2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Why didn't you buy an A7?

09-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #45
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ apparently not that many people do because i've seen maybe 2 A7's on the road since they came out. Much more A6's and F10's driving around. I guess this is a good thing if you want to be unique but heck the pontiac aztek fits the bill too lol.

Alan
      09-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #46
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you option up a 550xi to the option level of a S7, you are looking at about $80K, about the same as the S7.
Exterior design is subjective, you might not like it but a lot of people do. The fact is that the A7 have won a few design award, thats more than I can say for the F10.
you are incorrect. lets agree to disagree.
      09-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #47
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
^^ apparently not that many people do because i've seen maybe 2 A7's on the road since they came out. Much more A6's and F10's driving around. I guess this is a good thing if you want to be unique but heck the pontiac aztek fits the bill too lol.

Alan
Its very hard to justify buying a A7 over the A6, since they are basically the same car with difference exterior designs. The same reason why you dont see too many 535 GT around, another reason is that the 535 GT is butt ugly
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #48
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Its very hard to justify buying a A7 over the A6, since they are basically the same car with difference exterior designs. The same reason why you dont see too many 535 GT around, another reason is that the 535 GT is butt ugly
5GT has better interior than f10,more spacious rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #49
clarkk41
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

I almost convinced myself to get a fully loaded Pretige A6 due to the deal I could get. Having owned a BMW before I wanted another but wash't finding the deal I wanted. The tech inside an Audi is impressive but at the end of the day a BMW is a BMW. From the status to the performance you just can't compare the two IMO. Plus I think when you turn a BMW into what we turn it into Audis just don"t look as mean.
I called my BMW guy back for one last try and got a smoking deal on one of the remaining 2012 550's they were moving out for 2013's. I got a monster deal and the ride I really wanted.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #50
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkk41 View Post
I almost convinced myself to get a fully loaded Pretige A6 due to the deal I could get. Having owned a BMW before I wanted another but wash't finding the deal I wanted. The tech inside an Audi is impressive but at the end of the day a BMW is a BMW. From the status to the performance you just can't compare the two IMO. Plus I think when you turn a BMW into what we turn it into Audis just don"t look as mean.
I called my BMW guy back for one last try and got a smoking deal on one of the remaining 2012 550's they were moving out for 2013's. I got a monster deal and the ride I really wanted.
Great job! I'll chime in more in a few on A7 vs BMW F10 impressions.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #51
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Okay gents..as a previous owner of a 2012 A7 prestige plus car I can weigh in a bit as I've actually owned the car and driven it for oh 16+ months. A little history is in order here..

Traded my 2008 BMW M3 coupe for a 2012 Audi A7 back when it 1st came out in May 2011! Was part of a deal between the dealer for a 2011 A4 2.0T for my wife AND they had an A7 3.0T sitting there so I asked/they gave it to me for around $3500 under MSRP (I guess that's cause I was buying an A4 for the wife at the same time!) and so within 5 days I had sold my M3 coupe for the A7 and traded my wife's 2009 Cayenne S for her 2011 A4 2.0T I've also had an e46 M3, a e85 Z4M, and two e53 X5's as well as an e71 X6 so I know BMW's as well as German autos a little but this was my 1st Audi.

So the A7?? Well between the A7 and the BMW 5 series I'd have to say there IS a difference which you CAN feel and notice after time if you've spent enough time with and are familiar with both and the brand. The Audi was straight luxury and calm on the roads. It was quick and got me where I wanted to comfortably and the Quattro was a plus. However there was not alot of driver involvement. Was it quick..yes...fleet of foot...yes especially one day when someone pulled out ahead of me on the freeway as I approached them at around 70mph from a slow moving traffic lane. The avoidance maneuver I learned and practiced at the M School and Performance Driving Center at Spartanburg w/BMW definitely made the difference between alot of crushed metal and serious injury maybe and me steering around the new obstacle in front of me. However I must also add that any modern car/sports sedan and properly trained driver should be able to do such a maneuver and in fact all drivers should take such courses/instruction to learn to do so. Back to the cars...the Audi interiors is VERY good and aesthetically its almost like driving a piece of art. Its MMI is very good and non-intrusive and works well. So technologically it is hard to beat however that same tech I found distancing me from the car…yes it has Hi-res Google MAPS [great at 1st but then I hardly used it and oh yeah Audi Connect costs $35/mo]; in-car Wi-Fi hot spot via your car’s cell [amazing but hell I was always driving and my iPad has 3G so the kids and wife benefited most from it..but NOT my cell usage/plan since it piggy backs of your cellphone connected unless you pay the Audi-Connect fees]. Audi Quattro…YES it did save my azz on the drive from TX to WA this summer when while up in the Colorado mountains near Teluride and Vail at night in a rainstorm for oh 2-3 hrs at about 8,000+ft; I couldn't see crap even with Audi's great daytime running lights but knew that even though I was running a speed 65mph..the AWD was ROCK solid. However the inability to not break the car free at times also hampered its sportiness and toss ability. I call it the hooligan factor which you can definitely do in the 550i and M5 especially! Interior the flip screen did not bother me as much although mine did jam about 5 times while I had the car and each time I had to stop the car and give it 2-3 restarts and a few minutes to get it back up and operating normally. Hatch and cargo? great! Can't ask for more and miss it some. Body lines? A7 looks sweet and sleek from the sides/rear but the front grille you just get used to! LOL The v6 in the A7 was quick…and peppy and had passing potential and could cruise with the best. I recall driving between Texas and OK TDY and easily and comfortably cruising around 70-80mph and the engine didn't break a sweat and gas mileage was almost 28-30mpg! However exhaust note was so quite with the stock system I forgot the thing was on at times. This is a SPORTSBACK according to Audi...so I put a $2k Stasis full exhaust on the car and it did liven it up and make it sound the part …but sort of cause IMHO it really needs a v8 to complete the package...and I found myself wishing for the sound and power/torque of a nice V8 at times. 7 Speed (I think) gearbox was smooth but am sure DSG (see S7) would have been much better. Seats? Worse I've ever had for any sporty driving...great for the wife and kids to take a trip to Starbucks or the mall...I found myself looking for a way to get the new S7 seats added to my car! Also the 4 passanger back does compromise your hauling capacity [we found this out when mother in law came to visit and there are me/wife/2 kids and ops..Mom you can't come with us...nope two cars later..yes you can!] so it can be inconvienent at times. Cost wise? A7 is cheaper unless you go Prestige edition but for all I found it lacking overall performance/seating/driveability...I'd be at S7 $$$ if I went Audi again.

Which brings me to BMW...by 16 months with the car...I see the reviews of the new M5 starting to hit the shelves and internet and I am smitten. I plan on how to pickup one in 2013 or 2014 maybe! Then I happen upon my local BMW dealership about 2.5 weeks ago and they have two 2013 M5s! Both are sold unfortunately and finding one at a reasonable price and optioned as I would like proves harder to find than water on Mars! But they have a handful of BMW 550i's and 550iX's and Grand Coupes and they are offering hell of a deal on them all! I drove all 3 plus and X6M and in the end I came home with a 2012 BMW 550i about a week later! Compared to the Audi A7? I like the BMW much better...its just more richer inside even if it isn't a rolling art gallery asthetically that the Audi was and which many reviewers comment on. I agree its beautiful but driving it just doesn't involve me as the BMW does/can. Yes I never hardly saw another A7 on the road and have NEVER seen an S7 but then again I don't see that many 550i's and only have seen 2 M5's and even with the e60 M5 I never ran across them on the daily...and remember I was a regular in my local M3 community back in DC/VA previously from 2008-2010 when I had it. So overall I just found the BMW more involved as a car/driver...when you decide to go that route that is…houliganism [there is that word once again I use] is present and available especially in the M5, 550i and 535i models. If I had the M5 i'd probably use that term much more often. My 550i has the V8 and HP/torque (400hp/450 torque) that the A7 kinda needs but is lacking [no ECU tune avail even after 15+ mos...Stasis was close..I was on the waiting list). Car just felt like a very luxurious Camry or Lexus. My 550i with a few upgrades (DINAN S2) and exhaust (Eissenmann/Meisterchaft/etc) will be more M5-like but with everyday drive-ability as a daily driver too and not cost the shocking >$100k price tag. The multi-fxn BMW seats are about 100% better than the Audi BTW and other than my wife's 2011 Panamera its just a more complete and enjoyable driver's car!

But guys that's just my slightly educated opinion...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #52
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Off topic ... how many cars do you change every year.It looks like your 550 is gone too.Between the cayenne , A7, A4, panamera,M3 in the last 2 yrs...you must be a busy man.Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #53
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Off topic ... how many cars do you change every year.It looks like your 550 is gone too.Between the cayenne , A7, A4, panamera,M3 in the last 2 yrs...you must be a busy man.Have fun.
Educated fun.
Although somewhat unsure when choosing something.
Or just easily bored with things.
Good taste for cars.
But burning money like there is lots of it.
Which is a very good thing!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #54
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
No not in 2yrs...but close.
A7 = 2011-2012
E92 m3 = 2007-2010
Those were mine

A4 = 2011-2012
cayenne = 2009-2011
Those were the wife's

She now has the Panamera which she like [and will keep if I have anything to say about it!] and I still have the 550i [only 520 miles on it!].

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel View Post
Educated fun.
Although somewhat unsure when choosing something.
Or just easily bored with things.
Good taste for cars.
But burning money like there is lots of it.
Which is a very good thing!
No I usually or was maintaining about an average of 4-5 at one time in the garage/collection but it quickly becomes expensive over time (insurance, gas, maintenance, cost to buy) and new job much busier left me walking past them more than I was driving them! If $$ was no object I'd keep em all guys! So now I just maintain a 997.2 C4S and my 550i and swap them out along with my motorcycle for my travels! Like it a lot better...less headache more driving time!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #55
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Rear wheel drive, more luxurious interior with more leather coverage, better nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #56
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkk41 View Post
Performance wise, the A6/S6 is better than the 535i/550i. Looks are subjective. Most people find Audi designs attractive and they frequently win design awards. Status perception...depends on where you live. In the U.S., Audi may not be as well known as Mercedes and BMW but in many other markets, including Germany itself, Audi has a better image than BMW and Mercedes.

I don't see why people here need to put down Audi to feel better about their purchase decisions. Both BMW and Audi make excellent cars. Buy whatever appeals to you most.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #57
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13
Okay gents..as a previous owner of a 2012 A7 prestige plus car I can weigh in a bit as I've actually owned the car and driven it for oh 16+ months. A little history is in order here..

Traded my 2008 BMW M3 coupe for a 2012 Audi A7 back when it 1st came out in May 2011! Was part of a deal between the dealer for a 2011 A4 2.0T for my wife AND they had an A7 3.0T sitting there so I asked/they gave it to me for around $3500 under MSRP (I guess that's cause I was buying an A4 for the wife at the same time!) and so within 5 days I had sold my M3 coupe for the A7 and traded my wife's 2009 Cayenne S for her 2011 A4 2.0T I've also had an e46 M3, a e85 Z4M, and two e53 X5's as well as an e71 X6 so I know BMW's as well as German autos a little but this was my 1st Audi.

So the A7?? Well between the A7 and the BMW 5 series I'd have to say there IS a difference which you CAN feel and notice after time if you've spent enough time with and are familiar with both and the brand. The Audi was straight luxury and calm on the roads. It was quick and got me where I wanted to comfortably and the Quattro was a plus. However there was not alot of driver involvement. Was it quick..yes...fleet of foot...yes especially one day when someone pulled out ahead of me on the freeway as I approached them at around 70mph from a slow moving traffic lane. The avoidance maneuver I learned and practiced at the M School and Performance Driving Center at Spartanburg w/BMW definitely made the difference between alot of crushed metal and serious injury maybe and me steering around the new obstacle in front of me. However I must also add that any modern car/sports sedan and properly trained driver should be able to do such a maneuver and in fact all drivers should take such courses/instruction to learn to do so. Back to the cars...the Audi interiors is VERY good and aesthetically its almost like driving a piece of art. Its MMI is very good and non-intrusive and works well. So technologically it is hard to beat however that same tech I found distancing me from the carÂ…yes it has Hi-res Google MAPS [great at 1st but then I hardly used it and oh yeah Audi Connect costs $35/mo]; in-car Wi-Fi hot spot via your carÂ’s cell [amazing but hell I was always driving and my iPad has 3G so the kids and wife benefited most from it..but NOT my cell usage/plan since it piggy backs of your cellphone connected unless you pay the Audi-Connect fees]. Audi QuattroÂ…YES it did save my azz on the drive from TX to WA this summer when while up in the Colorado mountains near Teluride and Vail at night in a rainstorm for oh 2-3 hrs at about 8,000+ft; I couldn't see crap even with Audi's great daytime running lights but knew that even though I was running a speed 65mph..the AWD was ROCK solid. However the inability to not break the car free at times also hampered its sportiness and toss ability. I call it the hooligan factor which you can definitely do in the 550i and M5 especially! Interior the flip screen did not bother me as much although mine did jam about 5 times while I had the car and each time I had to stop the car and give it 2-3 restarts and a few minutes to get it back up and operating normally. Hatch and cargo? great! Can't ask for more and miss it some. Body lines? A7 looks sweet and sleek from the sides/rear but the front grille you just get used to! LOL The v6 in the A7 was quickÂ…and peppy and had passing potential and could cruise with the best. I recall driving between Texas and OK TDY and easily and comfortably cruising around 70-80mph and the engine didn't break a sweat and gas mileage was almost 28-30mpg! However exhaust note was so quite with the stock system I forgot the thing was on at times. This is a SPORTSBACK according to Audi...so I put a $2k Stasis full exhaust on the car and it did liven it up and make it sound the part Â…but sort of cause IMHO it really needs a v8 to complete the package...and I found myself wishing for the sound and power/torque of a nice V8 at times. 7 Speed (I think) gearbox was smooth but am sure DSG (see S7) would have been much better. Seats? Worse I've ever had for any sporty driving...great for the wife and kids to take a trip to Starbucks or the mall...I found myself looking for a way to get the new S7 seats added to my car! Also the 4 passanger back does compromise your hauling capacity [we found this out when mother in law came to visit and there are me/wife/2 kids and ops..Mom you can't come with us...nope two cars later..yes you can!] so it can be inconvienent at times. Cost wise? A7 is cheaper unless you go Prestige edition but for all I found it lacking overall performance/seating/driveability...I'd be at S7 $$$ if I went Audi again.

Which brings me to BMW...by 16 months with the car...I see the reviews of the new M5 starting to hit the shelves and internet and I am smitten. I plan on how to pickup one in 2013 or 2014 maybe! Then I happen upon my local BMW dealership about 2.5 weeks ago and they have two 2013 M5s! Both are sold unfortunately and finding one at a reasonable price and optioned as I would like proves harder to find than water on Mars! But they have a handful of BMW 550i's and 550iX's and Grand Coupes and they are offering hell of a deal on them all! I drove all 3 plus and X6M and in the end I came home with a 2012 BMW 550i about a week later! Compared to the Audi A7? I like the BMW much better...its just more richer inside even if it isn't a rolling art gallery asthetically that the Audi was and which many reviewers comment on. I agree its beautiful but driving it just doesn't involve me as the BMW does/can. Yes I never hardly saw another A7 on the road and have NEVER seen an S7 but then again I don't see that many 550i's and only have seen 2 M5's and even with the e60 M5 I never ran across them on the daily...and remember I was a regular in my local M3 community back in DC/VA previously from 2008-2010 when I had it. So overall I just found the BMW more involved as a car/driver...when you decide to go that route that isÂ…houliganism [there is that word once again I use] is present and available especially in the M5, 550i and 535i models. If I had the M5 i'd probably use that term much more often. My 550i has the V8 and HP/torque (400hp/450 torque) that the A7 kinda needs but is lacking [no ECU tune avail even after 15+ mos...Stasis was close..I was on the waiting list). Car just felt like a very luxurious Camry or Lexus. My 550i with a few upgrades (DINAN S2) and exhaust (Eissenmann/Meisterchaft/etc) will be more M5-like but with everyday drive-ability as a daily driver too and not cost the shocking >$100k price tag. The multi-fxn BMW seats are about 100% better than the Audi BTW and other than my wife's 2011 Panamera its just a more complete and enjoyable driver's car!

But guys that's just my slightly educated opinion...
Do you need an educated assistant for your business???
      09-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #58
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleto63 View Post
Do you need an educated assistant for your business???
The guy must be in the European government, he seems to have all the time he needs for a good written report. Maybe in need for someone overseeing needlessly spended tax money...
Are you any good in educated time keeping?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #59
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
You can only fit 4 adults on the A7, the F10 fits 5 comfortably.

Also, equally configured the A7 was at least $10K more expensive than the 535, and the Audi dealers would not move from MSRP, which made that difference more like $15K in real world pricing. Other than that, the A7 is a beautiful car... but not $15,000 better than my 535.
+1

Additionally, the A7 is mechanically identical to the A6, for about $15 - $18K more. Not worth it just for the different look IMO.

I do like the look of the A7, and might even be okay with the 2+2 seating if it weren't for the non-existing headroom in the rear. My 535 is a passenger car by choice/necessity, otherwise I'd be driving a coupe. With my 6'+ son in the back, the A7 would be inhumane. Worse than my (former) A4 Avant.

Finally, the 5 series has a history and cache that I've always wanted a part of. I like the Audi - I've had them in the past, but it was time for the Bimmer I'd always truly wanted.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #60
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
The guy must be in the European government, he seems to have all the time he needs for a good written report. Maybe in need for someone overseeing needlessly spended tax money...
Nope just a US service member sleepless deployed overseas protecting US interests and freedom of speech guys...who also happens to like cars and the sales discount from BMW and Audi miltiary sales!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #61
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Nope just a US service member sleepless deployed overseas protecting US interests and freedom of speech guys...who also happens to like cars and the sales discount from BMW and Audi miltiary sales!
Same (just not authorized to purchase as many toys).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #62
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13
Quote:
Same, but just a MINI for my wife and a BMW for me!
      09-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #63
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Same (just not authorized to purchase as many toys).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleto63 View Post
Same, but just a MINI for my wife and a BMW for me!
Salute to you both! Thanks for serving and answering the call. Also a hint to my secret...wife gets 1st choice of her dream car too..otherwise why should I be happy! LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #64
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

A quick visual comparison of A7 and 550i

A7 is a good car, but F10 550i is just awesome
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #65
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

A7 was too expensive when I went to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #66
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
A7 is a good car, but F10 550i is just awesome
Again, why comparing apples and oranges?
A6 faces 5er
A7 faces 6GC!
However even the the A7/5er comparison has no story!