2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Something is going on!

02-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
Something is going on!

My 535xi has been in the shop for a week already since (2/9/11). A 19" tire is the first problem. I have the insurance so thats no problem except for the fact that I have to wait for the tire. We all know about the lack of a supply. Ok, now there are techs checking out my car for an electrical problem which I had no indication of until they got hold of it. They say there is a fault code for a malfunction. It's a new car so they aren't sure whats going on...That's what I'm hearing. When I find out I'll let you all know
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
bfv
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrmeup View Post
My 535xi has been in the shop for a week already since (2/9/11). A 19" tire is the first problem. I have the insurance so thats no problem except for the fact that I have to wait for the tire. We all know about the lack of a supply. Ok, now there are techs checking out my car for an electrical problem which I had no indication of until they got hold of it. They say there is a fault code for a malfunction. It's a new car so they aren't sure whats going on...That's what I'm hearing. When I find out I'll let you all know
Get your car out of there before they "inform" you that the engine and gearbox are missing......some new fault code!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
Well they tell me that they have to replace the "DME" which is supposed to be the electronic brain of the car.This is what the techs found . It must come from Germany (5-7 days). So i'm looking at 2 weeks w/o my car. I do have a 3 series loaner.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

I believe what is going on is an opportunity to make a couple of bucks. If your car was running fine when you took it in for the tire, it will run fine when you pick it up after the tire is replaced UNLESS they replace the computer. If you let them do it, my guess is that you will acquire other issues that were not there before the computer replacement. My advice: don't let them do it and take your car away from them ASAP. If later on, your car quits and it needs a new DME, then and only then let them replace it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
98BMW540
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrmeup View Post
Well they tell me that they have to replace the "DME" which is supposed to be the electronic brain of the car.This is what the techs found . It must come from Germany (5-7 days). So i'm looking at 2 weeks w/o my car. I do have a 3 series loaner.
I am having similar problems with electronics, fault codes, etc on my 2011 550. Dealer replaced DME (I had to wait for it to be shipped from Germany as well), but continued to get faults. They think they have traced the problem to faulty alternator. Yesterday they replaced alternator and put in another DME (this time apparently they had one available). So far, car has been at the dealer for 30 straight days. They hope to release the car after a BMW field engineer has a look on Fri.

Obviously, your situation is different in that you did not actually experience a problem prior to bringing in for service.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

I'm experiencing the same issue. Got a call from a service advisor at my dealership stating the car was still in 'transport mode' and other critical issues, 7 issues stated, because she received an email. I did not have any problems with the car and did not see any warning lights stating problems. The key confirmed the problems when they 'read' the key, but when the car was connected to the computer no 'issues' where stated. The BMW engineer said they would have to reload the software onto the car and I said no problem, which I was expecting them to perform this service this morning. But at around 2pm today they called for my other key to read it to see if it stated the same issues as the other key before they reload the software and it did. At 5pm today they called and stated the car was telling them the battery needed to be replaced. What's going on? A BMW field engineer will be at the dealership tomorrow and review the issues. All of this seems very odd, I had absolutely no problems and now I do? What is everyone's take on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

That sure sounds like too many problems for a car that's almost new. How long have you had it?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue. Got a call from a service advisor at my dealership stating the car was still in 'transport mode' and other critical issues, 7 issues stated, because she received an email. I did not have any problems with the car and did not see any warning lights stating problems. The key confirmed the problems when they 'read' the key, but when the car was connected to the computer no 'issues' where stated. The BMW engineer said they would have to reload the software onto the car and I said no problem, which I was expecting them to perform this service this morning. But at around 2pm today they called for my other key to read it to see if it stated the same issues as the other key before they reload the software and it did. At 5pm today they called and stated the car was telling them the battery needed to be replaced. What's going on? A BMW field engineer will be at the dealership tomorrow and review the issues. All of this seems very odd, I had absolutely no problems and now I do? What is everyone's take on this.
My car has 1,250 miles since pickup 12/09/10. The key fobs indicated these malfunctions occurred at 112 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

Wow! at 112 miles. Not sure if possible...what about telling them you want a brand new car since this sounds like you got a car that was not manufactured correctly. May be consult an attorney or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
My car has 1,250 miles since pickup 12/09/10. The key fobs indicated these malfunctions occurred at 112 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
alpinef10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BMW540 View Post
I am having similar problems with electronics, fault codes, etc on my 2011 550. Dealer replaced DME (I had to wait for it to be shipped from Germany as well), but continued to get faults. They think they have traced the problem to faulty alternator. Yesterday they replaced alternator and put in another DME (this time apparently they had one available). So far, car has been at the dealer for 30 straight days. They hope to release the car after a BMW field engineer has a look on Fri.

Obviously, your situation is different in that you did not actually experience a problem prior to bringing in for service.
To all those that are having issues with their 550 when did you pull the trigger to place your order? And how many miles were put on the car before you got the error codes?

I dont seem to be having any of the problems that have been mentioned at least not yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #11
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To update on my posts, picked the car up yesterday after the only thing that was installed was a new battery. Called my Dinan installer and gave him the details of the key fob showing malfunctions and the car showing non. He said the fob will keep and store any malfunctions, even though my car really didn't have any malfunctions. The Dinan software was installed at the time 7 mal's were stored on the fob and my Dinan tech said nothing to be concerned with because the car is not experiencing these mal's. The reason for the new battery, in my opinion, they kept the car connected to the computer reading the car. When you have the Dinan software installed a special battery in connected to the car during the update process to prevent the car battery from being drained.

To sum up - If your service tech calls and states they have an email showing multiple malfunctions showing on your car and your car is having no problems and no warning lights are on, just let them know when you have a problem or when it's time for an oil change you'll bring the car in. If the fob shows mal's but the car doesn't, tell them don't worry, be happy, and drive on.

The car is awesome and still love it.
Appreciate 0