2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Drive Train Malfunction

05-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #45
Sunnyc123abc
Private
Rep
Drives: 550xi

you should make a new thread
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #46
jasonbourne60
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Hello all -
I have a 2013 BMW 528 xdrive....I am not really handy with cars...( don't know anything other than fill the gas)
I recently noticed that my car would vibrate and engine made funny sound idling...I have only 85K miles on it...Took it to dealer ...Here is what he says :
see attachment...
They took the car for drive and while accelarating they felt hesiytation and "Drivtrain malfuntion light came on"
Basically he says :
"...Found Faults present on DME, Misfire Faults Cyl 2 - Cyl 3 Fuel Injection is switched off
Ran test Plan Misfire Detection, A leak was detected in High Pressure Fuel System, Needs Injectors and renew Spark Plugs, Removed Spark Plugs,Found wet on bottom"

They recommended changing fuel injectors and renew spark plugs and both front axle boots...

I have no idea what all this means...their estimate is around 6K
This is crazy...Only 85K brand new single owner car, no issues and maintained all along.

What should I do?

Is it safe to drive for a few weeks? I am thinking of trading it in and buying a new car.
Please help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #47
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne60 View Post
Hello all -
I have a 2013 BMW 528 xdrive....I am not really handy with cars...( don't know anything other than fill the gas)
The DTM may clear with a restart, but you still have problems that will need to be fixed.

IMO, based on personal experience and reading on forums like this, your problems are perfectly reasonable and believable, but the price quoted to repair is not.

Under extended warranty (paid 7yr plan) I had 2 injectors replaced at one incident, and all 6 injectors replaced again after another incident. Assuming they actually did the work written on the work order I find the second replacement of all 6 surprising but... The dealer also replaced all 6 spark plugs during the second incident.

With age, injectors failing here and there are not abnormal. Spark plug replacement is a maintenance item. Front axle boots are looking like a common repair with age too. If it's just the boots, that means you caught a tear early enough to repair the boot instead of both driveshafts so that's a good thing.

Find a reputable independent BMW mechanic. Maybe some folks here can even suggest some.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #48
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

what the scanner say?
Appreciate 0