2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Is this a front differential issue?

04-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #1
DDejan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 XDrive F11

Is this a front differential issue?

BMW F11 530 XDrive, 2011
I’d appreciate some expert help...
In turns (both sides) with low speed occasionally there is a strong grinding sound/feeling and vibration in the front part of the car. The more I turn, stronger the grinding effect. The car tends to break, even stop if turn completely. Looks like a very serious issue. On the other hand, then it drives straight with no problem at all.
Now the weird part… First happened 6 months ago and lasted for a week. Then I drove 40 miles to the mechanic shop and the problem totally disappeared by the time I came there. 10.000 miles no serious problems, just sometimes clock, clock, clock sound when turning the wheels completely. The problem reappeared a week ago, exactly the same symptoms: strong grinding, stopping…, after a 100 miles going “straight” it disappeared. Now everything is seemingly OK.
Differential oil was changed 7 months ago (original BMW oil). I suspect it is differential issue, because the problem persists even in neutral mode with no power on wheels (going down the hill). But I’m not sure. In the BMW repair shop (to whom I was not able to demonstrate the problem) they told me that differential issue would not go away for few months and then reappear.
Please help if you have any idea or similar experience. Thank you!
Appreciate 0