2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding iDrive clock frozen after startup

06-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
falcongeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

iDrive clock frozen after startup

I recently noticed that the clock displayed on the iDrive screen is not updating. It will display the time correctly when the ignition is first switched on, but will never update after that. What is interesting is that the clock displayed on the instrument cluster continues to display the correct time. I have checked all the settings and cannot seem to find what would cause this. A couple weeks ago I performed a software update after I was sent a notice from BMW that an update was available. It is possible that this is when the issue started, but I didn't notice it immediately. To my knowledge, nothing else has changed.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

The s/w update you did might have caused a problem with the iDrive clock but I doubt it. You can try to revert the s/w to the previous version (using the same iDrive menue location). See if that makes a difference and if it does download the s/w again and (after reformatting the USB) try the update again.

If that doesn't correct it It's probably a dealer s/w fix that needs to be done.
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
falcongeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi524TD View Post
The s/w update you did might have caused a problem with the iDrive clock but I doubt it. You can try to revert the s/w to the previous version (using the same iDrive menue location). See if that makes a difference and if it does download the s/w again and (after reformatting the USB) try the update again.

If that doesn't correct it It's probably a dealer s/w fix that needs to be done.
Well I tried backing out the software update and that didn't seem to fix it. I also noticed that the settings for info display are not working properly either. I betting that I'll have to have the dealer reflash the software.

Adam
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

Glitches and gremlins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongeek View Post
Well I tried backing out the software update and that didn't seem to fix it. I also noticed that the settings for info display are not working properly either. I betting that I'll have to have the dealer reflash the software.
Adam
Correct ... I don't know the production date of your specific car but there was a recent s/w release that corrected several issues related to service settings and such. Your dealer should be aware of that (unless it was done previously) but in my experience it's best to tell the dealer SA what the issues are but don't tell them how to "cure" it. Let them figure it out!

And, pictures are really worth thousands of words - snap a few phone pics of this or any future concerns / alerts, etc. Trust me - it works and helps you document anything that might go away after driving your car for a while.
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 0