2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Jb4 installed this weekend, wiring questions

04-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Johnsaidgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Jb4 installed this weekend, wiring questions

I installed my jb4 this weekend and was unable to route the wire in a clean way like the install shows due to the wire lengths being so short. Instead I had to run the wires inbetween the rubber and plastic cover opening. What did I do wrong? Also I have a manual transmission so I didn't really install obd II. Any advice on installing this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

It's definitely a very tight fit. You have to get creative with how you route the wires to make the distance as short as possible. Here are links to the only pics I currently have of it installed, hope they help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...kFLczYxbHI0cXM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...3M4SjJ0bG05Wk0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...UM1V1MxbVpDazA
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Johnsaidgo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLLsLow View Post
It's definitely a very tight fit. You have to get creative with how you route the wires to make the distance as short as possible. Here are links to the only pics I currently have of it installed, hope they help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...kFLczYxbHI0cXM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...3M4SjJ0bG05Wk0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...UM1V1MxbVpDazA
Thank you for the reply. I think I should of rand my wires underneath the intake. Instead I ran them closer to the windshield. I'll have to unplug and redo everything. Thank you for the info!! How about the obd II plug, I'm assuming you have an auto trans so you didn't run into the same problem as me of having no grommet to run the wire through.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsaidgo View Post
Thank you for the reply. I think I should of rand my wires underneath the intake. Instead I ran them closer to the windshield. I'll have to unplug and redo everything. Thank you for the info!! How about the obd II plug, I'm assuming you have an auto trans so you didn't run into the same problem as me of having no grommet to run the wire through.
Yup auto here and ran the obd II cable through the grommet per the instructions, no issue there. Not sure what the manual guys do for this, hopefully it's something simpler than the old school method of running it through a opening behind the glove box the N54 guys had to do. Maybe post up on N54tech, likely to get a quicker reply from someone at BMS.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

OP, how does it drive in your opinion?
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
eaglecomm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT & 2015 M6 GC CP

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Let me know if you still need help with this or pics. I just did mine this weekend. I ran the wires under the intake since I had pulled a lot of that off to replace spark plugs. I ran the OBDII wire through the firewall in the area in front of the driver. I think the hole in the firewall is for the hood latch and has a rubber grommet. I pushed the rubber grommet in towards the interior cabin a bit and ran the wire beside. I then taped (black duct tape) around the wiring where it runs thhrough the firewall to protect it from chafing on the metals since I couldn't fit it through the rubber grommet.

Again, let me know if you need pictures.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
Johnsaidgo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecomm View Post
Let me know if you still need help with this or pics. I just did mine this weekend. I ran the wires under the intake since I had pulled a lot of that off to replace spark plugs. I ran the OBDII wire through the firewall in the area in front of the driver. I think the hole in the firewall is for the hood latch and has a rubber grommet. I pushed the rubber grommet in towards the interior cabin a bit and ran the wire beside. I then taped (black duct tape) around the wiring where it runs thhrough the firewall to protect it from chafing on the metals since I couldn't fit it through the rubber grommet.

Again, let me know if you need pictures.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've removed the tune since I've gotten a misfire. Don't know if I'll be putting the tune back in any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

I asked the same question this weekend regarding the OBDII connection. Very prompt and helpful response!

"The OBD cable would be recommended regardless of whether you're using the Bluetooth kit, they do not provide the same functions. Not connecting the OBD cable limits the JB4 to map 1 performance regardless of the performance map selected, and datalogging will be limited to boost information. In addition, some features will not work at all like the in-dash boost gauge, code reading and clearing via the JB4 app or interface software, and other CAN-related features.

Best,

Jon
BMS"
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
eaglecomm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT & 2015 M6 GC CP

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsaidgo View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I've removed the tune since I've gotten a misfire. Don't know if I'll be putting the tune back in any time soon.
Understood.. here if you need it in the future. Good luck!
Appreciate 0