2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Ready to order. must have options?

04-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #23
DDarkEnergy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 Auto 2013

In priority order in my humble opinion the must have are:

1 - Lights, LED or Xenons.
2 - Auto gearbox
3 - HUD. A fantastic safety device, you have all the relevant information in front of you. No need to take your eyes away from the road.
4 - Reversing camera. When reversing at night particularly into tight spots it is indeed a must. Parking sensors are useless in these situations.

Other important accesories are:

Seats. I have the confi ones
Folding mirrors.
Sunroof. Grandchildren love it.
Lane departure
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon4499 View Post
I also have no idea what you need a reversing camera for when the parking sensors tell you all you need to know, however each to theIr own when it comes to options I suppose.
Have you used the feature?

Its more than a simple Vid of the scene behind you, has guiderails superimposed and colour-coded graphics indicating which sensor has fired up .... and highlights small things that the sensors dont - like lazy bloody cats !
Cats deserve to die if they don't move
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #25
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Oyster leather
Auto
Pro media
MSport
MFD
Folding Mirrors
Ambient lighting for door handles etc
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #26
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Oyster leather
Auto
Pro media
MSport
MFD
Folding Mirrors
Ambient lighting for door handles etc
Agree with most of that

I don't have pro media, but I've found Business Media to be great. The screen has a nice resolution, nav is clear and and it does everything you'd want from a nav system.

I'd swap out MFD for Business Advanced audio or Harmon Kardon, the standard sound system on these cars isn't brilliant but the upgraded systems are both very nice to listen to.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #27
Deano_uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 5 Series Touring

So its looks like the following will be my choice
Oyster leather
Auto
Pro media
Luxury
MFD
Reversing Camera
And maybe sports seats

Only issue now is I spotted a space grey F10 on the way home and now I'm torn between Sophisto and space....

Also booked a 72 hour demo so I can have a play before I place my order.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Dean
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #28
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano_uk View Post
So its looks like the following will be my choice
Oyster leather
Auto
Pro media
Luxury
MFD
Reversing Camera
And maybe sports seats

Only issue now is I spotted a space grey F10 on the way home and now I'm torn between Sophisto and space....

Also booked a 72 hour demo so I can have a play before I place my order.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Dean
72 Hours! That's mighty generous of your dealer

Just my opinion but Sports Seats are a must imo. The standard seats are definitely a grade below in material quality and aesthetically make the cabin look much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #29
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

I have an F11 520d luxury LCI.

Options I love:
Pro media
Bluetooth office
Auto box

Options I really wish I had chosen:
A more powerful engine.
Sunroof.
Hi Fi upgrade.

Options I never use:
Gearbox paddles
Extended luggage pack.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #30
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

For me of the options I have, it's pro media combined with HUD, MFD and speed limit display. Also love the LED lights on country lanes and find the surround view really useful when backing into a parking space to check you are square on. Don't really use park assist or the flappy paddles.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #31
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Space Grey FTW
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #32
bd250
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport+, Sophistico

My 520d is sophistico, oyster and fineline anthracite. Combined with the auto and pro media the cabin is a wonderful place to spend time.
The 8AT is the option I would have above all others. After that pro media and heated seats.
My car was a stock car, but in the colour/trim I wanted, so it has folding seats that I would not necessarily have paid for, but have been really useful.
If I had my time over again I would defiantly have memory seats. There is an enormous amount of adjustment in the seats and driving position, so if you do have a plus one who drives your car it's worth considering. Just to be aware the standard and sports seats don't have adjustable lumbar support as standard. My back isn't the best, but I don't feel the sports seats lack lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #33
Deano_uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 5 Series Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd250 View Post
My 520d is sophistico, oyster and fineline anthracite. Combined with the auto and pro media the cabin is a wonderful place to spend time.
The 8AT is the option I would have above all others. After that pro media and heated seats.
My car was a stock car, but in the colour/trim I wanted, so it has folding seats that I would not necessarily have paid for, but have been really useful.
If I had my time over again I would defiantly have memory seats. There is an enormous amount of adjustment in the seats and driving position, so if you do have a plus one who drives your car it's worth considering. Just to be aware the standard and sports seats don't have adjustable lumbar support as standard. My back isn't the best, but I don't feel the sports seats lack lumbar support.
Thanks for that, do you have any photos you could share of your car?
The Configurator on the BMW site isn't great and Id love to see some real pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #34
bd250
Private
Rep

Absolutely.

http://flic.kr/p/nAMLqg
http://flic.kr/p/njia4u
http://flic.kr/p/nCySex
http://flic.kr/p/njidvi

I think sophistico is a great colour and works really well with oyster. I know some find the idea of "beige leather and wood trim" very ye olde world Jag, but I think it looks modern and so much brighter than the coal-mine carbon black.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Sophisto Grey & Oyster [This was my 2013 F10]
Callisto Grey & Oyster [My current 2014 F10]

Sophisto Grey is a great colour (slowly becoming common); Callisto Grey is more rare at the moment.

Oyster inside is a no brainer; it does look beautiful; or if you can extend your budget; go for the Exclusive Mocha/brown interior.

Other things...
- 8 speed Auto [must have]
- A bigger Engine
- Comfort seats (or at least sports seats)
- Active Cruise
- Folding Mirrors [ that this is not standard]
- Reverse Camera (preferably with surround view). The F10 is a huge car and rear visibility is not brilliant unless you are very tall.
- HUD
- MFID
- Safety systems (Lane Departure, Blind Spot, Auto Parking, etc..)
- Comfort Access
- Motorised Boot
- Adaptive LEDs
- others...
      05-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #36
bd250
Private
Rep

I think I would agree with "bigger engine" or at least a 525d. It's not that the 520 is underpowered, it just gets a bit out of puff at motorway speeds when you want to overtake quickly. As I said mine came from stock with a huge discount, the 525d would have been about 8k more, unless I took a white ex-demo which I wasn't keen on.
I've made enquiries about the M Performance Kit. I've been quoted 1900 quid, so that's an alternative option.

If I was ordering from the factory I would have
Sophistico & Oyster
Pro Nav (enhanced Bluetooth is now standard again)
M sport plus package (wheels, spoiler and privacy glass look great, HK sounds fab)
Heated Seats (can't believe they are not standard)
Lumbar Support (as above)
Memory seats (just for convenience)
Comfort Access (because there is nowhere sensible to put the key)
Folding seats (added practicality)
Folding/auto dimming mirrors (it's a wide car)

For me that's a good balance between toys and outlay, YMMV of course.

HUD, active cruise, etc are just not worth it for me. Although the F10 is big I find PDC more than adequate, so I wouldn't bother with the cameras. I suspect BMW will do another pack/ edition at some point towards the end of the F10s life with active cruise, cameras etc but at current prices no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #37
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

enhanced bluetooth is standard now!!! Arrgg!!!
Space Grey FTW still
Oyster, of my so beautiful, so glad I took the plunge!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #38
GMTRB5
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

Enhanced bluetooth isn't showing as standard currently? I'm just finalising the final spec for my order with the dealer and enhanced bluetooth is still a cost option of circa £350?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #39
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

Pretty sure that heated seats ARE standard. At least they were when I purchased a new F11 in February.
      05-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #40
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Heated seats are standard (on the front) in F10
Enhanced Bluetooth can be software coded if you have Pro Media
      05-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #41
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Enhanced Bluetooth can be software coded if you have Pro Media
Ah yes, that is not the same as free from BMW though. Someone mentioned earlier it is now standard, thought it was odd they had changed it, after it was free in the E60!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #42
GMTRB5
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

It isn't standard currently .. still a cost option
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #43
bd250
Private
Rep

Ooops, I'm confusing my 3 and 5 series spec. On the 3 business and pro nav ow includes EBT by default, it also has RTTI and uses the same computer, just the smaller screen. Doesn't seem that's made it to the 5 yet.
Frankly calling Pro Nav a "media package" is pushing it unless EBT is part of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #44
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd250 View Post
Ooops, I'm confusing my 3 and 5 series spec. On the 3 business and pro nav ow includes EBT by default, it also has RTTI and uses the same computer, just the smaller screen. Doesn't seem that's made it to the 5 yet.
Frankly calling Pro Nav a "media package" is pushing it unless EBT is part of the pack.
The 5 series does have Bluetooth as standard, this gets you the standard connectivity (the same as what other manufacturers do).

Enhanced BT gives you 2 phones, Voice Control, streaming, etc... I think BMW is entitled to milk this option (at least for this year) - as the Enhanced Options are not really a standard on other manufacturer cars either.

My real gripe with BMW charging for silly stuff is 'Folding Electric Mirrors' - spend £60k on a car and you still have to cough up the additional £250 or something for electric folding mirrors