2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Dent Removal Help

04-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Dent Removal Help

So I have a happy family day out in Newquay but get back to where were staying to find a Ford Kooga shaped door din in my rear offside, about half-way up and just after the door shut.

I've tried to capture it in the attached pics, they're not great as I'm parked in an underground car-park - they actually make the dent look less bad than I think it really is.

So, is this a body-shop job or a mobile dent removal job, and if it's a mobile job are there any recommendations? I'm based normally in the North West (Manchester/Rochdale area)

Any ideas as to cost?

Over the past year each of the panels on the offside has picked up a ding but after initially spotting them they've kind of become invisible unless I really look, but this one sticks out like a sore thumb so I want it fixing. Might look into getting the others done at the same time.

Wouldn't mind but I'm anal about where I park, yet all the dings have been picked up when I had no alternative but to place faith in fellow drivers and they've all let me down.

04-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

I feel your pain, as I'm anal about parking as well, and could not tolerate seeing dents in the car. Although often I find if you park on your own away from the majority of cars in the supermarket car park, you attract other cars that park around you anyway for some odd reason.

The mobile repairers can do some surprisingly good repairs. A colleague had something similar repaired recently in the office car park and we were all sceptical that it could be repaired without a trip to a bodyshop, but it was fine. It took several hours but the end result was an invisible repair, much to our surprise given the location and metallic paint.

As to recommendations, what I would do is the same as I have done with wheel repair. Go to the main dealer and find out who they use when preparing cars for sale. If they have a guy they use all the time, you can be fairly confident he's good. No guarantees he'll be cheap, but he should be good. I always favour good over cheap myself
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Annoyingly the local dealer's body repair guy only works weekdays so the first thing I'll have to do after driving 360 miles home on Friday is go there.

I've also asked for an online quote from a local dent repair guy, sent the pics over so see what he says.

Really annoyed as when I parked up I was already concerned about being next to a 2-door Saab and hoped I wouldn't pick up a ding thanks to the longer doors it had. Checked where it would have hit when I got back and nothing so drove away happily, never thinking to check that the Ford Kooga that took the Saab's place wouldn't be as considerate.
      04-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'd be interested in this as well.
Someone has dinged my car asa welll just in front of the rear wheel arch. Not big but I know its there. Not sure how it can be pulled out.
I may be incorrect here but if it comes to teg doors, as they are aluminuim, I believe they are harder to work on?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The dent guy I contacted has asked for better pics - he says there's no rear access in that area so it'll be glue pull which makes me a little nervous as the paint should be perfect but thanks to Kooga guy there's some surface scuffing. Don't fancy pulling the paint off.

Anyway, I've sent him this pic; the damage looks a lot worse than the first pics. I'm kinda getting the feeling even with pulling it won't be perfect anyway.

04-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well the dentmaster guy has been today, and as expected it's not perfect but it's a huge amount better than it was. The sharp point of the door that hit my wing still exists, but the cone shape of the area around it is now flat so it's not in your face.

The only way to improve it further would be to either drill through behind to get to the back of it (don't fancy the idea of that) or fill & paint but it would involve some blending onto the rear door which I also don't fancy so it'll have to stay as it is.

And at the same time he removed a couple of minor dings from both the offside front and rear doors.

Overall pretty happy for £60