2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is it even worth mentioning?

11-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
jmr986
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535ix Alpine White

Is it even worth mentioning?

Had my 535ix picked up for it's first 12k service. Asked for the usual oil & tire rotation and new wipers and whatever else they're supposed to do. Service guy calls me and says they can't rotate the tires because they're staggered. My response was "really, on a 535 with luxury package? Uh OK."

So checked it out. Sure enough 245/40-19s all around. Got the email survey. Deleted it, but then moved it back into the inbox.

A bit disappointed that the service person didn't have a fundamental knowledge of the vehicle. Which now makes me question the quality of their service department. Was going to mention that in the survey and copy my sales guy, but don't know if it's even that big of a deal. Don't want to come across as a d**k. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
bostonzack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xDrive M Sport

I question the quality of the service department every time they touch my car... If your SA is an idiot and gave you the wrong info, I'd mention it. However, that said, BMW doesn't seem to recommend tire rotation. It's a fairly controversial topic. Not sure if it's because of the very different wear patterns front to rear or what. If a tire is worn on one edge and you swap it, the handling could feel different. These runflats are also highly defective and some of them pull. If they actually use their Hunter machine properly, they will test for pull and match the tires up to minimize this. But probably nobody does, because they look at me like I have two heads when I mention the machine can actually do that...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
jmr986
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535ix Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonzack View Post
I question the quality of the service department every time they touch my car... If your SA is an idiot and gave you the wrong info, I'd mention it. However, that said, BMW doesn't seem to recommend tire rotation. It's a fairly controversial topic. Not sure if it's because of the very different wear patterns front to rear or what. If a tire is worn on one edge and you swap it, the handling could feel different. These runflats are also highly defective and some of them pull. If they actually use their Hunter machine properly, they will test for pull and match the tires up to minimize this. But probably nobody does, because they look at me like I have two heads when I mention the machine can actually do that...
I'm beginning to wonder about BMW SA's. I had a E36 328is (loved that car) from another dealership in town. The dash had to be replaced, told me no problem, but we have to flag the title because the new dash electronic odometer would be at zero. So checked with the experts on the BMW forum. Master tech replied basically telling the SA get his head out of his a$$ and consult TSB xxxx-xxxxxx.xx. Printed the response, brought it to my SA. Got the dash with the correct mileage. I just expect more from BMW SA's considering what we pay for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
bostonzack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xDrive M Sport

There are good ones and bad ones, just like anything else. No shortage of horror stories here either. Often they're just relaying bad info from a tech who doesn't know what he's doing either. Make friends with your service manager and meet the shop foreman if you can. Sooner or later you'll need them... If you really hate your SA just ask the service manager to reassign you.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
cityjohn
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

We know how critical those silly "all-fives" surveys are. But it's also important to feel good about those who fix your car. What I'd do is fill out all 5s, copy and mail it, then bring the copy with you and address any concerns with service manager. He'll see that you are nonthreatening and you already rated them as perfect, and he will be more likely to want to help make sure you are satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

If you are going to take the time to fill out the survey, then tell it like it is. Wouldn't you have liked to have known ahead of time that some of the techs at this dealer don't know what they are doing?

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Last time I took my car in because my TPMS was malfunctioning, the SA told me it's because of my 'aftermarket wheels' being larger than the OE ones. They wouldn't cover the warranty, which I understand, so I just bought a set and it's been working since. Obviously, the SA pulled that explanation right out of his ***.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr986 View Post
A bit disappointed that the service person didn't have a fundamental knowledge of the vehicle. Which now makes me question the quality of their service department. Was going to mention that in the survey and copy my sales guy, but don't know if it's even that big of a deal. Don't want to come across as a d**k. Thoughts?
I think at this point sales guy likely doesn't care, or can do much. Good ones understand having great relationship with clients will benefit them and the brand long term, but those are hard to find. Maybe yours is one of them - many only think short term these days though.

Also, in my experience, good SA are extremely rare (at any dealership, this isn't BMW issue only). Most of them are friendly and professional, but if it's not typical, oil change, brake job type work order, it's a hit and miss finding good ones that will listen, care and take time to properly explain the issue to the techs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9 View Post
If you are going to take the time to fill out the survey, then tell it like it is.
Fully agree, no point in taking time to do it and saying you're happy if you're not. Don't see how this ever benefits you, the dealership or other customers.
Appreciate 0