3 to feel the difference between the two gearboxes.
DSG is what VW calls their dual clutch, in Audi speak I guess it is called S-Tronic. Same gearbox, used in both the Golf R and S3. Only change was six speed to seven speed. Interestingly they have had the seven speed in Europe for a few years. We are just getting it here now.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
I also didn't know about the DSG to DCT change. I would have to get my hands on the 2018 S3 to feel the difference between the two gearboxes.
DSG is what VW calls their dual clutch, in Audi speak I guess it is called S-Tronic. Same gearbox, used in both the Golf R and S3. Only change was six speed to seven speed. Interestingly they have had the seven speed in Europe for a few years. We are just getting it here now.
Similar to how the R and S3 only have direct injection in the US, but both direct and port injection in the ROW. '18 R's also have more power 306 vs 292 in the ROW but stay the same in the US. EU Rs also have the Akropovic exhaust as an option.

Tl;dr Audi/VW USA sucks.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8162.00
      10-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
What? There's always one that is faster and/or better handling so yes 1 of them trumps the others every time.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Quote:
What? There's always one that is faster and/or better handling so yes 1 of them trumps the others every time.
If you were buying a car solely on magazine stats, you?d just buy a Z06. Oh, wait...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #10
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not really.

You can compare numbers and all of that but when it comes down to it, a RS5, M4 and C63s Coupe are similar in performance. It is mainly just what you prefer as a brand.

AMGs are known for their engines but kinda lackluster transmission. Current gen M3/M4 are known to great and nimble cars but iffy on the exhaust tone. New RS5 is a great road car, not a good track car due to the well known Audi understeer/oversteer. (You don't put the engine where they usually put it without some consequences on track.)

It is all what you prefer, which is why I ignore car magazines when they do these comparisons because in the real life world, numbers matter very little. I have a preference for BMWs but for my next car I want to have something that isn't a BMW for once, which is why I'm aiming at Benz and Audi.
      10-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Not really.

You can compare numbers and all of that but when it comes down to it, a RS5, M4 and C63s Coupe are similar in performance. It is mainly just what you prefer as a brand.

AMGs are known for their engines but kinda lackluster transmission. Current gen M3/M4 are known to great and nimble cars but iffy on the exhaust tone. New RS5 is a great road car, not a good track car due to the well known Audi understeer/oversteer. (You don't put the engine where they usually put it without some consequences on track.)

It is all what you prefer, which is why I ignore car magazines when they do these comparisons because in the real life world, numbers matter very little. I have a preference for BMWs but for my next car I want to have something that isn't a BMW for once, which is why I'm aiming at Benz and Audi.
Yes, really. Unless they all have the exact same #s in every performance category, one will be a better performer than the others. Goes for every other car vs its competition too.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
OP, thanks for the excellent detailed review. A lot of what you've said is ultimately why I decided on the S3. I really wanted the RS3 but couldn't justify the price difference for a mostly daily driven car (heavily discounted S3 versus "dealer price adjustments" for the RS3).

For a 4 banger, the S3, surprisingly, does sound really good with the resonator delete (got it as a factory option). It's even louder than my aftermarket Eisenmann sport exhaust on my M Coupe - that is very good for a factory option.

The car is still in it's break-in period, so I hadn't open her up yet - still putzing around for a few more weeks before I can have some fun with it.

PS - I'm not sure why the moderator locked my original thread Would have love to post my follow up review of it after owning it for a few months down the line.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #13
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, really. Unless they all have the exact same #s in every performance category, one will be a better performer than the others. Goes for every other car vs its competition too.
If you personally like to see things that way that's fine.

I really don't and I personally don't associate myself in life with people who are obsessed with performance numbers either. People online or a lot of car enthusiasts are obsessed with numbers/track numbers, 0-60 and all that jazz but in actual reality you will never hit those numbers. Ever. Unless you are a professional driver like Randy Pobst. A car like a M3/M4 are more than just the 0-60 and its performance #, that's why getting your hands on it and driving it would give you a better feel of the car.

No real person need a car with this type of performance. It is more bragging rights than anything else. No one really needs a M4, C63s, or a RS5. Why do you think the M3/M4 vs Forum section is filled with so much whining, salty posts? We want to justify our purchase with a car like this. The only reason Audi, BMW, Benz etc builds these cars are for people who likes to flaunt their cars or just love cars with the ability to do something they cannot handle. Everyone has their own sort of reasons to want a car like a M3, C63s, RS5 or why we prefer a certain car brand over the other.

I know I do not need a Audi RS3, I prefer it because of the car's feel and the way it drives.

Just because 1 car's statistics are better doesn't mean much in my eyes. Exactly why I don't like the Giulia QV. Alfa Romeo flaunts its numbers all over but when you look at everything else about the car, forum wise, it is filled with issues. I could have easily just gotten a Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti as a lease + daily and be okay with it despite all of my misgivings with the car when I test drove/researched it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
OP, thanks for the excellent detailed review. A lot of what you've said is ultimately why I decided on the S3. I really wanted the RS3 but couldn't justify the price difference for a mostly daily driven car (heavily discounted S3 versus "dealer price adjustments" for the RS3).

For a 4 banger, the S3, surprisingly, does sound really good with the resonator delete (got it as a factory option). It's even louder than my aftermarket Eisenmann sport exhaust on my M Coupe - that is very good for a factory option.

The car is still in it's break-in period, so I hadn't open her up yet - still putzing around for a few more weeks before I can have some fun with it.

PS - I'm not sure why the moderator locked my original thread Would have love to post my follow up review of it after owning it for a few months down the line.

Thanks.

It is probably because you got what you needed out of the thread so one of the mods closed it lol. Funny you mentioned that because the S3 you ended up getting was more or less exactly the car that my dealership I had contacts with had sitting in their lot, unopened more or less.

The Audi RS3 would definitely be more in line with what I would prefer to drive. However there are a few things that I would need to know about the car before I can even justify it's price. I know most of my friends I have spoken to prefer the RS3 over the CLA45 I posted but I know for certain I can get the CLA45 at a better price than the RS3, especially if this dealer doesn't tend to sell theirs at MSRP, which would make it hard for me to bargain if I am unable to find a better price around in LA to tell them otherwise.

As I mentioned above me though to the other guy. I know I won't need a RS3 as a daily. It's far overkill for anything that I do. Hell the AMG CLA45 is far overkill as well but If I can get anyone of these two cars at below MSRP that I find the price to be alright I don't mind.

The S3 I drove was pre-owned so the engine was broken in already. Still though I had a lot of trouble hearing the engine, exhaust. It was just too quiet for me. Daily wise it would be fine, I drive the company Prius a lot so it isn't like I'm not used to driving something crappy but if it is going to be a finance (RS3 or CLA45 would be a long term too) then I would want a car with a bit more personality. S3 is... a bit lacking in that department. Just a little but I am also super picky about it lol

I like these two cars because it is very similar in size to my first car I ever had, that I had for 10 years. I want to be back in a car of this size. Hell if I can get my hands on the GLA45 AMG that might be even better :P

Last edited by Arcades; 10-22-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

Love this thread! Thanks for all the useful info guys
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

The Golf R, and by extension the S3 is really underwhelming stock. I wasn't impressed at all with either, but unlike the B58 the S3's engine is very tunable if you're willing to risk a TD1 invalidating your warranty

If left stock I absolutely would not want to drive one compared to my car. The RS3 is a way better idea in that case
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
The Golf R, and by extension the S3 is really underwhelming stock. I wasn't impressed at all with either, but unlike the B58 the S3's engine is very tunable if you're willing to risk a TD1 invalidating your warranty

If left stock I absolutely would not want to drive one compared to my car. The RS3 is a way better idea in that case
I actually wanted to see the Golf R in person but I already know I would be bothered by the way too subtle looks. Engine/Exhaust would be something I have to hear in person. My first car was a VW so it is something I wanted to look into.

I just know though the RS3 and CLA45/GLA45 would be much more down my alley. I am not sure if I want to get a car in between casual and sport. S3 sits in between that.

Of course this can all change if price doesn't meet my expectations.
      10-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Why are modern cars so outrageously heavy? My 2008 9-3 wagon is barely 3400 pounds, cannot believe how heavy some of these small sedans are.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8162.00
      10-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Why are modern cars so outrageously heavy? My 2008 9-3 wagon is barely 3400 pounds, cannot believe how heavy some of these small sedans are.
S3 is about that weight and the RS3 is 3,540. They pass stricter crash tests, have bigger wheels, tires, brakes, etc and make a good bit more power. Sadly they also have a heavier transmission, but they do have awd. They're only 6" shorter than the Saab too.

Not sure what you expect. Not like anything in this class is packing on lots of carbon, etc. you'd have to go back to E36 or B5 era cars to get significantly lighter and those fold up like tin cans compared to modern cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #19
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

All this talk about which brand is faster and better is all just people trying to reinforce how big their weewee's are.

Fact: 95% of owners of any of these vehicles will never go anywhere near a track. These cars will all get to 30 in the traffic that they will be driven in at the same speed.

After owning BMW's my entire life, I've decided to change things up and ordered an S5 Coupe. The interior design and fit and finish on the Audi's demolish the 3/4 series and AND the Mercedes C43.
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4463.00
XMetal1125.00
      10-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #20
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
All this talk about which brand is faster and better is all just people trying to reinforce how big their weewee's are.

Fact: 95% of owners of any of these vehicles will never go anywhere near a track. These cars will all get to 30 in the traffic that they will be driven in at the same speed.

After owning BMW's my entire life, I've decided to change things up and ordered an S5 Coupe. The interior design and fit and finish on the Audi's demolish the 3/4 series and AND the Mercedes C43.
My response was to the two people who posted in my thread is exactly my point.

I absolutely despise people who flaunt car statical numbers as some sort of leverage for the car being magically better. 0-60 numbers are nothing but a advertisement nothing else. They think because owning a car that is supposed to be faster means something. Sorry, it doesn't mean anything. There are more to a car than just how fast it goes.

Personally, I have a few issues with the Audi RS3 that is purely on the price side. The CLA45 AMG appeals to me more. The Audi S3 Prestige has B&O as standard. The Audi RS3, top of the line for the class of cars for Audi, doesn't. There are no reasons for this, not to mention how absurd the packages are for the RS3. Until I find a reasonable price on a RS3, I will probably not consider the car even though it is probably the best out of the bunch so far I have considered.

The S3 Prestige, while a great car, is missing something I wish it had. I don't believe changing the exhaust would change my mind on that much sadly. That is unless I have a good incentive to get the S3 Prestige the dealership I have connections with would give me.
XMetal1125.00
      10-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #21
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post

Agreed - well said. I love all of my BMWs (still owns two and don't see myself selling either one anytime soon), but I just can't get myself to own a modern one as it has turned too mainstream.

PS - How does your co-workers feel seeing you in an Audi going into work?
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #22
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
My response was to the two people who posted in my thread is exactly my point.

I absolutely despise people who flaunt car statical numbers as some sort of leverage for the car being magically better. 0-60 numbers are nothing but a advertisement nothing else. They think because owning a car that is supposed to be faster means something. Sorry, it doesn't mean anything. There are more to a car than just how fast it goes.

Personally, I have a few issues with the Audi RS3 that is purely on the price side. The CLA45 AMG appeals to me more. The Audi S3 Prestige has B&O as standard. The Audi RS3, top of the line for the class of cars for Audi, doesn't. There are no reasons for this, not to mention how absurd the packages are for the RS3. Until I find a reasonable price on a RS3, I will probably not consider the car even though it is probably the best out of the bunch so far I have considered.

The S3 Prestige, while a great car, is missing something I wish it had. I don't believe changing the exhaust would change my mind on that much sadly. That is unless I have a good incentive to get the S3 Prestige the dealership I have connections with would give me.
The S3 is a fantastic car. Your complaints can be easily fixed with a resonator delete straight from the factory.
Appreciate 0