2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Remote control for my garage.

12-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10 View Post
I tried to push the button on the overhead unit inside the garage and then press the Homelink button in car but that did not work.
Let's try this. Please read Post #9 again. Now take a remote from anything, even your TV, the kind that sends a regular infrared signal and program that into the car button following the manual (steady light, flashing, etc.). Now try and push the button on the overhead unit and then press the Homelink button in the car.

Question: When you push the button on the overhead unit inside the garage, do you see a steady or flashing light turning on? You must see a light for it to work and have someone look at this light while you are pushing the Homelink in your car to confirm that it received the signal by either flashing or going steady. The car also needs to be very close to the overhead unit when you do this - preferably inside the garage. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Now take a remote from anything, even your TV, the kind that sends a regular infrared signal and program that into the car button following the manual (steady light, flashing, etc.).
Homelink does not work with infrared remote!
Only RF! You can't program you TV remote into your car's Homelink......

And I don't quite understand your post #9.
For rolling codes, you need to program your car Homelink with your original garage door opener remote first. After your car learn the remote, you then press the Overhead learn button to identify your car's Homelink as valid.

I can't see why you need to use another remote! It's not supposed to work this way.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #25
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Homelink does not work with infrared remote!
Only RF! You can't program you TV remote into your car's Homelink......

And I don't quite understand your post #9.
For rolling codes, you need to program your car Homelink with your original garage door opener remote first. After your car learn the remote, you then press the Overhead learn button to identify your car's Homelink as valid.

I can't see why you need to use another remote! It's not supposed to work this way.
OK you are right, my bad about infrared. I used my non-rolling code garage door opener to do the gate I referred to on Post #9. The Homelink button simply wouldn't work with my gate until I put in the code from the garage opener into it first. That's all. Maybe I got confused and I did something else? I don't know. I was just trying to help AWF10. He said he already tried what you suggest and still doesn't work. Perhaps he could use your help?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
AME
Rep
Drives: 550i

Is there a way to program Homelink to be used instead of an HID ProxKey II Fob?

http://www.hidglobal.com/documents/proxkey_ds_en.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #27
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Perhaps he could use your help?
The link I posted back in post #2 is a very good guide.
Try to read it carefully and follow it step by step, especially the time you need to hold the buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AME View Post
Is there a way to program Homelink to be used instead of an HID ProxKey II Fob?
Probably not, Homelink RF remote uses a completely different technology to the RFID used by HID ProxKey.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #28
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

finally got it to work the other day...thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #29
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Is it possible you have a rolling code garage opener? If so, what you describe doing will not work because the Homelink in your car will not take the signal from the remote you are now using to open that door. You need to push the button at the overhead unit inside the garage and then (within 30 seconds or so) get in the car and press the Homelink button you want programmed to open it. I hope this helps.
Part of BMW's owner fitness regime. You have to get up on a stepladder, find the button by feel, press it, then scramble down and into the car within the countdown to press the homelink button and set the code. 30 reps, please.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #30
5fix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2018 m550i

I agee with nosnoop. The garage door should open when the key is present without the engine on. I do not like that I have to start the engine in the garage before I can open the garage door. This is going to be serious accident for someone and a lawsuit for BMW. So if someone is affixiated in their BMW in a closed garage...is it a suicide or was it a mistake?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #31
mlo166
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

To 5FIX and others:
The BMW does not need to have its engine be "cranked" to operate door/gate opener accessory. Simple put your key into your ignition and press "Start/Stop" button for about 2 seconds, or more, while NOT PRESSING ON THE BRAKES. All electronic systems will be on, including lights. Use the door opener. After door/gate has opened, press brakes and press "Start/Stop" button to crank (or start) engine. This programming function was not a mistake by BMW. Also, you can have BMW dealership change your options next time you are having it serviced!

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR
Quote:
hrrm...i tried to program using one of my garage door opener remote that came with my Overhead garage door system but still that didnt work. Held 2 outside buttons until rapid flash then let go. Pushed and held #1 on mirror simultaneously holding button down on original remote until flash rapidly then let both buttons go. Tested the homelink on mirror and still doesnt work. So fustrating.
Is it possible you have a rolling code garage opener? If so, what you describe doing will not work because the Homelink in your car will not take the signal from the remote you are now using to open that door. You need to push the button at the overhead unit inside the garage and then (within 30 seconds or so) get in the car and press the Homelink button you want programmed to open it. I hope this helps.
Yes! Yes! Yes! If your BMW homelink has very poor range... It works only when you are nearly on top of it...just follow the last step described here....open the garage door's cover...near the light bulb you will find a black (usually) unmarked button. Depress this button and run back to you car and hit the button that you already programmed to open the door. This will fix the range problem. Make sure your car's ignition was on.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #33
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR
Quote:
hrrm...i tried to program using one of my garage door opener remote that came with my Overhead garage door system but still that didnt work. Held 2 outside buttons until rapid flash then let go. Pushed and held #1 on mirror simultaneously holding button down on original remote until flash rapidly then let both buttons go. Tested the homelink on mirror and still doesnt work. So fustrating.
Yes! Yes! Yes! If your BMW homelink has very poor range... It works only when you are nearly on top of it...just follow the last step described here....open the garage door's cover...near the light bulb you will find a black (usually) unmarked button. Depress this button and run back to you car and hit the button that you already programmed to open the door. This will fix the range problem. Make sure your car's ignition was on.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #34
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
My biggest pet peeves is that it does not work with ignition off.
I don't like the idea of starting the engine before opening the garage door; that would just be mishap waiting to happen. Otherwise, I would have to press on with foot off brake to start the electronics, press the homelink, and then start the engine. My other car's homelink works all the time.

I prefer it to only work with the ignition on.

If you leave your car outside the house and someone breaks into your car, bingo, they are then in your house!

Roger[/QUOTE]

yes you are right, i don't have a problem opening my garage first and then get into my F10
Appreciate 0