2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Hey guys new to the f10 and already got some trouble codes help please

05-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Eazyf10
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2.0f10

Hey guys new to the f10 and already got some trouble codes help please

Thanks in advance, I've owned multiple e46's and e30's but these new things with more electronics are sketching me out. Pics posted of codes I'm getting and so far some knowledge I've gained on face book

2012 bmw 528i 2.0t just wondering where I should start already have new coolant level sensor en route and oil level sensor

Took the car on a 5 hour drive and had no serious issues slight hesitation(no boost and what feels like a misfire recurring rarely)

Also I was told it takes 5.3 quarts of oil is that true ? And can I run 5w30 in it safely? I know it calls for 0w40
Attached Images

05-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Generic readers give generic codes, you need something specific for BMW.
That is the place to start. Otherwise you are guessing and throwing parts at it.
For now and future use,
For part numbers use,
www.realoem.com
For repair manuals, specs and such use,
www.newtis.info
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Eazyf10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Generic readers give generic codes, you need something specific for BMW.
That is the place to start. Otherwise you are guessing and throwing parts at it.
For now and future use,
For part numbers use,
www.realoem.com
For repair manuals, specs and such use,
www.newtis.info
What's a good bmw code reader ?
      05-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Just use this to look up your codes: http://bmwfault.codes
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyf10 View Post
What's a good bmw code reader ?
there are few available options.
I'm using Foxwell NT510 (BMW version) for my F10 2011 528i. it has quite a number of functions.
it already helped me with
- diagnosing engine cylinder misfire,
- registering new car battery,
- retracting electronic brake bodies on rear wheels when i replaced rear rotors/brake pads (if you don't use this service function then you'll need to dissemble electronic brake body on each rear wheel and manually wind in the electronic unit and afterwards push the piston in (as you do it on "regular" brakes without electronic brake option)
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Put the generic code reader back in the drawer and either get ISTA or pay someone with it to repair your vehicle as needed unless you want to waste time and money throwing parts at the car.

The N20 engine in your car uses a very specific 0W20 LL14FE+ oil. Do not put anything else in it unless you want to eat the engine. Change the oil frequently unless you want to eat the engine. Don't use garbage oil unless you want to eat the engine.

The coolant level sensor should be replaced with the expansion tank, usually the tank itself causes the sensor to fail as it leaks internally into the sensor.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
Eazyf10
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Put the generic code reader back in the drawer and either get ISTA or pay someone with it to repair your vehicle as needed unless you want to waste time and money throwing parts at the car.

The N20 engine in your car uses a very specific 0W20 LL14FE+ oil. Do not put anything else in it unless you want to eat the engine. Change the oil frequently unless you want to eat the engine. Don't use garbage oil unless you want to eat the engine.

The coolant level sensor should be replaced with the expansion tank, usually the tank itself causes the sensor to fail as it leaks internally into the sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post

I like this response most of all lol I will be following your lead great sir you seem to know exactly what your talking about and I don't want to eat my engine.. as far as the oil, I live in a very hot climate Miami Florida would it be safe to run 0w20 in this climate ? Summers coming and it's usually 90+ degrees Fahrenheit maybe high 80's on a good day