2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 535i 6 Speed Manual Harder to re-sell later?

10-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
DRKNEVL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M Sport, 2015 X5 35i

535i 6 Speed Manual Harder to re-sell later?

I am currently shopping for a F10 5 series and I have one that I like. The right year, options, miles, and price. It even has a 6 speed which I thought I would never find! I have never owned an automatic transmission in my life and I don't really want to start now. However, all of my cars so far have been sports cars. With the 5 series even in M Sport trim I feel it is more of a luxury mid-size. I was wondering everyone's thoughts on if a 6 speed manual will make this car harder to sell down the road? I know everyone on the forums are enthusiasts so we may be more inclined to think no however I would say 90% of 5 series owners probably don't even know what a car forum is.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKNEVL View Post
I am currently shopping for a F10 5 series and I have one that I like. The right year, options, miles, and price. It even has a 6 speed which I thought I would never find! I have never owned an automatic transmission in my life and I don't really want to start now. However, all of my cars so far have been sports cars. With the 5 series even in M Sport trim I feel it is more of a luxury mid-size. I was wondering everyone's thoughts on if a 6 speed manual will make this car harder to sell down the road? I know everyone on the forums are enthusiasts so we may be more inclined to think no however I would say 90% of 5 series owners probably don't even know what a car forum is.
I say buy it! I was in the market for a while to buy a 6 speed with msport and an Lci too... 2014 was the last 6 speed that was made... who knows later down the road might be something ppl would want since most auto companies are getting rid of manual cars...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKNEVL View Post
IMHO as more people embrace autonomous "cars" a manual will be harder to sell as operators get less and less involved with actually DRIVING! And as traffic gets worse more people will shy away from manuals. I wanted a manual until I started driving in slow-and-slower traffic and realized I didn't want a left calf larger than my right.

That said... buy it and enjoy the heck out of it!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
mswscco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

While it will be more difficult to sell in the future, hard to find cars retain their value better. So if you're the type who doesn't sell a car in order to buy the next one, it's only a matter of time. If it sits in your garage and on Autotrader for a year, that's 1 year fewer miles it will have compared to others.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Is this it??? I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!!!!!! That car is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

Stick shift is kryptonite to these youngster millennials. The best Anti-Theft device you can have because these idiots dunno how to drive stick anymore.
It can make it hold value or just not matter, These F10s are amazing but havent held well. I dont see a trans option make a difference on a 28 or 35, maybe on a M5 if that was even a option. GoodLuck
      10-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
DRKNEVL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M Sport, 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Is this it??? I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!!!!!! That car is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
YUP! It's like you read my mind! The individual color makes me a bit worried about re-sale one day as well... but MAN is she beautiful to me. (Minus the chrome wheels) Coupled with all those options I couldn't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

95% of potential buyers wouldn't cross a parking lot to look at a car with a manual.

5% of us would cross the country to buy it, sight unseen! And that spec is awesome. Proceed with confidence!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
BDJL
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i 6MT, 2017 X1 M Sport

I drove the 535i in both manual and auto and zero question the manual is the way to go as you need to keep the auto in sport + to make it go at all. I personally wanted a 550i and while a friend had a auto and I'd test drove a few others, the manual was very rare. Eventually I found one that met my criteria and flew to pick it up the next day. The stick in the 550i is actually slower surprisingly as I had hoped it would feel more aggressive that the auto the way the 535 was. Still, I am a manual guy so I'm happy with it. I think these days with so many driving in traffic and the vast improvements in autos along with the fact that many can't even drive a stick so it's just a rare thing sadly.

You're going to undoubtedly have a MUCH smaller resale market but, those buyers who want a stick will really value it. For me, the car is not a daily and I wouldn't have one at all if it didn't have a 3rd pedal.
Appreciate 0