2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications burgertuning said I need new OBD revision cable!

05-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

burgertuning said I need new OBD revision cable!

okay you guys. I'm here at work pulling a 12 hour shift and I've been researching here as well as the N54 forums (they talk a whole different lingo there!) and i'm hoping you guys can help me out?

I sent an email to Burgertuning with some questions and they asked me to take a picture of the JB4 I bought from a forum member here. according to them they said I have the older version which can be upgraded to the newer OBD harness. it did come with the data cable. I haven't got a response back with how much that would cost me but it's something I can't purchase now but maybe down the road as I add more components to the car ie CP, DP, ect...for now the only upgrade I have is my Meister's. Install looks pretty easy from Burgertunings picture guide and instructions

lots of questions that I think I know the answer to but wanna check with you guys?

1) can I install this and call it a day for the time being?
what map does this default to?

2) if the previous owner had a selected map, will that map be present or because it was disconnected does it default back to a certain map?

3) I'm assuming because this is the older version and no OBD was used I don't need it to use it as an option?

4) if I don't upgrade to the newer OBD harness would I still be able to run the Blutooth option?

5) if anyone who ordered the new OBD harness how much did you pay?

please consult me, chime in and drop some knowledge as my brain is fried from all the reading and watching YouTube videos! Not that I had anything better to do at work appreciate your guys help

also, it did come with an additional blue wire connection that I don't know what it's for?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-06-2019 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So the new conversion cable is only $35 from Burgertuning.. I asked them do I need the OBD cable that plugs inside the car to the OBD port and he said he does not understand what I'masking? He said I need the new conversion cable and I would also need the data cable or bluetooth? I have the data cable that plugs into the laptop unless there's a newer data cable?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
So the new conversion cable is only $35 from Burgertuning.. I asked them do I need the OBD cable that plugs inside the car to the OBD port and he said he does not understand what I'masking? He said I need the new conversion cable and I would also need the data cable or bluetooth? I have the data cable that plugs into the laptop unless there's a newer data cable?
Data cable is the usb cable that plugs into the jb4 board and than to your laptop. If you have that than you dont need new data cable.

I think the new jb4 board cost close to 200 dollars. I dont know how conversion cables going to help, but they know best if they feel like answering you.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Data cable is the usb cable that plugs into the jb4 board and than to your laptop. If you have that than you dont need new data cable.

I think the new jb4 board cost close to 200 dollars. I dont know how conversion cables going to help, but they know best if they feel like answering you.
I'll mess around with the JB4 for the time being until I get the opportunity to do a real tune. With all the house projects it seems like my performance to do list is getting pushed to the bottom. So even If i can get the car to run on map 1 that'll satisfy my needs until than
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I'll mess around with the JB4 for the time being until I get the opportunity to do a real tune. With all the house projects it seems like my performance to do list is getting pushed to the bottom. So even If i can get the car to run on map 1 that'll satisfy my needs until than
Speaking from experience, you want map 2 or map 5. Map 1 feel cool for a few days than you wont notice that power difference on map 1. If you have aftermarket intake though, you will enjoy the whistle sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Speaking from experience, you want map 2 or map 5. Map 1 feel cool for a few days than you wont notice that power difference on map 1. If you have aftermarket intake though, you will enjoy the whistle sounds.
ah good to know. hopefully i'll get CP, DP and intake done by Summer. Burgertuning actually emailed me back to confirm that because the unit is used that whatever map the user set it to last will not change until you go in and change it again.
Appreciate 0