2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW F10 550i Schedule Maintenance

09-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
ajaquino
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport X-Drive

BMW F10 550i Schedule Maintenance

Hello all,

Can everyone share what's a proper scheduled maintenance for BMW F10 550i. I currently own a 2011 550i MSPORT XDRIVE approaching 50k miles and plan on doing most of the service myself...eventually posting videos on DIY on youtube. I see this car, 550i doesnt have much DIY posted. So please share with me major maintenance schedule and what it's called for...or are maintenance just oil change and brakes. I owned previously Lexus ISF and I know it had major maintenance scheduled for spark plugs, rear dif fluid, etc. which I did it myself because it was costly. So please share with me fellow F10 535 & 550 owners. I will actually start doing oil change @ interval 7500 miles and will have video posted soon. And by next month front brake and rear brake videos. Hope to hear from you guys.

Allan
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaquino View Post
Hello all,

Can everyone share what's a proper scheduled maintenance for BMW F10 550i. I currently own a 2011 550i MSPORT XDRIVE approaching 50k miles and plan on doing most of the service myself...eventually posting videos on DIY on youtube. I see this car, 550i doesnt have much DIY posted. So please share with me major maintenance schedule and what it's called for...or are maintenance just oil change and brakes. I owned previously Lexus ISF and I know it had major maintenance scheduled for spark plugs, rear dif fluid, etc. which I did it myself because it was costly. So please share with me fellow F10 535 & 550 owners. I will actually start doing oil change @ interval 7500 miles and will have video posted soon. And by next month front brake and rear brake videos. Hope to hear from you guys.

Allan
Allan - did you get the owner's manuals with the car? If so, there's a maintenance / service guide that will show you what each maintenance interval requires. Normally they alternate between basic oil changes with air filters and the like to more complex maintenance. You may also be able to find the maintenance schedule by searching this forum or the web.

If you can't find it, I can see about digging mine out - not sure if the schedule has changed between your MY (2011) and mine (2014) - I suspect they're pretty similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
ajaquino
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport X-Drive

I didnt get manual as i purchased vehicle CPO, yet still didnt have one. Let me know if you can share yours.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I would swing by your dealer and ask them for this booklet:

"Service and Warranty Information" - it's a small booklet (maybe 30 pages or so), but it explains the service requirements. I'll try to summarize the key points here. When the CBS (Condition Based Service) tells you service is due...

1. Verify the Check Control Messages

2. Check all indicator and warning lights

3. Reset the CBS display

4. Inspect tires, check pressure, and reset the TPMS

5. Change engine oil

6. Check parking brake function

7. Every other engine oil change, replace the ventilation micro-filter

8. Every 5th oil change, replace the air intake filter

9. Check brakes and replace pads and rotors as needed

10. Perform Vehicle Check - there are probably 30 things here listed, everything from horn operation through fluid levels. Essentially, though, you're just checking the operation of all critical functions. Some sample systems include brake lines (checking for leaks), tire tread, coolant levels, etc.

11. Replace brake fluid (no interval specified)

12. Replace brake pads as necessary or clean contact areas

13. Replace spark plugs at 6th engine oil change or 60,000 miles

14. Replace oxygen sensors at 120,000 miles

I hope this helps. I think this sums up the major points from the manual, but I'd still look to pick one up yourself (along with the other manuals) if you plan to do all of the maintenance yourself... I'm sure it'll come in handy!
Appreciate 0