2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Suspension noise from rear

01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

Suspension noise from rear

I find that the suspension seems to clatter a fair bit over the rough stuff. I have standard suspension (no VDC) and 17'' runflats. When I got the car I discovered that the tyres were over inflated so I let air out and adjusted them to the correct settings - 33 front and 36 rear. But I actually think it was less noisy with the higher pressure in the tyres, but that makes no sense! Any one else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

I often get a noticeable "thud" from the rear end over big bumps. There's one bump on my way to work that upsets the rear end so bad it feels like it hops. Ironically, my lowered MKIII VW eats it right up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

We picked up 2 535s last month.

I havent noticed anything but my brother mentioned something about some noise from the rear.

Ill check with him when I see him later.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

I have the same thing with mine. Doesn't really bother me. Mine has the M-sports suspension which makes the car firmer. Could be just plastics that move around. I dunno.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Probably due to BMWNA instructing dealers to covertly rotate shock towers and dealers failing to torque the bolts back to correct pressures. I had the same 'thud', which was delayed in sound and feeling when going over certain bumps, but only from the right rear. After SEVERAL complaints, a different dealer found bolts that weren't torqued completely, which they tightened, which solved the problem. Sad to say, but it's disgusting the way the company treats customers.

Last edited by dbs600; 01-12-2013 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Probably due to BMWNA instructing dealers to covertly rotate shock towers and dealers failing to torque the bolts back to correct pressures. I had the same 'thud', which was delayed in sound and feeling when going over certain bumps, but only from the right rear. After SEVERAL complaints, a different dealer found bolts that weren't torqued completely, which they tightened, which solved the problem. Sad to say, but it's disgusting the way the company treats customers.
Why would they do this? How can I get it sorted?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

It was a supposed fix for pulling to the right.

Describe the problem and state it sounds like bolts may be lose.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I find that the suspension seems to clatter a fair bit over the rough stuff. I have standard suspension (no VDC) and 17'' runflats. When I got the car I discovered that the tyres were over inflated so I let air out and adjusted them to the correct settings - 33 front and 36 rear. But I actually think it was less noisy with the higher pressure in the tyres, but that makes no sense! Any one else experience this?
It appears you are finding what I found on the rough stuff on standard suspension. The standard suspension is just not good enough and the rear can amplify some road imperfections. (Had that issue on my E91 330d). Your findings with the tyre pressure could well be right, many have found lowering pressure does not improve the ride quality, can make it worse. Commented on for many different models with RFTs. It can be the fact you increase the tyre spring rate (in some situations and frequencies) by riding more on the stiff sidewalls, rather than on the crown of the tyres where there is a bit more 'give', when the tyre is working, if you get the pressures just right.

Not convinced that something is loose, you mention the rear, the adjustments were for the front of faulty cars wth steering pull.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

BTW, has this clatter got worse as the winter has come on with lower temperatures? I assume you are on summer tyres, which can harden up a bit with cooler temperatures and that can give more issues if the suspension is already struggling to give good ride quality on poor surfaces.

Been there with the E91, so have a bit of experience when tyres just don't work the same in cooler temperatures.

I'm on Adaptive Drive and running 17" winter tyres. There is a slight difference in ride quality as the temperature drops, but the suspension still does pretty well. As I'm in the touring I have the benefit of rear air suspension, that helps sorts the rear out as well with its variable spring rate. I sense every little helps to cope with using RFTs.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Rear shocks relate to steering geometry as well, as our cars, w/ and w/o xDrive, are capable of and require 4-wheel alignments.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BTW, has this clatter got worse as the winter has come on with lower temperatures? I assume you are on summer tyres, which can harden up a bit with cooler temperatures and that can give more issues if the suspension is already struggling to give good ride quality on poor surfaces.

Been there with the E91, so have a bit of experience when tyres just don't work the same in cooler temperatures.

I'm on Adaptive Drive and running 17" winter tyres. There is a slight difference in ride quality as the temperature drops, but the suspension still does pretty well. As I'm in the touring I have the benefit of rear air suspension, that helps sorts the rear out as well with its variable spring rate. I sense every little helps to cope with using RFTs.

HighlandPete
Thank you for your reply. I only have the car a week so I can't comment re temperature. It was a bit better today when I had a couple of passengers in the rear. I thought that by sticking with the 17s I'd get the best ride - it seems I was wrong. I will try inflating the tyres tomorrow to the higher 'fully loaded' pressures and see how that goes. If it doesn't improve things I might look at non-runflats and a can of foam.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Thank you for your reply. I only have the car a week so I can't comment re temperature. It was a bit better today when I had a couple of passengers in the rear. I thought that by sticking with the 17s I'd get the best ride - it seems I was wrong. I will try inflating the tyres tomorrow to the higher 'fully loaded' pressures and see how that goes. If it doesn't improve things I might look at non-runflats and a can of foam.
Is your car new?

BTW, besides the cars being wheel size sensitive for ride quality, I've found RFTs are very tyre pressure sensitive and you may need to experiment a bit, a couple of psi at a time, to get the best drive.

Having tried a few F10/11 models I came to the conclusion the cars needed at least VDC to improve the ride quality. I've also found in my E91 330d the ride quality on RFTs was far better with a loaded car, the suspension then worked in harmony, rather that what I've concluded are conflicts and amplification of imperfections on some surfaces.

Quote:
WHATCAR Wrote: No other executive car can rival the BMW 5 Series 520d SE for refinement, quality or efficiency. Adding Variable Damper Control makes it great to drive, too, but be warned - it’s not nearly as good without.
Tend to agree.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Rear shocks relate to steering geometry as well, as our cars, w/ and w/o xDrive, are capable of and require 4-wheel alignments.
Agree about 4-wheel alignment, but the rear shocks (dampers, UK) are vertically mounted components, and not influencing alignment geometry. Ride height maybe, but not adjusted with a 4-wheel alignment.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Dom, FWIW, I don't have this issue, I have standard suspension (removed M-Sport as I didn't want it to be too hard)... which would be same as yours.

You do feel / hear the tyres on the rough stuff, but only the normal sounds you'd expect with 275/18's RFT's at the back. Sounds like you need some adjustments !
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Not entirely sure, but thanks for the info, Pete; just stating what I've come across. Hope resolution is found for the OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Thanks everyone for your replies. The car is only a week old. I will experiment with tyre pressures and if that doesn't work I will probably look at non- run-flats.
Appreciate 0