2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum VDC - Some questions from a potential Newbie

03-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

VDC - Some questions from a potential Newbie

All,

Currently testing a 520 dSE Auto F10 with the thought of getting one as my next company car.

The car I have on test has VDC but I will not be able to get this if I order my company cars as NO options are allowed!!!!

I can certainly feel the difference between Comfort and Sport in the ride and steering but unless I am imagining it, the engine feels quicker in Sport mode.

As I can't get VDC, what will a non-VDC car ride and perform like? Similar to Comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

The toggle switch by the gear lever will still be there on a car not equipped with VDC. However, you will lose the Comfort+ setting. Sport mode sharpens the throttle response, uses more of the rev range (and generally sits in one gear lower) and sharpens the steering and if you had VDC, would also stiffen the dampers.

In view of you not being able to specify any options, the car will come with 17" wheels and therefore large-ish tyre walls, so will ride reasonably comfortably. The ride and handling will not be as well controlled as a car with VDC. Are you able to test a car in standard trim to make sure it meets your needs?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
surreybmwdriver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 525d Imperial Blue

All new builds of F1x enable you to choose the drive mode using the buttons on the center console and AFAIK Sport and Comfort options are included regardless of the options you get so you can choose Sport even if you don't have the VDC option.

The primary benefit of the VDC option is that it allows you to change the chassis configuration in Sport and Comfort+ modes. I don't think VDC has any impact on the configuration of the power train, which makes the engine feel more sluggish or quicker.

The car I test drove was a 520d M Sport without VDC and it had all the drive modes except Comfort+ but I am sure the other forum members can confirm if this is the case.

Update: just saw fat dog's reply. Completely agree with the point raised. Strongly recommend that you drive a car without VDC to make sure you like the drive.

Last edited by surreybmwdriver; 03-31-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I may be mistaken then by assuming it has VDC. The modes on offer of this car i have on test drive are Comfort, Sport and the Economy mode. No Comfort+ or Sport+ options on this car.

Does that mean no VDC?

If does have the Dynamic package and is running 19 inch wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep

I'd suggest not, unless maybe the very earliest cars to feature VDC only had these modes available.

Dynamic Package is essentially just styling tweaks and IMO a bit of a misnomer.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

It's only a couple of months old so I guess it does not have VDC.

Good news.

I assume it feels a bit quicker in sport mode as it uses more revs as per your earlier post. I can certainly feel the steering weight up but it does also feel as if it rides worse in Sport mode, maybe I'm imagining it

Good news though as although the car I've got rides firm (that will be the 19's), standard 17's should soften that up nicely and I'll still have the Sport mode to play around with the steering and revs.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep

Definitely won't have it then.

The steering sharpens up in Sport mode, so maybe this is what you're perceiving to be affecting the ride.

You're quite right about the better ride on 17's instead of 19's, but just be prepared that the handling might not be quite as sweet as the car you have driven. I'm sure you won't be disappointed though.
Appreciate 0