2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 528i Possible over heat?

07-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
EZduzit123
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

528i Possible over heat?

Hey guys I'm not sure if theres a thread out there about this topic but I went on a vacation trip recently and the weather there was 112* On the way there i had my A/C on blast due to the heat and for about an hr and a half i was averaging 90-95mph. After stopping for a quick snack i realized that my car was making ridiculous amounts of noise due to the fan to cool it down (as if the fan was about to just launch out of the grills, and i quickly checked the temperature it was a little below 320*. Driving around town i also realized that my car wasn't as powerful and was barely moving. Have any of you guys experienced something like this?

I asked the dealership and they stated cause of the heat and ac on i shouldn't have been going 95mph for an hr and a half but i thought a brand new 2013 528i bmw was built for situations like this (autobahn)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
madoon
Rep
Drives: 2014 520i

your fine, i live in an area where we get those 100+ (40C+) for 3-4 months a year.

and any car when stressed, starts to heat up a little. the car then starts to enable some features as a way to cool down,
-there is the fan (which i have always heard in my old e60 and now 3 month old f10, which i call lift off mode, fan will function as a propeller)
-next step is the engine power loss, the car starts to cut some power as a way to cool down, usually by this point the engine sounds weird, (yet to see this on the f10, but it is a new car, and i havent been on very long trims these few days. im sure i will in the future)

general rule, if you dont get a warning from the car, its not really overheating, its just hotter than usual!

im surpised you heated the car doing those speeds, they are not that high?!?
were you driving faster, maybe uphill, or too close to a car in front where the engine couldnt breathe, or driving in manual, and using high RPM???
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
ponytail
Registered
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 528i

As you aware N20 has turbo charger.
Though BMW says it doesn't require cooling down right after highway or dynamic driving, it would be better to keep running idle for about 2~5mins before putting off engine which I learn from my past car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
fung0001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 2013 520i Hartge Tuning

you better check the intercooler

Is it very dirty? If not you better change for a bigger one from the aftermarket
Appreciate 0