2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Tire dilemma - need assistance

01-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Tire dilemma - need assistance

I recently purchased a CPO 2012 535i xdrive from a dealership. Post the testdrive, I informed the sales guy that I am feeling a vibration and it should get checked. I would be pretty pissed if I need to buy a new tire again. I was promised this was checked by the service center prior to delivery. I took delivery on 1/9/15 and on the drive home, I felt the same vibration. Thinking/hoping its just a balancing issue, I just let it be and scheduled the first available spot at my local recommended tirerack shop.

Didnt use the car for two days since my worse fear is a bubble on the sidewall and didnt want to take the risk.

This morning 1/12/15, I brought my car to the shop and had them rebalance and road force all wheels. I was pretty disappointed when they called me in and showed me the huge bubble on the innder sidewall. This becomes more of safety issue now as the bubble is pretty wide (about 4-5in long) on a 40 series tire.

Now my question to everyone is do I have any valid case to win this and have this replaced by the dealership under warranty? Or am I pretty much SOL? I know that tires are wear and tear but I informed them about the vibration so its not like there was no initial claim on this. I do not have the wheels/tires warranty and my car is still under new car warranty (only have 21k miles on the car).

I thought they usually have a 30 day grace period to make sure that the car is in good working order?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by M5Beast_NYC; 01-12-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Congrats on the new purchase! I had a similar scenario when I purchased my car. I noticed my front right side tire had a bulge (or bubble) in the sidewall but the dealership told me not to worry as its common with the tires and wont affect performance. So silly me, I took their advice and drove for about 2 weeks before having the tire burst on the BQE by atlantic ave (aka the worst place to break down). Thankfully, I was able to drive to my tire shop in Queens without issue and ordered a new tire. I called the dealership and explained the situation to them and they said to get the receipt from the tire shop for the cost of the tire, sales tax and labor for installation and they will reimburse me via check for my troubles. I went to them the next day and collected a $500 check. Bubbles will burst its only a matter of time. Tell the dealership of your issue and see to it that they replace your tire for free. Note I didn't say ask. Im sure when you purchased the car you were expecting 4 tires in good condition not just 3. Call them today and let me know how it goes.
      01-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

I am currently in the same situation with a set of brand new runflats.... I will call the dealer and ask whats up. It looks as though the tire has been repaired (plug) prior to me taking the car
      01-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Carbonm3ny, I think you should confront the salesman who promise to fix to the problem for you and didn't. If you get no satisfaction from him, I would escalate it to the sales manager and then BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I have notified him earlier this morning and he is checking with his manager. Its been 5 hours and still no word. I didnt ask. I stated nicely that I trust they will do the right thing. If that doesnt work, then Mr Hyde will come out and play with these stealership!

Ive also reached out to BMW NA to inquire what my rights are. Havent opened a formal complain with BMW NA yet.

is it safe to drive with this bubble? it is run flat after all..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
Congrats on the new purchase! I had a similar scenario when I purchased my car. I noticed my front right side tire had a bulge (or bubble) in the sidewall but the dealership told me not to worry as its common with the tires and wont affect performance. So silly me, I took their advice and drove for about 2 weeks before having the tire burst on the BQE by atlantic ave (aka the worst place to break down). Thankfully, I was able to drive to my tire shop in Queens without issue and ordered a new tire. I called the dealership and explained the situation to them and they said to get the receipt from the tire shop for the cost of the tire, sales tax and labor for installation and they will reimburse me via check for my troubles. I went to them the next day and collected a $500 check. Bubbles will burst its only a matter of time. Tell the dealership of your issue and see to it that they replace your tire for free. Note I didn't say ask. Im sure when you purchased the car you were expecting 4 tires in good condition not just 3. Call them today and let me know how it goes.
did you purchase your car brand new or CPO?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
It is, somewhat safe, but I wouldn't recommend it in general.
It will burst, just a matter of time. And when that happens, you don't really want to be too far from where you want to go, as it depends on type of puncture whether runflat will "take it" and you're running a chance of damaging your rim, potential for more money out of pocket.

I've had one burst on me and have actually driven a fair distance on runflat after with no issues, but again, would not recommend that in general.

Hope they "do the right" thing for you and replace it ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have notified him earlier this morning and he is checking with his manager. Its been 5 hours and still no word. I didnt ask. I stated nicely that I trust they will do the right thing. If that doesnt work, then Mr Hyde will come out and play with these stealership!

Ive also reached out to BMW NA to inquire what my rights are. Havent opened a formal complain with BMW NA yet.

I would tell them that you do not feel safe driving this car long distance and you will get the tire or tires replace, sometimes you need to change two at a time depending on how worn the tires are, and send them the bill. That should give them an incentive to get things moving faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I would tell them that you do not feel safe driving this car long distance and you will get the tire or tires replace, sometimes you need to change two at a time depending on how worn the tires are, and send them the bill. That should give them an incentive to get things moving faster.
I just got a call from the Senior Service consultant at the BMW dealership where I purchased the car and asked me to bring it in tomorrow. I demand that this should not be of any charge to me as I only got the car 3 days ago and Ive made a prior complaint about it. He agrees and thinks it should not be a problem (knock on wood).

Ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Update: The dealership did the right thing and replaced the tire for me free of charge!! Thanks for everyone's responses!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
I just got a call from the Senior Service consultant at the BMW dealership where I purchased the car and asked me to bring it in tomorrow. I demand that this should not be of any charge to me as I only got the car 3 days ago and Ive made a prior complaint about it. He agrees and thinks it should not be a problem (knock on wood).

Ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks!!
I had the same problem. Bought the car. Took delivery and drove it for 1 day until a warning light came on. I came back and they fixed it no charge. BMW dealerships don't want you to complain to corporate within 30 days of purchase as it is all recorded. They definitely don't want unhappy 5 series customers as it is their cash cow.

FYI - I know this for a fact as my salesman and technician nearly lost their job for selling me a vehicle with a bad tire. The CPO process is mandated by BMW Corporate HQ whichever region you're in. Their multipoint inspection was supposed to catch that. If it didn't meet the standards, they couldn't label as CPO because The Corporate HQ office is liable for the extended warranty. So the dealer will most likely fix it for free unless they want to lose the ability to sell CPO vehicles. It's not that they care about you, they care about the CPO value. Not only does it sell at a much higher price, it usually sell within 2 weeks. That is easy money.

Last edited by 493263; 01-13-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
FYI - I know this for a fact as my salesman and technician nearly lost their job for selling me a vehicle with a bad tire. The CPO process is mandated by BMW Corporate HQ whichever region you're in. Their multipoint inspection was supposed to catch that. If it didn't meet the standards, they couldn't label as CPO because The Corporate HQ office is liable for the extended warranty. So the dealer will most likely fix it for free unless they want to lose the ability to sell CPO vehicles. It's not that they care about you, they care about the CPO value. Not only does it sell at a much higher price, it usually sell within 2 weeks. That is easy money.
That kind of give us an idea how thorough those CPO inspections are. CPO now a day is nothing more than a money maker and a short extended warranty. If you drives like 25000 miles a year, CPO is good idea, but for most of us, it is really not needed. When Lexus started the whole CPO concept years ago, CPO stood for something. They would only pick the cream of the crop from used cars. Now a days, even cars that have been in serious accidents are qualify for CPO and the inspection has become nothing more than an inspector's signature.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Update: The dealership did the right thing and replaced the tire for me free of charge!! Thanks for everyone's responses!