2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Over heating?? Low on coolant in sports mode

03-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
5eries619
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i x drive

Over heating?? Low on coolant in sports mode

Anyone ever experience constantly having low coolant when driving in sports mode?

I have been driving on sports mode now for the last few month and have now seen low coolant (twice) light in my dash. I have looked around and found no sign of a leak. No dry liquid anywhere. I have topped it off with BMW approved coolant.
Not sure at this point what might be causing it other then car is running excessively hot in sports mode.
This is the most I've driven my car in sports mode since I purchased it so it's never been an issue when I'm driving in economy or normal modes.

I am still under warranty just haven't had the opportunity to schedule a repair/diagnostic. Just concerned if I should taking time off to get to my dealer
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Well recently i started to drive my car more in sports mode and guess what? Either my radiator blew up or the pipe exploded, i will find out tomorrow. But yesterday I push the car in sports mode and that happened, though I think in my case it was bound to haplen with my car being at 69k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Coolant isn't "used" so there is a leak somewhere...
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

everyone keeps saying that coolant cannot be used or burned, but this is so common for BMW's especially when driven overly aggressive. I know there are not any leaks anywhere, and I know of other vehicles (friends/family, not BMW) that also needed half a quart of coolant topped up recently so I am a little confused here.

anyways.. I think it is normal. Just be sure to check levels often when the car is cold. coolant levels read higher when the engine is warm so you will not get an accurate reading.

also, you can use 50/50 distilled water and coolant mix, so dont worry if you're on the road. just keep some distilled water with you and you'll be fine.

as for the high temp issue (also normal) try removing your plastic engine cover. this will help because it is a heat trap.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
5eries619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Well recently i started to drive my car more in sports mode and guess what? Either my radiator blew up or the pipe exploded, i will find out tomorrow. But yesterday I push the car in sports mode and that happened, though I think in my case it was bound to haplen with my car being at 69k miles.
What a bummer lmk what you find out I'm curious. I'm going to make a phone call today at my local dealer and have them check it out. I've got a beater that I drive and I haven't filled with coolant in over 2 years and still running strong.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
5eries619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
everyone keeps saying that coolant cannot be used or burned, but this is so common for BMW's especially when driven overly aggressive. I know there are not any leaks anywhere, and I know of other vehicles (friends/family, not BMW) that also needed half a quart of coolant topped up recently so I am a little confused here.

anyways.. I think it is normal. Just be sure to check levels often when the car is cold. coolant levels read higher when the engine is warm so you will not get an accurate reading.

also, you can use 50/50 distilled water and coolant mix, so dont worry if you're on the road. just keep some distilled water with you and you'll be fine.

as for the high temp issue (also normal) try removing your plastic engine cover. this will help because it is a heat trap.
I don't think this is normal. I have a beater 2003 lancer and I've never had to refill my coolant since I've owned it. Definitely has never gotten the same love or treatment this bmw has.
This isn't acceptable for a 50k car that I've owned for less then 2 years. I purchased this brand new bec I didn't want to deal with mechanical issues. Not saying you can't have issues on a new car but it shouldn't be happening.
I'm not about to start carrying around distilled water, I would rather have this thing break down and have warranty deal with it.
Sign here sir and you can drive off with your 100k car and ohh by the way you get this 1 gallon of distilled water. :
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5eries619 View Post
I don't think this is normal. I have a beater 2003 lancer and I've never had to refill my coolant since I've owned it. Definitely has never gotten the same love or treatment this bmw has.
This isn't acceptable for a 50k car that I've owned for less then 2 years. I purchased this brand new bec I didn't want to deal with mechanical issues. Not saying you can't have issues on a new car but it shouldn't be happening.
I'm not about to start carrying around distilled water, I would rather have this thing break down and have warranty deal with it.
Sign here sir and you can drive off with your 100k car and ohh by the way you get this 1 gallon of distilled water. :
you're overreacting. Its not uncommon for cars to eat through coolant - some do, some dont.. I guess it just depends on the coolant system and how the car is driven.

if you want to wait for the car to blow up and have warranty take care of it, it sounds like you dont care about your car very much. perhaps you should go back to your lancer in that case? its a better car since it doesnt burn any coolant right?

it takes 30 seconds to check your coolant level and top up. if you arent happy with this, sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
5eries619
Private
Rep

you're overreacting. Its not uncommon for cars to eat through coolant - some do, some dont.. I guess it just depends on the coolant system and how the car is driven.

if you want to wait for the car to blow up and have warranty take care of it, it sounds like you dont care about your car very much. perhaps you should go back to your lancer in that case? its a better car since it doesnt burn any coolant right?

it takes 30 seconds to check your coolant level and top up. if you arent happy with this, sell the car.[/QUOTE]
I'm over reacting??? no im being realistic!!!

I'm going to start a thread and do a research for you and give you some factual data.
I guarantee you no one in there right mind would be willing to pay 50-60-70-80-90-100-150-200k and think that is no big deal that they have to look under their hood every month to make sure their coolant isn't running dry. I own a Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Prius and a Mitsubishi Lancer all of which don't have that issue. If it did non that isn't taken care of in my routine maintenance. Should be no different then this BMW.

I think your being a bit unrealistic to think that a car is more important then the family I have to transport in it. I drive from SD to LA sometimes SF and getting stranded in my car in the middle of the night or in a busy freeway during the day bec my car over heated should be the least of my worries.

If your car is more or as important as your family maybe you need to rethink you priorities. At the end of the day this is a car I rely on to get me places. The car is replaceable and buying another one isn't a problem.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:

I been thinking about removing engine cover
      03-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
I been thinking about removing engine cover
which engine do you have?

as far as I know, the N54/N55 has foam insulation underneath the cover which you should remove as well.

temps have been lowered by roughly 10C celcius for me. this should help your engine oil as well as gaskets last longer which are both sensitive to heat.

I recommend you have it removed in basically any weather 30F or warmer.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
which engine do you have?

as far as I know, the N54/N55 has foam insulation underneath the cover which you should remove as well.

temps have been lowered by roughly 10C celcius for me. this should help your engine oil as well as gaskets last longer which are both sensitive to heat.

I recommend you have it removed in basically any weather 30F or warmer.
N63
      03-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Check the Y connection under the turbos if its an N63. I replaced my factory plastic Y fitting with a brass Y fitting from Autozone.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #13
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
What a bummer lmk what you find out I'm curious. I'm going to make a phone call today at my local dealer and have them check it out. I've got a beater that I drive and I haven't filled with coolant in over 2 years and still running strong.
Lower radiator blew up, split in half.
Sad thing is thise things arent covered under warrant, i am thinking if they try to over charge me then I will tow it back (for free) and do it my self.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #14
5eries619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Quote:
Lower radiator blew up, split in half.
Sad thing is thise things arent covered under warrant, i am thinking if they try to over charge me then I will tow it back (for free) and do it my self.
Damn what a bummer. Good luck! I hope everything turns out fine and it isn't too much of a pain to repair.
I've Setup an appointment to have mines checked out;however, in the mean time I placed a card board box under the hood after a run up and down the freeway and no leak all day.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm over reacting??? no im being realistic!!!

I'm going to start a thread and do a research for you and give you some factual data.
I guarantee you no one in there right mind would be willing to pay 50-60-70-80-90-100-150-200k and think that is no big deal that they have to look under their hood every month to make sure their coolant isn't running dry. I own a Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Prius and a Mitsubishi Lancer all of which don't have that issue. If it did non that isn't taken care of in my routine maintenance. Should be no different then this BMW.

I think your being a bit unrealistic to think that a car is more important then the family I have to transport in it. I drive from SD to LA sometimes SF and getting stranded in my car in the middle of the night or in a busy freeway during the day bec my car over heated should be the least of my worries.

If your car is more or as important as your family maybe you need to rethink you priorities. At the end of the day this is a car I rely on to get me places. The car is replaceable and buying another one isn't a problem.
so sell the fucking car instead of whining like a little bitch that you need to spend 30 seconds topping up coolant once a month! jesus christ!!

or even better yet, how about you re -ngineer the cooling system so it doesnt use coolant instead of complaining?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

Quote:
so sell the fucking car instead of whining like a little bitch that you need to spend 30 seconds topping up coolant once a month! jesus christ!!

or even better yet, how about you re -ngineer the cooling system so it doesnt use coolant instead of complaining?
You need to relax, the coolant system is a closed loop. Coolant should not be topped up if it requires topping up once a month there's a problem. It's either leaking coolant or he potentially has head gasket issues. Please stop spreading bad advice and the attitude needs to be turned down a notch. If you don't like how he treats his car thats his problem but theres no need to curse at people who disagree with you
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Asian View Post
You need to relax, the coolant system is a closed loop. Coolant should not be topped up if it requires topping up once a month there's a problem. It's either leaking coolant or he potentially has head gasket issues. Please stop spreading bad advice and the attitude needs to be turned down a notch. If you don't like how he treats his car thats his problem but theres no need to curse at people who disagree with you
I dont care if someone disagrees with me, all I'm saying is that he should get rid of the damn thing and go back to his lancer if he is upset with it.

If it is a closed loop, I do not understand where the coolant goes. my friends and family both have brand new Mazda's and an acura. we checked for leaks (theyre brand new cars! no leaks!) and both needed to be topped up half a litre. the pace the BMW eats coolant is ridiculous, but that car doesnt have leaks either. all 3 cars have perfectly fine head gaskets. they seem to use it much quicker when driven aggressively.

this is also a known issue with the new B58 in the 340i (likely because they are driven aggressively)

I am honestly really confused here.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

Quote:
I dont care if someone disagrees with me, all I'm saying is that he should get rid of the damn thing and go back to his lancer if he is upset with it.

If it is a closed loop, I do not understand where the coolant goes. my friends and family both have brand new Mazda's and an acura. we checked for leaks (theyre brand new cars! no leaks!) and both needed to be topped up half a litre. the pace the BMW eats coolant is ridiculous, but that car doesnt have leaks either. all 3 cars have perfectly fine head gaskets. they seem to use it much quicker when driven aggressively.

this is also a known issue with the new B58 in the 340i (likely because they are driven aggressively)

I am honestly really confused here.
Being confused is one thing calling someone a whiney bitch was a bit much. Anyway its supposed to be a close system but as anything in this world it not perfect. Some coolant lose is to be expected but not enough to require topping of that frequently. The new G10 and G30 also have the issue but theres a bulletin that its because of improper bleeding at the delivery.

For the F30s theres a bullentin related to transmission cooler which you wouldnt see since we dont have a dipstick

There is an internal failure of the automatic transmission oil cooler, allowing coolant to mix with transmission fluid. Possible faulty coolers were built between 6/6/2013 and 8/4/2013.

Also theres a bullentin as of June 2016 that says software issue in FEM can cause low coolant light on F30s

Nothing to do with how hard the vehicle is driven
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Every couple of months of running hard coolant mysteriously disappears for me too. Reservoir is at the low line
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0