2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Shipment of BMW from overseas to The US

07-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Trae4sho
Rep
Drives: N/A

Shipment of BMW from overseas to The US

I am military, about to purchase a BMW through BMW Military CAR Sales. Upon arrival to the stateside location it is a possibility I will have to pay state taxes and license. Have anyone experienced this or know a good state to ship my car for little to no state tax?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
zaqm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae4sho
I am military, about to purchase a BMW through BMW Military CAR Sales. Upon arrival to the stateside location it is a possibility I will have to pay state taxes and license. Have anyone experienced this or know a good state to ship my car for little to no state tax?
Where is ur next duty station? You have to pay state tax where your car is delivered... Oregon or Delaware are no Sales tax but you need proof of residence when you resister thru DMV. Good luck... My delivery sate is VA bc car sales tax is 3,3%
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Stonehauler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Lexus GS430

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqm3 View Post
Where is ur next duty station? You have to pay state tax where your car is delivered... Oregon or Delaware are no Sales tax but you need proof of residence when you resister thru DMV. Good luck... My delivery sate is VA bc car sales tax is 3,3%
Not exactly true. Delaware has a vehicle tax...I think about 2.5%...that you pay when you first register the car. In addition, they will charge you tax on the current value of the vehicle if you move instate. They will not charge the tax if you can PROVE you paid an equal or higher percentage sales tax, but you need good records to do so.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Trae4sho
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqm3 View Post
Not exactly true. Delaware has a vehicle tax...I think about 2.5%...that you pay when you first register the car. In addition, they will charge you tax on the current value of the vehicle if you move instate. They will not charge the tax if you can PROVE you paid an equal or higher percentage sales tax, but you need good records to do so.
Thanks for the information. I wish I could get more input from the rest of the forum, peace...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
shadyville03
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae4sho View Post
Thanks for the information. I wish I could get more input from the rest of the forum, peace...
it depends on how long you have the vehicle in Germany before you come back state side
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

I purchased an Infiniti after my first deployment through Military Auto Source, a subsidiary of Exchange New Car Sales. Car was shipped to TX and I only paid registration tax, not sales tax.
Appreciate 0