2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Replacement for ashtray on front console, near iDrive knob

07-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugerjq View Post
On my E90 I had a hole in the dash to put it in. With this one depending on the pants you wear it sometimes falls out and ends up between the seat and centre console. This happened twice. So I prefer to put it somewhere were I can get it again.
Simple and elegant. Good use of an old mouse pad. And I agree that sometimes, it is not convenient to keep it in your pocket, and certainly, having to open the cup holder compartment isn't the best idea either (from the standpoint of looks).

Lexus apparently is moving towards (or already has) a credit card shaped key that you keep in your wallet. I like that idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #24
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I think a new tailor is the answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #25
rogerbmw
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 525D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post
I took my ashtray out and the space is a bit more useful now. I have my garage remote in there (it's a small keychain type) and it fits perfect. The BMWs sold here don't come with the home link mirrors.

I didn't know that there was a replacement tray... I would like to see one and order if it's useful enough. I wouldn't use the ashtray compartment for small items without a replacement tray because there are gaps in the receptacle underneath that small items like coins might slip though.

btw. do not use the cup holders (in the front console) to store coins because the coin will go in to the folding mechanism and will jam. If a coin slips in to the folding mechanism, the lid won't stay closed or won't open if you close it with force. I tried this and don't recommend it.

I did store some coins in the remote fob/key holder built in to the cup holder but rattles quite a bit when driving. It is handy none the less if you use coins often. We use a lot of coins in Chile when traveling on highways as you'll encounter a toll booth every 30 minutes or so.
How did you remove your ashtray as I'm trying and cannot manage (without breaking it)?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #26
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Insert for storage tray

BMW does make a storage tray insert for the smokers tray we all get with our cars. The part number is 51-16-9-213-657, with a list price of $14.30... I paid $7.32 with my car club discount.

To remove the smoker tray, insert your fingers into the two opposite notches and pull straight up and out. If you want the advantage of having the light illuminate the tray at night, you will need to drill a small hole on the side of the new storage tray. BMW did not make a proivision for this in the tray, you will see that the smoker tray one has it on the long side closest to the shifter. All you need to do is to line up the center of the clear diffuser on the smoker tray, and drill a 3/16" (or so) hole at that same location.

The Key/Remote will fit on its side in the new tray, but will not fit flat.

The other item I bought was an additional "stopper" for the 12 volt supply in order to use on the 12 volt source under the glovebox. Can't imagine anything getting up in there, but thought it best to keep the dust and crud out of there when I do need to use it.
Appreciate 0