2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Tesla Model S vs. 535d

02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
highfive
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E46 330Cd *sold* / F10 535d

Tesla Model S vs. 535d

I hope I am not breaking any forum rules posting this. As a long time BMW-enthusiast I feel almost unfaithful posting this, but maybe someone else is interested in reading how the model S compares to a 5, at least from my perspective. This is a copy of my post on the Tesla forum:

Quote:
I just got back from grey and cold Hamburg. On the way down there we saw nice snowy scenery, but that was not what I was hoping for on a test drive of the P85.

The event was well organized and the location was nice. The Wine-red display car was very good-looking. The first impression was good. It was more solid-feeling then anticipated, and I liked the door opening and closing mechanism (I don't mean the handle but the locking/unlocking). My girlfriend liked the colour a lot and the interior build.

While we were waiting for our turn, we overheard some feedback from the previous testdrives. Someone found it not on par in terms of build quality with a Porsche Panamera which sits in the same price bracket as the P85.
Whilst I understand where he is coming from, this is argument is missing the point. Part of the price of a Tesla is covering the research that was done and is still being done on the technology. That is the reason why they come out with a premium sedan in the first place, so the that cost is relatively lower then on a small car. The Tesla people shied away from mentioning this, as I guess the Model S is just not the car yet for mainstream car buyers. On the other side, the fact that someone compares the S to a Panamera does indicated Tesla is on the right track!

Before the test-drive we were given the short presentation. Nothing news for forum-members. The presentation was well executed.

Onto the Test-drive. We had a co-pilot from Tesla Switzerland (sorry, forgot his name in all the excitement). We drove the pearl-white car.

My Reference
To bring my first impressions of the drive into perspective: I currently drive a bmw 535d, with adaptive drive, 4-wheel steering and sport suspension (AC Schnitzer).

Test-drive
The first feeling was eerie. I was not used to a car where you have no sensory indication that the car is on or not. The car feels big and heavy but glides effortlessly.

The suspension does a good job of filtering out uneven roads, but my first impression was that it is not as refined as my 5. The test-drive was much too short however to asses this. I hope I can make a longer test-drive in the future on roads that I know well to see if this actually true or not.

The steering is good, the wheel has a nice grip to it, similar to my Msport wheel. The car seems less sharp to turn then my 5. I will need more time to test this in detail.

The acceleration was nice. It did not blow me away. Maybe that's because I am used to a lot of torque, or maybe I was too worried about getting a ticket to properly floor it. Part of the problem was the test-course. We had a short straight stretch where we could floor it, but the speed limit of 70km/h made it a difficult proposition. I will need to test the car again with 21" wheels, dry weather, and a proper road. My girlfriend did like the acceleration, and the whizzing sound when you push the pedal.

The regen, I liked. It's perfect in standard mode. It's similar to the regenerative breaking in my 5 just more aggressive.

The test-drive was over much too fast.

Post Drive
When I got back I asked one of the Tesla people a few questions on insurance, old car buybacks, and parksensor. The answers I got were short, dismissive, and really left a bad impression. I was a bit annoyed in the way the answers were (not) given.
My girlfriend saved the day though as she spotted the guy who gave the original presentation and suggested I ask him instead. What a change! The guy was friendly, informative and very helpful. Car buybacks are not organised but they might be able to link you up with interested parties. fine. Parksensors: the cabling is already in place. This i did not know yet. So once they get the software hookups for it sorted, they will be easily able to retrofit the parksensors as the cables are already there. I was very happy to hear that.

Conclusion
The ride was very short, but better then nothing.
I will need a longer Testdrive to know for sure whether I will order the car.
The events was very well organised. I do hope they vet their pre-sales people a bit more because they cannot afford to put people off people from buying the car in such a crucial time for Tesla.
All in all it was a great experience
Attached Images

Last edited by highfive; 02-17-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

I find the Tesla to be more comparable to a Toyota than a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

It's a good looking car, but too expensive for what it is. The choice at that price includes a fair number of more appealing cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger
I find the Tesla to be more comparable to a Toyota than a BMW.
That's ridiculous. The car is competitively priced with its gas-powered competitors. It does not carry a significant price premium just because it's electric. This is no RAV4 EV. The interior may have slightly higher gap tolerances, but the materials are on par with the German and British competition. This car is Panamera-sized, as well, and can just keep up with the M5 and the Panamera Turbo once moving.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You mean the Hyundai Sonata vs. 535d?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
That's ridiculous. The car is competitively priced with its gas-powered competitors. It does not carry a significant price premium just because it's electric. This is no RAV4 EV. The interior may have slightly higher gap tolerances, but the materials are on par with the German and British competition. This car is Panamera-sized, as well, and can just keep up with the M5 and the Panamera Turbo once moving.
It looks like a asian car and it doesn't keep up with the M5 or Panamera at all!

With the M5 you can cruise 200 kmt per hour all day and the Model S doesn't even go that fast. And if you floor it and try to do high speed autobahn cruising, you are going to be docked by an electric plug in no time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

i have seen the model S in person with the same wheels on the red car. car does look beautiful and definitely different from the crowd.

for me, an electric car is not for me yet.
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It looks like a asian car and it doesn't keep up with the M5 or Panamera at all!

With the M5 you can cruise 200 kmt per hour all day and the Model S doesn't even go that fast. And if you floor it and try to do high speed autobahn cruising, you are going to be docked by an electric plug in no time.
Well it was designed by a former Aston and Jaguar design chief, so not Asian at all. Asian luxury cars are derivative. Go do some searching on google and YouTube. Watch those videos comparing the top end Tesla with the M5 and Panamera GTS and Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Well it was designed by a former Aston and Jaguar design chief, so not Asian at all. Asian luxury cars are derivative. Go do some searching on google and YouTube. Watch those videos comparing the top end Tesla with the M5 and Panamera GTS and Turbo.
Yes in a short dragrace it can keep up, but not out in the real world on eg Autobahn. The Tesla willl have a flat battery in no time, if you try to cruise 180/200 kmt...
It doesn't matter what it does on paper or in a short drag race, it's what it can do on the road that matter.

It doesn't really matter who designed it, it looks like what it does.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes in a short dragrace it can keep up, but not out in the real world on eg Autobahn. The Tesla willl have a flat battery in no time, if you try to cruise 180/200 kmt...
It doesn't matter what it does on paper or in a short drag race, it's what it can do on the road that matter.

It doesn't really matter who designed it, it looks like what it does.
Well it's mainly for the American market because the distances we typically travel are less demanding. Infrastructure is being developed here before it is in Europe. The supercharger stations will be close enough together that an average Tesla driver will be able to cover long distances and charge the battery fully in less than an hour. Not to mention those are free charge stations when you own a Tesla. I'm not saying this car is better or worse than conventionally powered cars, but for the urban living model in America, it delivers on its intended purpose. I live in a city and if I had the full powered model, the 300 mile range might shrink to 150, but I can't remember the last time I drove 150 miles in one whole day. I'd be back in my garage charging my car and going about my day. To be honest, I'm going to hate giving up the sounds and sensations of the combustion cycle in the next 30 years or so, but if this car is a mere glimpse of what the automotive living model will be like by then, it's hardly a punishment.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Well it's mainly for the American market because the distances we typically travel are less demanding. Infrastructure is being developed here before it is in Europe. The supercharger stations will be close enough together that an average Tesla driver will be able to cover long distances and charge the battery fully in less than an hour. Not to mention those are free charge stations when you own a Tesla. I'm not saying this car is better or worse than conventionally powered cars, but for the urban living model in America, it delivers on its intended purpose. I live in a city and if I had the full powered model, the 300 mile range might shrink to 150, but I can't remember the last time I drove 150 miles in one whole day. I'd be back in my garage charging my car and going about my day. To be honest, I'm going to hate giving up the sounds and sensations of the combustion cycle in the next 30 years or so, but if this car is a mere glimpse of what the automotive living model will be like by then, it's hardly a punishment.

Judging by Tesla's own chart.. range takes a significant dive as soon as you are keeping the speed up. If you extend that line so you hit 120 mph (common thing on autobahn) we are talking maybe 100 miles range, at best. And that is if you don't carry passengers, don't use the aircondition and the car is brand new (less than 12 months)

So the reality is, it can't keep up with a Panamera or M5 at all for what these cars are ment to do. These are GT cars that covers great distances at high speed with comfort in a safe way. The Tesla simply doesn't do this at all.

The battery is flat in less then an hour when you step on the gass.

Last edited by LiveLarger; 02-20-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
Judging by Tesla's own chart.. range takes a significant dive as soon as you are keeping the speed up. If you extend that line so you hit 120 mph (common thing on autobahn) we are talking maybe 100 miles range, at best. And that is if you don't carry passengers, don't use the aircondition and the car is brand new (less than 12 months)

So the reality is, it can't keep up with a Panamera or M5 at all for what these cars are ment to do. These are GT cars that covers great distances at high speed with comfort in a safe way. The Tesla simply doesn't do this at all.

The battery is flat in less then an hour when you step on the gass.

Right. And as I said, this is a concern for your automotive demands. The urban model is much less demanding.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
freeewilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Tesla Model S was my frist choice, I even put the down payment.
Saw too many BMW year end commericials last year, really want a new car and didn't want to wait anymore, so I'm leasing this time and hope Tesla will still be there after 3 years
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
highfive
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E46 330Cd *sold* / F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
I live in Germany. I travel long distances on the Autobahn regularly. That's why I bought my beemer. It's perfect for high speed cruising. The reality is though, that cruising at 120 mph has been a thing of the past for quite a while. The stretches of unrestricted Autobahn are becoming less and less, and those that remain are often crowded or filled with road works, so at least for me, the cruising at 120 mph factor has become less important.

That said, Tesla has still some practical limitations to overcome, but it does show that the car of the future can remain exciting even without an ICE.
Appreciate 0