2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone else notice this issue - transmission related

01-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Anyone else notice this issue - transmission related

A few months ago I noticed after starting my car following it being parked all day, that it felt like the car was not completing in "Drive" after I put the transmission in "D" and pressed the accelerator. There was a 2-3 second delay where the transmission seemed to not be getting power. After about 3 seconds it felt like "D" fully engaged and the car drove perfectly fine afterwards. I did not experience the issue again until today when after my car was sitting in my garage for a day and a half, I got that same hesitation after backing out of my driveway. When it happened the first time I dismissed it as some weird quirk. Now I am afraid it might be the start of a bigger issue. Anyone experience this or have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
corys530
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
A few months ago I noticed after starting my car following it being parked all day, that it felt like the car was not completing in "Drive" after I put the transmission in "D" and pressed the accelerator. There was a 2-3 second delay where the transmission seemed to not be getting power. After about 3 seconds it felt like "D" fully engaged and the car drove perfectly fine afterwards. I did not experience the issue again until today when after my car was sitting in my garage for a day and a half, I got that same hesitation after backing out of my driveway. When it happened the first time I dismissed it as some weird quirk. Now I am afraid it might be the start of a bigger issue. Anyone experience this or have any ideas?
Ive got a 2012 535
Sounds like mine, every morning after it sits overnight and sometimes after 8 hours at work there is a delay, also on the first shift, not a full 3 seconds but a definite delay and small lurch after it completes the shift.
i just chalk it up to being cold as after that its fine?
2014 328i
2012 535i
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
geminiys
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 535XI & 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Does it happen on inclined parked street or straight forward as well? Mine only does it when parked on inclined terrain. Talked to SA long ago and was told that it is designed that way to avoid rollback, especially when tranny fluid is cold.
2018, Q5, 100 miles
2005, XC70 AWD, 160k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiys View Post
Does it happen on inclined parked street or straight forward as well? Mine only does it when parked on inclined terrain. Talked to SA long ago and was told that it is designed that way to avoid rollback, especially when tranny fluid is cold.
No inclines and in both cases the tranny fluid would not have been extremely cold. My garage is attached to my house so it is semi heated. Even in the coldest weather, my garage is always above freezing temp. My CPO warranty expires in April, so if this is signs of a looming issue, I want to get it taken care of sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys530 View Post
Ive got a 2012 535
Sounds like mine, every morning after it sits overnight and sometimes after 8 hours at work there is a delay, also on the first shift, not a full 3 seconds but a definite delay and small lurch after it completes the shift.
That is what I thought at first, but I am nervous it could be something more serious. I had a Honda Accord years ago that started doing something similar. When shifting from P to D, it would sometimes take 10 seconds for the transmission to engage. It only did it sometimes so at first and I assumed the same as you. Eventually it started taking longer, and wasn't only happening when it was cold out. Got to the point that sometimes it was a few minutes and it was really annoying when I was in a rush. It was just a cheap beater for me at the time so I never spent money to get it fixed. Ended up giving the car away to someone that needed it more than I did and just bought another beater.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
essjon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Sounds to me like low on trans fluid
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromwrxto330ci View Post
Sounds to me like low on trans fluid
This is what just crossed my mind today. I think I am going to have my shop check for leaks and perhaps just do a transmission fluid change. I know the fluid is "supposed" to be lifetime, but I don't believe in that. Car just hit 50K about a month ago, so probably a good time to address this.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys530 View Post
Ive got a 2012 535
Had this exact same problem. problem never came back after a transmission fluid service

service your damn transmission
Appreciate 1
bake601.50