2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications M5 Exhaust to 550X Advice Needed

02-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi M-Sport

M5 Exhaust to 550X Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

Been loving my 11 550x M-Sport for about 3 weeks. I just picked up a full M5 exhaust to help improve the totally quiet stock exhaust system. I'm looking for some advice as the best / most efficient way to do this. I am mostly looking to (1) improve sound and (2) keep install costs to a minimum.

I understand that my options are to either just swap the mufflers to the stock system or perhaps attach the full exhaust to the stock downpipes. Someone suggested removing the center resonator as well. As far as sound, I still need it to be somewhat classy. Not looking for an over the top sound. If I do the full system, there needs to be a transition piece to take the piping down from 3" to 2.5"?

Would appreciate input as to the best way to do this for those who have done this mod as well as the expected costs for each approach.

Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

I just put M5 Mufflers on my otherwise stock 550i exhaust. The vacuum valves are still functional. The sound for me is perfect. It has a little more rumble when you want it, but can remain quiet if you baby the throttle. They had to put a reducer sleeve to mate the 3" pipes on the mufflers to the stock 550 pipes. No big deal really. The hardest part is getting the M5 diffuser to fit.
All in it cost me 250 to remove the old, install the new, paint and install new diffuser. My car was in the body shop getting the rear bumper and trunk replaced from a guy who backed into me, so I got them to include the paint and install of the difusser in the insurance money I had.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
I just put M5 Mufflers on my otherwise stock 550i exhaust. The vacuum valves are still functional. The sound for me is perfect. It has a little more rumble when you want it, but can remain quiet if you baby the throttle. They had to put a reducer sleeve to mate the 3" pipes on the mufflers to the stock 550 pipes. No big deal really. The hardest part is getting the M5 diffuser to fit.
All in it cost me 250 to remove the old, install the new, paint and install new diffuser. My car was in the body shop getting the rear bumper and trunk replaced from a guy who backed into me, so I got them to include the paint and install of the difusser in the insurance money I had.
Thanks. Is a diffuser swap necessary? Seller told me I did not need to change the diffuser and M5 exhaust will fit the stock m-sport diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerkpalmer View Post
Thanks. Is a diffuser swap necessary? Seller told me I did not need to change the diffuser and M5 exhaust will fit the stock m-sport diffuser.
Answered my own question. It seems a diffuser swap is not necessary:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903100
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep

It's not necessary but you'll have to modfy the location of the mufflers/hangers to fit the M-sport. Plus the diffuser looks awesome
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Plus the diffuser looks awesome
Ha ha, I'm sure it does. Just not part of my budget (or should I say my wife's budget).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

The diffuser is actually pretty cheap if you order it from Tischer BMW. $199. If you get the suppose bracket for comfort access cars thats another 30 bucks.

The M5 exhaust will not line up with the msport diffuser unless you modify it.

Alan
      02-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Transition piece? Depends

Yes, you'll need a transition piece. My muffler guy took a short 3" tube, bent a it a bit, slightly flared on end (slips over the 2 3/4" stock 550i exhaust) and slightly swedged the other end (slips into the 3 1/8" M5/M6 muffler). Picture below shows the piece (just aft of the axle) welded in place. The stock hangers were used and the tips tapped inward a bit to set flush with the M Sport diffuser. I used M6 mufflers, that exit out the M sport opening. As Alan L mentioned, the M5 mufflers point inboard and a new diffuser would be needed...or, you'll have to modify the pipes. Last pic shows the M6 muffler tips set into my stock 550i M sport diffuser.
BTW...If you intend to install the whole system, you may not need a transition piece at all. I had read another post where someone did just that and did not run into any problems other than the rear diffuser upgrade (if using M5 instead of M6).
I just wanted to hear the mufflers first so I needed to cut and weld them on with the transition piece.
I hooked up the vacuum flap and am quite pleased. I did not install the M6 cross over mid section as well as the head pipes...I may just add those latter on if I want a tad more sound but for now, M5/M6 mufflers are music to my ears (NO DRONE).
Go for it! thumsup:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Enjoy my friend!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

A question was asked regarding any adjustments to the quad tips. Depending on if you're using the M5 or M6 muffler, the quad tips are oriented a bit different. While the muffler sounds and looks the same, you'll notice the M6 muffler tips point a bit outboard, which on my car sat dead center into the MSport diffuser. The M5 muffler, on the other hand, points inwards a bit and is meant to fit into an M5 diffuser. But, many folks have used the M5 muffler with the stock MSport diffuser and I'm guessing its a minor tweak of the pipes to re-orientate the direction. Both M6/M5 tips are slip on 3" sleeves and will take a few taps of the rubber mallet to get the length just right to your taste.
Scott135i on this forum did M5s on his 550i and has photos..check it out.
Now if you were to use aftermarket tips anyway, then the orientation might not matter that much since your shop is going to weld them on anyway.

In summary, its the alignment of the exhaust tips that is the issue. The muffler and/or mid pipes hang with no problem. Pic below shows the orientation of the M5 muffler (top) compared to my M6 muffler, both viewed as right side from beneath the car. I tweaked the pic angle so you can see the direction of the tips for both mufflers.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
A question was asked regarding any adjustments to the quad tips. Depending on if you're using the M5 or M6 muffler, the quad tips are oriented a bit different. While the muffler sounds and looks the same, you'll notice the M6 muffler tips point a bit outboard, which on my car sat dead center into the MSport diffuser. The M5 muffler, on the other hand, points inwards a bit and is meant to fit into an M5 diffuser. But, many folks have used the M5 muffler with the stock MSport diffuser and I'm guessing its a minor tweak of the pipes to re-orientate the direction. Both M6/M5 tips are slip on 3" sleeves and will take a few taps of the rubber mallet to get the length just right to your taste.
Scott135i on this forum did M5s on his 550i and has photos..check it out.
Now if you were to use aftermarket tips anyway, then the orientation might not matter that much since your shop is going to weld them on anyway.

In summary, its the alignment of the exhaust tips that is the issue. The muffler and/or mid pipes hang with no problem. Pic below shows the orientation of the M5 muffler (top) compared to my M6 muffler, both viewed as right side from beneath the car. I tweaked the pic angle so you can see the direction of the tips for both mufflers.
Hope this helps.
HDEddie you are the man! Thanks for this superb explanation and assistance.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

No problemo...glad to help.
He're a quick phone pic straight-on of those tips and how they set right into the stock MSport bumper. High and tight and centered
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #13
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep

Looks awesome. Can't wait. Hard to believe it looks better than the blackout 550 tips but it does.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #14
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

M5 and M6 mufflers BOTH will fit

CORRECTION TO MY POST #10 ABOVE.
Just verified with scott135i, fellow F10 550i MSport driver, that the factory M5 muffler does indeed fit with no problems with tip orientation. Maybe my M6 mufflers just look a little off in the way the tips point when compared to the picture of the M5 muffler but, nevertheless, BOTH will work with the 550i MSport diffuser.
Sorry to all for any confusion I might have created.
Eddie
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep

Finally got my car cleaned up after getting it back from the shop. Here's a couple of pics with M5 mufflers and diffuser with stock tips painted gloss black. Couldn't be happier with this setup. I'll get some sound clips soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #16
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Finally got my car cleaned up after getting it back from the shop. Here's a couple of pics with M5 mufflers and diffuser with stock tips painted gloss black. Couldn't be happier with this setup. I'll get some sound clips soon.
Looks awesome. Did you leave the center resonator on? Can't wait for the clips.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep

Yes. Only swapped the mufflers. I bought the full exhaust from a local board member but it's 13 feet long and I couldn't transport it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #18
clerkpalmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Only swapped the mufflers. I bought the full exhaust from a local board member but it's 13 feet long and I couldn't transport it.
How do you feel about the improvement? I'm looking for a nice change but my car is a work car so it can't be over the top. It would be nice to hear the exhaust once in a while. Stock is truly silent.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep

Its how the car should've came from the factory. I couldn't be happier. The key is to make sure you keep the vaccum valves functunal or you will have drone. I experimented with tying the valves open, but the drone was unbearable. It's a great factory sounding exhaust. You can hear it, but it's not obnoxious at all. It's subtle enough that my wife hasn't said anything about it, but I try to take it easy on the throttle when she's in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Its how the car should've came from the factory. I couldn't be happier. The key is to make sure you keep the vaccum valves functunal or you will have drone. I experimented with tying the valves open, but the drone was unbearable. It's a great factory sounding exhaust. You can hear it, but it's not obnoxious at all. It's subtle enough that my wife hasn't said anything about it, but I try to take it easy on the throttle when she's in the car.
Interesting man, b/c with my flaps open and my x-pipe, I have no drone while driving unless I do it on purpose.

To do it on purpose, manually shift to 7th gear while at 30 mph and floor it. On all normal driving, I can't make it drone.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #21
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerkpalmer View Post
How do you feel about the improvement? I'm looking for a nice change but my car is a work car so it can't be over the top. It would be nice to hear the exhaust once in a while. Stock is truly silent.
GET M5 mufflers... need more sound? Open the flaps... need more sound? Replace the center muffler w/ an x-pipe...need more sound? Replace the resonators w/ straight pipes... need more sound? Get hi-flow catted downpipes... need more sound? Get catless downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #22
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Haha you're the man Scott !
Appreciate 0