2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Help with boot spring replacement

01-09-2021, 07:44 AM   #1
Naimc
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Help with boot spring replacement

Hi. New here and first time doing something myself on a car

I have a 2011 520d and the boot spring needs changing as I feel the boot is close to going straight through the window!

I had a look at some videos and posts online regarding what I needed and I ordered the part.

Now where I am confused is that all the videos I've seen they're all replacing just the right spring so I assumed there was only one.

I ordered the spring with the part number 51247204366. I had a look at my car and I noticed there is also a spring on the left side. Upon more research the part I ordered is left side and not right. The right side part number is 51247204367.

Can anyone shed light on if I need to replace both, or just either the left/right? And are both the sides the same or interchangeable or does it have to be the specific part number?

Many thanks!

Edit: upon some more research I found out one is tension spring and one is return spring. Which one did I order and which one is the one I need? My boot doesn't have auto close

Last edited by Naimc; 01-09-2021 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0