2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW and Toyota to Develop New Sports Car Jointly

06-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Wait what if BMW uses the engine from the LFA to power the M1 successor???
OMG
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #46
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Attachment 714109BMW and Toyota have announced plans to jointly develop a new sports car and other technologies. The two companies have announced today the signing of a memorandum of understanding at BMW's HQ in Munich.

The companies plan to expand their already existing cooperation initiated in December of last year, which will now include joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.

Toyota's recent success on collaborating with Subaru to develop the highly acclaimed Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ gives us hope of an exciting sports car from BMW and Toyota.

Below is the full press release announcing this news:

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

BMW Group and Toyota Motor Corporation agree to further strengthen collaboration

Tokyo/Munich.
Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), met today with Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at BMW Group headquarters in Munich to announce the planned expansion of their existing cooperation initiated in December last year. The two companies signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at long-term strategic collaboration in four fields: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.

Also today, Norbert Reithofer and Akio Toyoda of TMC both signed a Joint Statement to reconfirm their companies’ shared intention to strengthen the long-term, strategic collaboration between them.

Reithofer said: “We aim to further strengthen our competitive position in sustainable future technologies. We signed an MoU to this effect today. Toyota and the BMW Group share the same strategic vision of sustainable individual future mobility. Together we have a great opportunity to continue leading our industry through this transformation.”

Toyoda added: “BMW and Toyota both want to make ever-better cars. We respect each other. And I think this is shown by our taking the next step only six months since the signing of our initial agreement. Toyota is strong in environment-friendly hybrids and fuel cells. On the other hand, I believe BMW’s strength is in developing sports cars. I am excited to think of the cars that will result from this relationship.”

In March 2012, the BMW Group and TMC signed a binding agreement on collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion battery cells. In addition, the BMW Group and Toyota Motor Europe entered into a contract under which the BMW Group will supply highly-efficient 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota Motor Europe, starting in 2014.

Today’s MoU represents the companies’ agreement in December last year to identify and discuss other possible collaborative projects.
Wow!
      06-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #47
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
This is crazy!!! Want to see what happens!!!
      06-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Good news maybe TMC can supply BMW with much needed Water Pumps & Fuel Pumps. Then they can change their jingle to... The ultimate reliable driving machine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Toyota can bring hybrid electric technology to the table. The vehicles do not have to be identical. Look how the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne share a platform but are very different in price, performance and features.
      06-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #50
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Lightweight technologies, hugh? Hmmmm....carbon fiber is lightweight. It still strikes me as odd that carbon, the most abundant non-gaseous element on Earth is still more costly than other things, yet is is stronger as well being lighter in weight. And why stuff is still made from derivatives of iron and aluminum is a mystery to me.
Its not that simple...have you ever seen how CF is made? Its a PITA process and if you get it wrong, there goes your whole batch. I had the same train of thought until I saw the videos on the mfg of CF. Really interesting stuff.
      06-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #51
nate82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like John Force

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I'm intrigued. I think this will be an interesting venture.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #52
55 cent
Canada
Rep
Drives: SOLD 2007 X5, SOLD 2004 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Everyone mentions "Toyota reliability" but fails to realize the communications systems in a Camry are completely different than anything found in a BMW. BMWs use fiber optic bus systems, which are faster, but also more expensive and less reliable. BMW has no issues with engine reliability, it is their electronics. Seeing as how Toyota doesn't have anywhere near the advanced electronics that BMW does, I doubt they will be able to improve reliability...
Have you owned a BMW?
      06-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #53
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Yikes. Looks like the value on my 1M just dropped precipitously. Oh well. Curious to see what happens, though I am not a fan of this.
      06-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #54
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

it's a win-win, but fuel-cell, hybrid stuff doesn't really excite me.... which is what I think it would be
      06-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #55
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is so sad to see what people drive BMW today, mostly badgewhores. Now it is Toyota that is leading in the sports segment. The GT86 is a lightweight sports car like BMW has never built since the M3 E30, and the Lexus LFA is the only car worthy to be compared to the McLaren F1, and far better than the M1 E26. BMW M has betrayed its heritage by going FI, but Toyota has just brought out the new GT86 with a NA engine and no BMW M engine is as "M" as the V10 of the LFA.

Think that BMW/Toyota sportscars would be like :
- more powerful GT86
- more affordable LFA
- more true sportscars from BMW (one M3 is not enough)

Hybrid really is the near futur technology. Just look at the 918 Spyder. i8 is not a true sportscar. Also hybrid tech permits sportscars to keep their high revving naturally aspirated engines, instead of going forced induction and losing character and emotion like the McLaren MP4-12C or M5/M6 F1X. Just think of some FMR sportscar with the NA V10 and electric engines at the rear axle ? No more "lacking" torque, right weight distribution better fuel economy.

Last edited by BMW269; 06-29-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #56
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Maybe Toyota can design their fuel pumps! : )
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #57
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
If you are referring to the recent TS030 LMP1 Hybrid, they both were crashed out and retired. One of the crashes wasn't even the fault of the driver. It was right up the Audi's butt until the accidents happened. Sure the other car had mechanical issues, but it's been 13 years since toyota was in a 24 hr race. You need to give Toyota more credit, they know how to build race cars and great engines. But just like Honda, they choose not to and would rather build econo boxes. I'm looking forward to seeing Toyota unleash their motorsports side on this project.
Not doubting or being argumentive but toyota wouldn't have lasted long anyways, having mechanical failures that early in the race means they're pushing that engine to the edge.

Audi put it very well in their documentary. The cars have to be engineered to last 24 hours and not 23 hours or 22. Using starting grid lap times don't equate to good results overall.

You can call me a Toyota Hater if you guys want, our family owns a Toyota noah and I think its a piece of rubbish. Handles like a boat and only gets 400 to a tank.. Drove the ES for a bit, apart from the sound insulation it feels just like a camry. Nothing spectacular.

I will give credit where credits due and thats their FIFO system, management and its marketing team. ESPECIALLY their marketing team.

I'll give them credit when they make the next supra.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #58
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Toyota Supras with TT I6 are easily making 500 PS, N54 only have HPFPF.

Toyota can build good cars just as BMW can. Having a collaboration for hybrid and carbon fiber, which is the future, between the largest car manufacturers can only be a better thing to fight against the VAG Empire. Now Alfa Romeo is at the point of being sold to VAG.

Again about Toyota, they can build engines, for those that don't know it, just like BMW M is the tuner of BMW engines, Yamaha is the tuner of Toyota engines, as a part of Yamaha belongs to Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #59
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs4444 View Post
Toyota and BMW are two of the most forward thinking, and agile companies in the auto industry. They both adapt to change and are proactive to future trends. Which allows both companies to lead the industry in their respective markets. Toyota has had hybrids on the market long before most manufactures, and currently lead the industry in sales of hybrid vehicles. BMW is years ahead of the other premium auto makers in bringing sustainable hybrid, and electric vehicles to the market, in a completely new way. With the clean sheet design of the I-brand that focuses on sustainability all the way through the production process, and value chain. Along with BMWs industry leading production processes for mass producing carbon fiber in a cost effective way out of their own plant they have in a joint venture with SQL . This will give them a competitive edge over the competition in terms of pricing, and accessibility to the material. This partnership will create a juggernaut for future EV/hybrid technology development, and manufacturing that should have the rest of the auto industry very worried.
I'm hoping this is what comes out of the partnership. This would be and is a great thing.
      06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #60
motortrend
Goldmember
Rep
Drives: EM Siree

I hope this goes right, two of my favorite brands together
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #61
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The idea of a join Toyota/BMW car makes me furious. I was the owner of a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder which went through a total of 5 short blocks, 3 sets of cats, one entire long block replacement and number of other headaches. Toyota treated me like a crap customer through the entire experience. This was a common experience for hundreds of MR2 owners. At the same time, Celica owners were dealing with transmissions which were blowing up left and right. Toyota can bite me, and I'll happily take any opportunity I have to prevent them a sale.

Toyota "quality" is a fallacy for anything other than for-the-masses family sedans.

I understand the need for sharing of technology and intellectual property when it comes to batteries, electric drivetrains, and lightweight materials as there is a lot of innovation in these areas and universal access to innovations here will benefit customers. When it comes to a join car or platform however, huge pass from me.

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #62
AdroJS83
Rep
Drives: 330i and 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Floor mats

Who's making the floor mats? Hope it isn't Toyota for their own sake.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #63
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackE90 View Post
Both companies will no doubt benefit from this exchange, win-win. Anyone who thinks Toyota has nothing to offer BMW is fooling themselves
Unfortunately,
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #64
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

Toyota needs to come out with the next generation Supra already..... It's been over 10 years already.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #65
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

So can we expect low-maintenance BMWs and ultimate driving Toyotas?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #66
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

This is all to save some $$$...BMW Group and Toyota Motor Company are two of the most profitable automotive brands in the world so to move forward with all their "green tech" they found a way to save even more costs. This is only a joint partnership of technologies. The same way BMW jointly developed the Tritec engine with Chrysler and the Prince engine with PSA Peugeot/Citroen. It's all about saving some dough but what caught me off guard is the BMW/Toyota sports car. I just can't see a BMW FT86 but who says it's going to be branded a BMW. It may be an i brand vehicle or a Mini and its Japanese counterpart may be the Toyota version. BMW wouldn't make a BMW/Lexus sports car ...they're smarter than that even though only Americans and Canadians would buy it since no one else in world seems to take Lexus serious.
Appreciate 0