2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 550i for Autocross, Track Days, Time Attack Etc.

04-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
CodeNameF10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

F10 550i for Autocross, Track Days, Time Attack Etc.

Happy Sunday everyone,

I am wondering if there's any members on this forum who are currently using the rear wheel drive F10 550i (V8 N63) for autocrossing, track days, time attack or wheel to wheel racing events? I am not talking about 1/4 mile racing.

If you are using or had used your 550i (N63 V8) for these kind of racing or track events, can you share your experience using the 550i and also recommendation on modifications?

I have owned a 2011 550i for about 5 years now. I have 3 years of experience with autocrossing and a few lapping events. However, I was using an old E46 3 series. The E46 is now gone and I am wondering if its a good idea to use the F10 550i.

I would love to hear your experience with the 550i in terms of the positives and negatives, modifications, performance, and anything that's relevant to using the 550i for the racing events that I had mentioned above.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Shane

Last edited by CodeNameF10; 04-22-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
estarmer
Family Fleet Maintenance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

Shane,
I'm sort of in your shoes as well, I have an 11 535i M-Sport and have been thinking of doing a few autocross events or track days. I've been Autocrossing now going on 30 years so I've seen some pretty big cars such as ours do quite well at it and driven quite a few myself. What has me a little worried is our cars already have issues with bushings wearing out as well as rear diff bushings wearing out. I wish more of the vendors would address this with aftermarket bushings but when I started looking around I have only found a very few people who have autocrossed an F10. There was a guy on Bimmerfest that even posted a few video's of his 550 and it looked really well composed and he sure had a good time. I may just have to make my own bushings if it comes to it, making urathane bushings DIY is actually pretty simple. I also recommend a second set of rims and tires or at least something like the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's which has a large enough tread block to not totally get ripped apart autocrossing and also has very good break away at the limit. If you want to talk more about it let me know. I'm starting on some maintenance that I want to get done before I take mine out so likely wont be till later this summer but its on my list to go scare some cones with my bimmer.

Eric
Appreciate 0