2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone else sitting on the fence?

11-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Anyone else sitting on the fence?

so i've had my current car (E92 330i M-Sport) for 3 years...prior to that I had E60 530i M-Sport and E60 530i SE.

now kids have come along am looking to move back to the 5-series and have been watching with interest the posts on this forum. Back when the E60 was launched I got my fingers burnt being an early adopter with the 530i SE and it was plagued with issues. the 530i M-Sport I replaced it with in 2005 was however a much better car all round, felt like they'd been built to two different standards.

currently my options are:

1. new order F11 535d M-Sport with a few options (media/19" wheels/folding mirrors/Business Speaker pkg/Auto tailgate/heated seats/usb interface/speed limit display etc etc)

2. wait a few more months (I'm in no rush) and see what pops up on the approved used / ex-demo / ex-bmw sites, dealer did say more m-sports will come through early 2011 as there was some issue getting the anthracite headlining's from their supplier as supplier suffered a factory fire and this reduced the factories ability to process m-sport builds.....not sure if that was truth or FUD.

given the list of issues and niggles i've seen so far on this site I am feeling more comfortable by the day with option 2 since i'm in no rush and don't really want to fork out a lot of £££ for a car that might still be suffering teething issues (mostly related to steering/suspension and electric gremlins).

don't get me wrong i'm definitely going to go for the F11 it just feels like i should let a few more roll off the production line before taking the plunge.

my other issue is finding a dealer with a 535d F11 demo car. i've found one that has one in their showroom but they won't let me take it out. they said i could take the 530d SE touring.....great so a different model, different engine, different suspension setup, does he really think I'm going to part with £50+K based on that kind of test drive???????

......beginning to think i've answered my own question, still interested to know if anyone else out there is waiting before ordering
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Yes, another here, waiting to find out more about these cars. I wanted to move from an E39 540i touring into the E61, but just couldn't make the move,after some test drives. I went for the 3-series 330d touring as it seemed to fit the requirements better. Got severely burned with the ride issues, once living with the car. Thought the F10/11 would be totally sorted. Have tried three different F10 setups, one F11. Has made me even more cautious of a decision, after the drives, the press reports and particularly the forum feedback. Shows me you do have to sort and understand the specifications, to get what you really want. Let alone the new model niggles.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
so i've had my current car (E92 330i M-Sport) for 3 years...prior to that I had E60 530i M-Sport and E60 530i SE.

now kids have come along am looking to move back to the 5-series and have been watching with interest the posts on this forum. Back when the E60 was launched I got my fingers burnt being an early adopter with the 530i SE and it was plagued with issues. the 530i M-Sport I replaced it with in 2005 was however a much better car all round, felt like they'd been built to two different standards.
I had originally ordered a 5 series Stick shift and after reading about the first year issues with the steering and other aspects of the car (its weight) i decided to just keep up with the research and see where 2011 takes me...

I think BMW should have made the car a little lighter and given it more HP on the 535i. 300hp was a dissappointment on the stick shift model. i test drove the model, and while it was nice an crisp shifting, it felt way underpowered for what it should be. A sports sedan. An extended length 335i is it was not. Made me cancel my order. And start to re-think things. I believe the new 3 series will be the right size for me. If only they could add 30 hp and 30 lbs of tq to the 535i, it would make it much better to accelerate in. 1st and 2nd gear need more POWER!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Quote:

currently my options are:

1. new order F11 535d M-Sport with a few options (media/19" wheels/folding mirrors/Business Speaker pkg/Auto tailgate/heated seats/usb interface/speed limit display etc etc)

2. wait a few more months (I'm in no rush) and see what pops up on the approved used / ex-demo / ex-bmw sites, dealer did say more m-sports will come through early 2011 as there was some issue getting the anthracite headlining's from their supplier as supplier suffered a factory fire and this reduced the factories ability to process m-sport builds.....not sure if that was truth or FUD.

given the list of issues and niggles i've seen so far on this site I am feeling more comfortable by the day with option 2 since i'm in no rush and don't really want to fork out a lot of £££ for a car that might still be suffering teething issues (mostly related to steering/suspension and electric gremlins).

don't get me wrong i'm definitely going to go for the F11 it just feels like i should let a few more roll off the production line before taking the plunge.

my other issue is finding a dealer with a 535d F11 demo car. i've found one that has one in their showroom but they won't let me take it out. they said i could take the 530d SE touring.....great so a different model, different engine, different suspension setup, does he really think I'm going to part with £50+K based on that kind of test drive???????

......beginning to think i've answered my own question, still interested to know if anyone else out there is waiting before ordering
What niggles/issues are you talking about?

1) The steering? It seems that active steering is not for everybody, so don't spec it.

2) Suspension? What's the issue with the M Sport suspension?

3) The odd electrical gremlin is going to happen with any new car, and there is no guarantee that in a years time some other issue might not crop up that has you having to have the car rectified. Or is there some other major issue with the F10/11 that I have missed?

Cheers
      11-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
wessew10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3; 2011 BMW 550i

Well, I have had my brand new 550i for two weeks. It has all of the options except night vision. I am very pleased with it. First, I have not had any issues at all including gremlins. The car is quiet, tight and squeak free. To me steering feel and performance is quite good with active steering, particularly when Sport mode is engaged. I drove both steering setups before ordering active steering and to me it makes the car drive a lot smaller than its 116.9 inch wheelbase. Performance is blistering even keeping RPM below 4500 until breakin. About my only complaint is mileage which will improve after breakin is completed. I had previously owned a 2000 M5 and most recently a Lexus GS 450H. This vehicle seems to have the best characteristics of both, and it's character can be changed significantly with the flip of a button. So count me as one happy customer.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Lost-Again
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520 D Alpine White

I too am very happy with mine. My 520d F11 is mostly standard, suspension and wheels (17inch). I have had no problems and don't have the steering wander that many report. I have not had the previous model, so that is probably why I find it ok when others don't. However, I have owned (and still do) many performance cars and although the f11 lacks feedback I don't feel there us anything seriously wrong. I lean towards many others on here that suggest the problem is the RFTs. I know from other cars a change in side wall rigidity can destroy the charistics of a car's handling, but I'm ok with this, I think there a good idea. My wife would never change a wheel on the motorway, and she drives it 50% of the time, so the convience factor is more than compensation. Overall the relatively low number of issues reported on this site are testimony to how much of a step forward this car really is. There will always be some issues and like others the design will evolve with time. Even if you choose to buy now or later you will still own something that sets the benchmark for most, if not all of the competition, and this is my first BMW!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
lawbuz
Rep
Drives: 535

Why do you guys think BMW is going to tinker with the steering and other items mid-production year 2011 or in 2012. There are no mechanical/electric defects here to fix, and rather a stylistic preference. Given that sales of the 535 are skyrocketing, why would BMW change anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by indus View Post
What niggles/issues are you talking about?

1) The steering? It seems that active steering is not for everybody, so don't spec it.

2) Suspension? What's the issue with the M Sport suspension?

3) The odd electrical gremlin is going to happen with any new car, and there is no guarantee that in a years time some other issue might not crop up that has you having to have the car rectified. Or is there some other major issue with the F10/11 that I have missed?

Cheers
The electronic steering... Have you read this board about how cars are not driving in a straight line? The calibration is off right from the factory.

Drivers have been criticizing the way it feels, which is not the same issue e46 drivers experienced during the introduction. Later LCI in 2002 fixed it. But I remember at the time, it was no big deal, and years later the 2000, and 2001 were considered not as precise and were given the retrofit option.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbuz View Post
Why do you guys think BMW is going to tinker with the steering and other items mid-production year 2011 or in 2012. There are no mechanical/electric defects here to fix, and rather a stylistic preference. Given that sales of the 535 are skyrocketing, why would BMW change anything?
I think they could improve the steering. Or do away with the electronic steering...

One needs to realize, in order to get the "self parking feature to work", it needs electronic steering to assist.

Last time I checked, sports cars do not park themselves. I think it was a bold move for BMW to remove the great steering feel they are known for. Honestly, it was one of the reasons I didn't buy one.

Other reasons, I think the 535i is underpowered with the 6 speed manual. You do not feel any rush in power until 3rd gear. It pulls no where like the last 535i. And it gives you a REAL reason to jump to the 550i. I was shocked at how much faster the 8 speed auto is on the 535i. its the only way to go to have a decently quick 535i. Again, i drove both for some time, and in the end, I thought it needed more low end torque to move 4100 lbs.

I may change my mind after more drives, but there are little to no 6 speeds even around to try out. Its A BIG test of fate to grab a 6 speed for 66,000 and hope its quick and inspiring. I know, tough to digest... so i think 2012 could address those two issues... i bet the n55 engine could do 330HP no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Harvey T. Gluck
Harvey T. Gluck
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 XI

anyone one else sitting on the Fence.

I was on the fence along time----but finally ordered a 335XI which is now in the English Channel due to arrive in Port Newark Dec 2.........
I LOVE The looks of the 550XI but the #'s were crazy to get a Lease for 24 months...so I opted for the 335XI which I have now...I know its the last Year, but if I really want the 550XI I can make the move in 12 Months.......have done it before and taken very little Penalty.... I am the only one who uses the car in my Family.......My Wife is Sick and is pretty much Home Bound....My First Priority is her.
I CAN ONLY RELAY TO ALL OF YOU---IF HAVE YOUR HEALTH AND LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE --YOU HAVE 99% OF WHAT YOU NEED....THE REST YOU CAN GET IF YOU WANT IT.........Enough Preaching.....Harvey T. GLUCK
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
wessew10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3; 2011 BMW 550i

With respect to steering on my 550i, my calibration appears to be spot on. The vehicle does not pull either way. I admit this is a sample of one, but if it is a factory defect, we should all have the problem...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

I had a 530d MS for demo over a weekend and never noticed the steering pull.
      11-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #13
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
I think they could improve the steering. Or do away with the electronic steering...
One needs to realize, in order to get the "self parking feature to work", it needs electronic steering to assist.
Last time I checked, sports cars do not park themselves. I think it was a bold move for BMW to remove the great steering feel they are known for.
Electric Power Steering (EPS) is here to stay, and eventually, majority of the cars will use this design. And no, self parking is NOT the reason to implement EPS at all. It's all about fuel saving and efficiency. Hydraulic pumps run all the time, while EPS is only active when you turn the steering wheel. EPS consumes 90% less energy than hydraulics.

In addition, with the elimination of the engine belt driven system for hydraulics pump and all the high pressure hydraulics hose system, manufacturing is simplified and manufacturing cost is lowered.

The road "feel" is a result of software and hardware design anyways, and can be improved upon.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #14
Lost-Again
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520 D Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Electric Power Steering (EPS) is here to stay, and eventually, majority of the cars will use this design. And no, self parking is NOT the reason to implement EPS at all. It's all about fuel saving and efficiency. Hydraulic pumps run all the time, while EPS is only active when you turn the steering wheel. EPS consumes 90% less energy than hydraulics.

In addition, with the elimination of the engine belt driven system for hydraulics pump and all the high pressure hydraulics hose system, manufacturing is simplified and manufacturing cost is lowered.

The road "feel" is a result of software and hardware design anyways, and can be improved upon.
+1. My sports car has EPS!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
nosnoop: I heard the newest incarnation of the 3 series don't have eletronic servo due to bad steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #16
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

looks like I need to find a dealer with an M-Sport 535d demo, preferably the F11....could be like finding hen's teeth I fear as all dealers i've called so far have either had no demo or only had the 520d saloon m-sport......anyone know of a dealer in SE UK with a 535d F11 demo car????
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #17
svowles
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport Touring

Quote:
looks like I need to find a dealer with an M-Sport 535d demo, preferably the F11....could be like finding hen's teeth I fear as all dealers i've called so far have either had no demo or only had the 520d saloon m-sport......anyone know of a dealer in SE UK with a 535d F11 demo car????
Try Dick Lovett in Bristol....A Bit of a hike from the South East, but if you are spending that amount of cash then its prob worth it.

I ordered a 525d F11 MSport after having a play in their 535d F11 MSport...By the way, its very quick
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #18
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Save yourself a few quid and keep driving your missus' Q5 ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

If you believe everything you read you will be sitting there forever:
My steering doesn't pull or grind
No jerking or hesitation
I can't hear any tapping or knocking
My tyres are normal
My car refuses to shake
It is uncannily quiet and smooth
The suspensions is superb (get VDC)
Feels absolutely rock solid on the road
Best car I ever had-must be incredibly lucky to have had one of the few F10s that seem to be as BMW intended!

Time to fall off the fence
Appreciate 0