2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Planning to buy a 530D GT- need advice

02-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
biswasg
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E270 CDI

Planning to buy a 530D GT- need advice

I am considering replacing my 7 year old Merc E270 CDI, a car I have enjoyed driving and have no complaints. This time want to try out a BMW. I shortlisted the 530D GT specially for its practicality and legroom at the rear. However, from the various reviews, the thing that has concerned me most is some reports of rough drive unlike a BMW luxury sedan. While most of my drives will be on reasonably good roads, would not want to suffer on the occaisional driving on rural roads or on crossing speed bumps which my Merc does smoothly.
Hope to hear from real owners and daily users of the GT in this forum.
Any other advice on must have and never-have options while ordering the car will also be useful. I would like to keep the cost low by only ordering really practical and safety features.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
sirees01
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F01 730d MSport 2010

Hi biswag,

Maybe I can offer some advice for you.

I drive a BMW 7 series F01, which we bought to replace my X6.
My wife drives a BMW 5 series GT, which we bought to replace her X5.

Both cars are absolutely fantastic, and the GT is incredibly spacious especially for rear passengers.

However, the difference in ride quality between 7 & 5 is night and day.
The GT is a completely different ride, much harder than you would expect.

Maybe we notice it more because we are in and out of both vehicles often.
Many drivers put this down to runflats, but I also have runflats on my 7 and the ride is fantastic.

I would arrange a lengthy testdrive with your dealer, and see how you get on.
I would guess that you will notice a HUGE difference compared to your MB.

Don't forget that the GT is an incredible car, as long as you find the ride acceptable you will be very happy with one.

Cheers
Simon
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

I test-drove a 535i GT twice before ordering mine... my first impressions were that the car was rather large (partially due to sitting much higher up than my current 650i) and that it maneuvered more like a 7 than a 5 sedan (probably due to being longer than a 5). Mine arrives in two weeks, so I can offer a more informed opinion then.

I ordered everything on my GT except:

night vision (could not find a single car -- of any model -- in the SF bay area to test drive it; too expensive; did not think I would realistically take my eyes off the road at night to watch out for pedestrians in the iDrive screen)

active cruise control (too expensive given how rarely I'd use it)

executive/luxury rear seating package (flexibility of a fifth seat outweighs nicer rear seats)

ceramic controls (did not seem to fit with the GT's interior aesthetics, seemed overpriced)

smartphone integration (did not want to sacrifice center console space, seemed redundant)

The one must-have seems to be the camera package, given how poor the rear window visibility is. Every GT I've seen on a dealer lot has had this option, no matter how tricked out or stripped down each car is configured.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

sirees01: Just out of curiosity, is your GT equipped with Adaptive Drive/Dynamic Handling Package or Integral Active Steering?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
sirees01
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F01 730d MSport 2010

We have Dynamic Package on both cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 520D MSport

Hi there. I got out of an E220 CDi Avantgarde into my 530D GT & have been delighted so far (nearly 4 months with the 5er).

Mine came with 20 inch wheels via the dynamic pack. I find the ride to be very smooth on well maintained roads. On poor quality roads, it can be sometimes harsh but not much harsher than what I experienced in the Merc. You do feel deep potholes & the vibrations felt are slightly amplified due to the panoramic roof which means that the body is slightly less rigid than a full piece roof without the glass.

I would agree with the other post which suggests a long test drive to fully evaluate for yourself.

I would strongly recommend the rear reversing camera. I have a tight car park space at work & find this to be a huge advantage.

Good luck. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
biswasg
Registered
Switzerland
Rep

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. I took the plunge and have booked the a 530d version. Delivery expected in 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Eddie Reed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i GT

One thing about owning a GT. Get used to the idea that other BMW owners will walk up to you (at gas stations and parking lots, ect), and ask about the car. In the US there are not that many of them, so everyone is curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirees01 View Post
Hi biswag,

Both cars are absolutely fantastic, and the GT is incredibly spacious especially for rear passengers.

Many drivers put this down to runflats, but I also have runflats on my 7 and the ride is fantastic.

Don't forget that the GT is an incredible car, as long as you find the ride acceptable you will be very happy with one.

Cheers
Simon
sirees01 will you elaborate a bit more on your "much harder than you would expect" comment?

Is this only in direct comparison with the 7 series, or do you find the GT ride to be hard or harsh in general?

Have you driven the 550i sedan, and if so, how does the GT ride quality compare?

Do you use comfort mode in the GT or another mode?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Barto
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW GT

For what it's worth I find the ride in my wife's MB C280 more firm than my GT. I love the GT's ride but I also like the MB. Just two different feelings and both very pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
spark9
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Gran Turismo 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirees01 View Post
Hi biswag,

Cheers
Simon
Please be so kind and explain:

1) What is the difference in ride quality between 7 and 5GT? (You have said night and day difference. Can you be more specific?)

I have BMW GT 530d with Dynamic Drive Control + Adaptive Drive and I am experiencing smooth (not at all hard) drive?

I can not see any difference in these two ADAC tests:

http://www.adac.de/_ext/itr/tests/Au...omatic_DPF.pdf

http://www.adac.de/_ext/itr/tests/Au...omatic_DPF.pdf

2) What was the reason for swapping X6 with 7 and X5 with 5GT?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Last edited by spark9; 04-14-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
biswasg
Registered
Switzerland
Rep

I took delivery of my 530d GT yesterday.
Pleasure to drive and very spacious at the back.
Will be taking it for a 500Km drive (round trip) to Beaune (Cote d-Or, France) over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I'm jealous, I wish BMW would bring more diesels to the USA. I'm picking up a 535i in a couple weeks in Munich. Much rather have the diesel, but they told me, if it happens, it won't happen for several years. Now, I'll be really annoyed if they change their minds and it happens much sooner. From what I've seen in the European BMW websites, the diesel is about on par cost wise with the gasoline equivalent engine. In the USA, they charge around $4K premium for the diesel, which also doesn't make sense. You can buy a lot of gasoline for $4k to cover the difference in fuel economy. You'd still make out if you kept it long enough, and the much greater range per tank is a nice feature. Oh well, who knows what the state of the art will be when it comes time to replace this new one - at least 5-6 years down the road (I hope!).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
oinick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 740i, 2010 535i GT

My wife drives a 2011 740i and I drive a 2010 535i GT. They are very similar and very different at the same time. The 740 is much plusher and more luxurious even though my 535 is very heavily optioned. The 740 drives better on the highway (like a heavy road cruiser, which it is) but also because it has the M sport package whereas the 535 does not drive as well. The 535 is taller and more prone to crosswinds, which I think is the real difference in the ride quality. But for interior room and comfort, especially in the rear seats, the 535 is better. The adjustable seats in the rear and the dual option hatch/trunk is the cat's ass. Personally I enjoy the 535 as well as the 740 with one exception. The eight speed tranny really seems to shift a lot at low speeds, which is a little irritating but is also how it gets better MPG than the 740. Overall, I think the N55 is better than the N54 in the 740 as it seems to have a flatter torque curve with more available at lower speeds.

From a driver's perspective, I thought the GT was a better ride and certainly more attractive from the driver's seat than the 535i sedan. The GT seat position is almost like an SUV but not hard to get into and out of and the longer wheelbase makes for a smoother ride than the 535i sedan. But again, the 535 GT is not the same as a 740. It's sort of a blend between a 740, a 535 sedan, an X5 and a 5 series wagon (estate/touring). The GT is a unique vehicle here in the states and I get lots of interesting looks and comments on it. Most people seem to like its looks but some think it's kind of strange looking. Here in America it has replaced the wagon, which is not available except in 3 series form, so if you want a vehicle that drives great but offers significant cargo room while not being an SUV there isn't another choice from BMW. You could argue the X6 meets those criteria but really it is a bulked up and chopped off X5 in the rear that offers terrible gas mileage, limited cargo space and difficult entry and egress. But the X6 is a great looking car with excellent road manners and a commanding view of the road.

So, the 5 GT is a great car that fills many niches and really occupies a class all its own. It is comparable to the 740 in length, to the X5 in height and seating position, the wagon in cargo capability and the 5 sedan in driving manners. I got my very heavily equipped 5 GT used (8000 miles CPO) but it does not have the sport package. I can't say it drives quite as well as the 5 sedan but bet a GT with the sports package would, as my wife's 740 with the M sports package drives as well as a 535i sedan with sport package and a little better than my GT without the sport package does.

All in all, I am very happy with the amazing versatility and gas mileage of the GT. I love the amenities, quality, power and driving position. I agree with others: the rear camera package is a requirement. I also have the lane departure warning and blind spot monitor, which in a vehicle this big is great. And I love the heads-up display, which I have never had before but my wife has had in her last three BMWs. My kids love the rear seat TVs, which do not require wireless headphones and do not play over the car audio unless I want it to... and the adjustable chassis settings (normal, sport, sport plus) really alters the driving characteristics to match the road surface I am on.

Good luck...you will enjoy this car
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #15
spark9
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Gran Turismo 530d

Oinick, very nice thoughts and observations!

I am curious; do you have Adaptive Drive (within Dynamic Driving Control) in your wife's 740i or maybe in your 535i GT? (You have not mentioned Comfort chassis setting in your GT(?) and I assume your GT does not have it.) Is it possible that Adaptive Drive might be the reason for the difference of ride quality between both cars? (In my 530d GT I can feel very noticeable difference in ride on the highway at high speeds when chassis (AD) is set on Comfort: the car glides smooth like a heavy road cruiser.)

Regarding shifting: in my 530d GT I do not experience a lot shifting at low speeds. In contrary, 8 speed transmission is nearly unmistakably accurate and even forgives all my mistakes at manual shifting (for instance when I kick down in order to brake and then turn on automatic shifting and immediately step on to accelerate).

Cheers, Spark
Appreciate 0